How To Decide Which Rescue Group?

I've just been helping a friend through a relatively horrific experience with a rescue dog. They were given limitd information about the dog and then some issues showed up, these were sort of brushed off by the foster carer even though they really were quite extreme and as a result the new dog will now most likely have to be returned due to severe aggression issues.

My friend is quite upset at this on many levels. They really wanted to help out a dog that needed a second chance, but they can't have themselves and their current dog being put in danger by this dog.

Anyway, if and when they feel ready to get another dog I'd like to be able to give them some pointers on what to look for and ask of a rescue group so that they can be confident they are dealing with a group that assesses their dogs well and places their dogs appropriately. I'm hoping that this experience hasn't turned them off the rescue option as I know that they have always been conscious of trying to give dogs a home that were needing a second chance.

So anyway, if you have tips that I can pass on to them I'd love to know as it seems a bt of a minefield with little independent rescues and I know that there are many brilliant ones out there, I'd just like to be able to help them find the brilliant ones when the time comes.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry your friend went through this. Try and find a rescue group that are experienced with behaviour so that they can properly assess the dogs they are placing into homes. A few other ideas come to mind but I'm sure some more experienced rescue people will come to give you some advice.

It is always important to introduce a resident dog to a prospective new companion in the correct way.

I hear too many stories where problems have arisen when the new adopter just takes the new dog home and straight inside to meet their existing dog ....

Rescue groups (and their foster carers) should ensure that not only do they properly temp test an incoming dog but they do proper intros to prospective adopters when they have existing pets.

Any issues - no matter how small they may seem - with behaviour, must be pointed out and explained by a foster carer. Somethign that doesn't worry the foster carer might just worry an adopter and it's having the experience to know what to discuss.

I just placed a small dog with one eye into foster care, as an only dog. He has some food aggression issues which i discussed at length. I also explained that due to having one eye and some Chihuahua in him, he was not a candidate for a dog park nor should they allow other dog owners to "just let their dog say hello". I explained dogs with one eye are often snappy especially when approached on their blind side. I tried to cover all that I knew and all that my experience allows me to expect with that particular dog.

When doing adoptions, I normally go to the new owner's home (having already done intros, homechecks etc) and stay for an hour or so whilst the dog settles in for a bit, also just to see if anything crops up with the other dogs or behaviour wise.

Edited by dogmad

Another good thing I believe to ask a rescue group up front is whether they have a trainer/behaviouralist, experienced carer or similar protocol they can call upon to help the potential adopter through any issues which may arise.

Ask them what their temperament assesments entail and over what time span really you want to see that even if it is informally it does not end at the pick up from the pound.

Ask the carer what experiences the dog has had while in care, has it been with children, has it met many and varied dogs, other pets and gone out and done new things etc. The answers to these questions are not necessarily all deal breakers but it gives you and understanding as the potential adopter what your skill set will need to have to match the dog.

You want to see that the care factor does not end as soon as the trial/refund period ends. Sometimes especially between a resident and new dog things will arise once the dogs become comfortable with each other and within the family. This often varies in length of time between dogs.

As with all things you will enter into for a long term commitment the more up front questions you can ask and have answered to your satisfaction the better.

It might be good to find a rescue that has a trial period, and a policy of taking the dog back if it's not working out for some reason.

I personally wouldn't adopt from a rescue organisation that didn't ask me a lot of questions first - I don't mean a full on interrogation, but I wouldn't take a dog from somewhere that was thrusting it at me and happy for me to take it, without wanting to know about my dogs, our house, their routine, etc. The group that I intend to foster for soon ticks that box, and I'm sure are accused of making it too hard for people to rescue, sometimes. But that's not necessarily a bad thing ;)

I would really research the group, especially how long they have been going for, also stay clear of people who say they are a rescue group and as soon as they get dogs out of the pounds they go straight on their face book page and then ask for donations to help the dogs.

Just doesn't happen with reputable rescue.

Maree

CPR

Breed rescues are great and have a lot of experience with their own breed but there are a lot of great mixed breeds out there that would miss out on homes if everyone just went to a breed specific rescue. Also non breed specific rescue do take in pure breeds from time to time and provided they are a reputable rescue group would do just a good a job as a breed rescue in rehoming that dog to an appropriate home.

I agree with the trial period which is what we offer and new owners are encouraged to contact us at anytime if they have any settling in issues. After a few days we also contact the new owner to see how things are going and offer any advice if required. We also have a behavioural consultant and a few of our more experienced carers who are able to work with the new owners with settling in issues. We also conduct an extensive interview process as I think it is important to try as best you can to match the dog with the home environment and we also require a meet and greet with all family members including children and other animals. It is rare that if you take that extra bit of time and care with rehoming in the first place that dogs are returned. This does result in some prospective owners being upset from time to time when you have to tell them that they are not suitable for a particular dog which I guess is going to happen from time to time. It is not good for the dog to go off on a whim to an unsuitable home in the first place. Naturally if it is just not working out for whatever reason we will always take one of our dogs back and refund the adoption fee.

