Every Day Collar?

MishB

I am fairly new to showing and enjoying it, but I am having a bit of trouble with every day collars.

I like my dog to wear a collar, but all of the normal collars seem to leave an indent on his neck fur that stays there after taking it off.

I have been leaving him without a collar to prevent this happening but its a pain not having a collar on him, I am using a mendota slip lead for walks at the moment.

Someone told me I need to have his rego tags on him so I do a want a collar for normal use.

What do ppl use?

I don't have collars on my coated setters for the very reason you say, about it leaving a mark in the neck. the setters aren't showdogs anymore, but I hate the line in the neck coat.

with having the tags on his collar, why not just get a collar you can put on him for walks (use instead of, or with the slip lead) which you can take off him when you get home and he's safe in the house?

Edited by SparkyTansy

My dog isn't a show dog and isn't coated, but she still goes naked at home :) I just don't like the sound of tags jingling and her collar is quick thick and heavy, she seems to enjoy having it off. She only wears it when we leave the property, or if we have guests over who might accidentally let her out.

I've heard that the herm sprenger fur saver check chains don't cut coat, maybe you can make a limited slip collar with those sort of links or something?

Edited by DiscoDobe

I don't have collars on my dogs at home either. I don't like the mark it makes in their coat and I worry about strangulation after a friends dog hung herself from her collar :cry:

Mine have all their tags on their walking collars but that's it.

Edited by Bjelkier

I don't have collars on my coated setters for the very reason you say, about it leaving a mark in the neck. the setters aren't showdogs anymore, but I hate the line in the neck coat.

with having the tags on his collar, why not just get a collar you can put on him for walks (use instead of, or with the slip lead) which you can take off him when you get home and he's safe in the house?

Same here with my CKCS (both show and non show), figured it's not necessary since they are indoors most of the time anyway, but my GSD does wear a collar and his I.D. tags as he lives outdoors and people are a bit funny about roaming GSD's (not that he ever has mind you. :)

Funny thing about council tags, now that they only issue a "once off" tag and not annually, it's amazing how many get lost, buried or chewed up in the first 12 months. So try enforcing the wearing of tags when you don't re-issue them local council! :rasberry:

My dogs don't wear collars at home, and the collars they wear when they are out and about have their tags on them.

I have heard that rolled leather collars do less damage to coats (I have no experience with this, but have been told this by someone!).

Something else - how tight is the collar? maybe if it is looser it will not leave a mark?

You can try rolled leather - it might not leave such a mark. If I have a collar on mine for any length of time I use a cloth martingale, Which doesn't seem to leave such a mark. Perhaps as it is not done up so firmly?

Like this one: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Martingales-of-47905/1-Inch-Fabric-Collars-/_i.html?_fsub=469457919&_sid=9348899&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

My collars are very special every day collars but definitely not for a coated show dog. My show dogs don't wear collars either, but after their show career is finished, they get cut off and wear glamorous collars every day.

None of my dogs, either pet or show wear collars at home. Not just because it marks the coat but because so many dogs die from collar accidents. I have multiple dogs and they could easily get a jaw caught under another dogs collar and accidents strangler heather dog whilst trying to free themselves.

Whenever they leave my house they have collars on. But I have secure fencing and they are all microchipped.

ETA ironically I think I have a collar fetish and my dogs have tons of collars LOL

Edited by indigirl

Hmmm.... I think I do need a collar on my dogs mainly because while they are safe at home I do have lots of kids coming in and out of my house constantly, the risk of a dog slipping out the front door behind a few of them is a worry. A collar is something the kids can grab fairly easily rather than a handful of fur or skin. The dogs never try to 'do a runer' with me or my hubby, but if its the boys and their mates then they are out like a shot! I live on a fairly busy street which also means if they get out then the risk to their safety is a big concern.

The big dog necklaces look like they wouldnt leave too much of a mark, I will have a look at some rolled leather ones too, until I can either talk hubby into moving to a quieter area or convince council we can build a big fence, or teach my kids to never leave the doors open!