My Sleepless Nights

GSDowner

My male german shepherd just turned 10.

He is in good health, slim, with good appetite, with good sight

and hearing: however

He gets excited hearing about a walk but it's different once outside.

It's more about stopping and sniffing than walking.

Looks like he does not like walking too much and

pulls me home (due to his age?)

My dog lives at home and sleeps in my room ( on my bed to be precise).

I let him outside before going to bed and yet he wakes me about twice a night.

I keep saying “No” but he is very insistent. Then I decide he probably needs

to go out so I give in. I must add we do not have a doggy door.

My question is: do you lovely people have such a problem and if so, how

do you deal with it? I would be most appreciatve of your advice as

I have not been getting enough sleep for ages.

Hi.

Do you see him toilet when you take him out?

First thing would be an 'older dog vet check' just to see that everything is working OK ..and that all joints are ok.. that pain is not cramping his style, and making him rwstless, that there are no infections or anything, and that all is well :)

If he has been doing this for ages..it is possibly a habit now..and he thinks that it is a normal part of night time.

If the vet checks come back all clear ... then maybe a change in fed times/different routine and some training could help?

Ahh, we have a dog like that. Sometimes it doesn't matter what we do, she will still wake us up and insist that she needs to go outside. We manage most nights by taking her out on a lead into the yard and having her toilet on lead right before bedtime. We also take her out on a lead if she needs to go out in the night, which allows us to see if she has indeed needed to go, or if she was just wanting to go outside for the fun of it. Also because we have a large house yard, so if we let her out on her own she will often just run around barking and avoid being caught again :scold: :laugh:

Rather than just letting him out, try taking him out the front and letting him mark a few bushes - this might help empty his bladder better than going out just for one wee which is what they tend to do in the garden.

Alternatively perhaps he is juts getting older and needs to go more often or is developing a bit of dementia. I have an old dog who i put out for a wee with the others, he goes, we all come back in and get into bed. The minute - and I mean the minute - the light is turned off, he gets up off the bed and goes outside again via the doggie door. About 5 mins later he comes back in and rather than jump back on the bed he rubs himself against the bed back and forth until i switch the light on and pick him up. We go through this several times some nights, i could throttle him ... he's about 12. I've had him 5 years and this is a recent change in his behaviour amongst other things, it's def. dementia.

Thanks Persephone and LongClaw

Mine goes for quite some time and I sleep standing like an idiot

waiting for him ensuring he does not bark.

At one time I waited and waited and then decided to investigate

so went looking for him in the garden and here he was under a tree

waiting for a possum (sitting scarred there) to fall at his feet

:rofl: :laugh:

Edited by GSDowner

Thats hilarious Dogman :laugh:

We always think of people as having dementia but to think of it

it's possible dogs may get it. Perhaps he does need a good check up

Hilarious unless you need a good night's sleep ... :)

By the way, when I said out the front, I meant onto the public path if possible -just a differnet place to get your dog to go properly.

As for dementia, i've had quite a few dogs with that over the 12 years i've owned dogs. Since 2006 I've been mainly taking old dogs on and dementia is quite common really.

I'm just about to go to bed, fingers crossed Echo will be behaving tonight ...

Edited by dogmad

Leaving My back door open would be ideal, except I hear complaints from one of the family members that

it's cold and that mice and rats may come in and I myself am worried my dog will bark;

and he does have a very loud low bark :)

Maybe just get a dog door? You can get portable ones if you're renting etc so no alterations to the existing door are required.

http://www.portablepetdoor.com/

Dogs often need to go out more frequently as they get older. Same as older people...

Would also advise a vet check just to make sure he is ok.

Arthritis may be a factor in why he doesn't like walks any more.

from one oldie to another, I second the suggestion of installing a doggy door. Although he has access to the house, Casper prefers to sleep outside and he usually puts himself out to bed around 10. In the morning he's already inside and waiting for us to get up and get their breakfast. Bella prefers to sleep inside (they have a bed each in the lounge and one each outside) and will use the doggy door to go out for her business.

As for the walks, mine still love their walks and although we complete the whole walk, I am now more relaxed about them stopping often to sniff and wee. I figure, only God knows how many walks they have left, they might as well enjoy them while they can. I'm not even as strict about having them heel and especially on the way home they are allowed to lead the way.

I would also suggest a vet check if you haven't already done one. I take mine twice a year since they're older.