I do have a question about private rescue groups. You see the groups with websites and facebook sites and they have dogs in foster care and put up the listings. Now they often have an application form for anyone intersted in their dogs BUT why is it so hard to find out the names of the heads of some of the private rescue groups.

Basically I don't want to just handover private information such as home address to a faceless website that is staffed by 'volunteers' who could be anyone. Likewise there is often mention of 'someone' doing a yard inspection of their group of volunteers. Now I can see why some might want to check out the new home if they dont own a dog or havent owned a dog but what rules are in place for police checks and stuff of said volunteers?

RSPCA and AWL are businesses/charities whatever you want to call them but the people there are staff and work under the privacy constraints and before you hand over information you do actually go into their office. But the whole fill in this form and a volunteer will get back to you actaully makes me very uneasy when simply putting a direct contact for the person/s in charge (obviously diffrent from their usual adoption contact) would help a lot. Breeders sites usually have a name of the propriters so why is rescue so secretive (this is the way it comes across even thoguh Im sure they dont plan to look that way).

I do have a question about private rescue groups. You see the groups with websites and facebook sites and they have dogs in foster care and put up the listings. Now they often have an application form for anyone intersted in their dogs BUT why is it so hard to find out the names of the heads of some of the private rescue groups.

Probably for the same reasons you yourself have listed. Privacy. It's exactly why many groups have a PO Box, so those disgruntled or (dare I say) crazies can't actually track down their home addresses.

Basically I don't want to just handover private information such as home address to a faceless website that is staffed by 'volunteers' who could be anyone. Likewise there is often mention of 'someone' doing a yard inspection of their group of volunteers. Now I can see why some might want to check out the new home if they dont own a dog or havent owned a dog but what rules are in place for police checks and stuff of said volunteers?

I think, in this case, you have to weigh it up. Do you want to adopt this dog? Do you want to abide by the group's conditions? If yes, then comply. If not, then move on. You don't have to give away any private information - but if a group requires a yard check, done by a volunteer, then you can make the decision.

RSPCA and AWL are businesses/charities whatever you want to call them but the people there are staff and work under the privacy constraints and before you hand over information you do actually go into their office. But the whole fill in this form and a volunteer will get back to you actaully makes me very uneasy when simply putting a direct contact for the person/s in charge (obviously diffrent from their usual adoption contact) would help a lot. Breeders sites usually have a name of the propriters so why is rescue so secretive (this is the way it comes across even thoguh Im sure they dont plan to look that way).

Like I said above, for the reasons you have stated, people in Rescue also have to be cautious about how much private information they give away. But it's slightly different. These people are rescuing animals and rehoming them and, if there's no need to compromise their privacy and security, why should they? Can you imagine the amount of disgruntled applicants who are denied? I can tell you that there's much more privacy concerns in being a rescuer than there are being an adopter.

But, it's a choice.

Saying that, I would also be a little worried if, after the initial application, you didn't know an actual full name of someone in the Rescue Group.

Pretty much as Plan B said really. The difference for rescuers is that you want their personal information public, without the protection that working for the RSPCA offers their staff. Few rescuers have offices, they generally work out of heir own homes and use their personal phone numbers. Staff at the AWL or RSPCA don't have to expose themselves like that. So while you will be providing your personal information once, we are doing it multiple times a week. We're so concerned about privacy, our own and other people's, we crop faces out of happy home shots and never identify our adopters publically unless they do so themselves (for example on Facebook).

There's no reason why you can't email the group and introduce yourself before you provide any information and just say you'd like to know who you're talking to. And you don't have to tell them any details you don't wish to. You are also entitled to ask them how they store and use any information they give you.

By the time you get to a home check you'll probably have spoken to the rescue group several times, so should feel much more comfortable with them. If not, go with your gut and choose another group you do feel comfortable with.

1344603650[/url]' post='5925746']

See I wouldnt want to give my name and home address to a group that has no contact person listed and give little details of anything bar we have these dogs for rehoming (they dont need to have their home address there must be one or two main coordinators and a PO box is fine, mobile number is fine - I have that on my own site and if people want to pick things up from me I give the option of where I work or some other public place) especially as there are people out in society that I suspect may volunteer for such associations that I would never want my personal information seen by. Without a formal organisation with checks on personnel no matter how sincere I guess these voluntary groups can never know everything about their volunteers which is why like many I wouldnt just let anyone in to the house or property (dont worry Id also never have an open house inspection if selling a house either for the same reasons).

The only rescue group I did fill in a form and give details to (and never heard back from again so i guess they never had anything suitable) I had names, emails and phone contacts and the city they were in. And I knew that from their website and from initial contact (I think they also had info on what happens with said personal info). And really any 'disgruntled' clients are going to know names and contact for the group anyway arent they.

But I guess for us it will be the RSPCA or AwL since its just safer for our personal security and privacy.

One last question do the private rescue groups do the yard checks, full information requested etc to anyone who wants to help out when they ask for 'urgent foster' carers? You often see them ask for something urgently as in a day or two for temp care of animals.

Edited by rubiton

Voluntary organisations are subject to Privacy Laws as much as any commercial organisation.

My advice to rescue groups is to have the volunteers (and yourself) sign an agreement that they understand their privacy obligations, and put a section on your forms advising potential adopters of why their information is being collected and exactly what it will be used for.

Potential adopters are should be concerned about privacy and these things you can do will help put them at ease and let them know that you are a responsible organisation.

One last question do the private rescue groups do the yard checks, full information requested etc to anyone who wants to help out when they ask for 'urgent foster' carers? You often see them ask for something urgently as in a day or two for temp care of animals.

I foster and we completed a very detailed form and had a yard/house check done before we started fostering. We had the check done within several days of submitting our foster application. I have to admit some of the questions and procedures we make potential adopters go through must seem weird to someone new to it all. When I told someone that they'd have to have a yard check done before they met the dog, they used the phrase "rescue nazis". My dog Elbie was a free to a good home dog and Hoover was from a WKC breeder - in both instances, we emailed extensive details of our yard, our plans etc but to be honest, no one seemed to really care/check anything before they handed the dog over - so I can see why to the average person, the rigor of a rescue group's adoption checks must seem strange.

Edited by koalathebear

Thats sounds like very good advice greymate. And koalathebear - I guess if someone was getting a first dog then they might think differently to when you already have a dog and its reached old age in good condition so you must be doing something right but suddenly a group says sorry you must have a yard check by a volunteer person (not just say photos supplied showing fences as obvioulsy the dog would have to meet any potential new dog on neutral ground) to see if its suitable for a dog. And also good to hear that anyone out there who volunteers to foster is also under the same rules as those offering permanent homes.

Thats sounds like very good advice greymate. And koalathebear - I guess if someone was getting a first dog then they might think differently to when you already have a dog and its reached old age in good condition so you must be doing something right but suddenly a group says sorry you must have a yard check by a volunteer person (not just say photos supplied showing fences as obvioulsy the dog would have to meet any potential new dog on neutral ground) to see if its suitable for a dog. And also good to hear that anyone out there who volunteers to foster is also under the same rules as those offering permanent homes.

I think people get offended for different reasons. For instance, newbies might think: "I'm trying to rescue the dog - isn't a home with me better than being put to sleep at the pound" etc. It's tricky.

Also, the fact that some people have had a long-lived dog means experience but sometimes it's a matter of luck. For instance, one of my colleagues had a dog that lived till 12 and he's extremely proud of the fact that it never got wormed, vaccinated, taken to the vet and it was fed all sorts of things that dogs shouldn't eat like cooked chicken bones. It also lived unfenced.

To make sure that a rescue group does the right thing by each dog - and indeed the new owner - I think it is important to try to make sure that the adopter's situation (including fencing etc) is appropriate for the dog. It's a matter of communication - if groups can make sure that people understand it's for everyone's best interests in the long run and not just because of arbitrary rules and power trips, it probably helps. I will also freely admit that I suspect that there's no way any rescue would have rehomed a dog to us when we first started out. It's a bit different now but in the beginning, no :)

See there is a thread in this very forum where if I was the new home being 'checked' I would not let a random forum reader past the driveway let alone in the yard or house and Id be quite annoyed by the resuce handing out home address details. I know the rescue means well but just to ask someone reading a forum if they could go to someones address and into someone private property. Isnt it easier to check google earth and ask for some recent photos of the yard to show fencing clearly? Google streetview will even show the view from the street for any escape points in the front fences. Clearly if google and the supplied photos dont match you have a reason to ask further questions

See there is a thread in this very forum where if I was the new home being 'checked' I would not let a random forum reader past the driveway let alone in the yard or house and Id be quite annoyed by the resuce handing out home address details. I know the rescue means well but just to ask someone reading a forum if they could go to someones address and into someone private property. Isnt it easier to check google earth and ask for some recent photos of the yard to show fencing clearly? Google streetview will even show the view from the street for any escape points in the front fences. Clearly if google and the supplied photos dont match you have a reason to ask further questions

I presume you mean my thread? As an experienced rescuer, there's far more to doing a homecheck than simply looking at Google earth but I won't bore you with the finer points.

And I won't be publishing anyone's details so they become identifiable in a public forum. I have concerns about my privacy, why wouldn't I extend that to other people?

If it is my thread you are talking about - which suburb in Perth is it? What's the address? No, you don't know because I haven't put that there nor will I.

Edited by dogmad

Yes dog mad you are asking if 'someone' who is in perth can go and check someones house and yard. It seemed like you have asked for anyone on the forum who could help. If the request was for an official of a perth rescue group would have thought the request would have been for a perth rescue to contact you re assistance in a matter. Clearly your intentions are to make sure all is good for the dog but you wont know anything about someone saying 'yeah i'll do it' out of the blue with no other connections to people you know in real life.

I cannot see why provided photos that correlate to what you can see on google would not show if the yard was secure.

eTA I have seen other requests like that on here in the past from different groups and different cities so I was using your thread as an example of what is requested on a what seems a regular basis for some of the interstate adoptions from numerous groups not any in particular.

Edited by rubiton