Australian Customs

sheena

Clean Run have a new product HERE. At first I thought they must have been something for dogs, but they are obviously for the handler. Three varieties, one is a bit like Rescue Remedy. Do you think they would get through customs.

Clean Run have a new product HERE. At first I thought they must have been something for dogs, but they are obviously for the handler. Three varieties, one is a bit like Rescue Remedy. Do you think they would get through customs.

At about AUD$6 a box with free shipping, I'd be giving it a try regardless...not much to lose, really..... :)

Simple answer: Not permitted without a permit

For those encouraging people to just bring them in, that is irresponsible.

The product has Arnica Montana in it (under ICON classed as a plant item).

I have someone with me at the moment that works for AQIS and said that this product would be

confiscated and destroyed IF intercepted.

Also, the recipient would also be entered into a watch list database for AQIS and Customs

Edited by Pets1

If they are stopped, ask on what grounds.

They would come under lollies

This sort of information gets people into trouble.

If you do not understand the legalities of importing products, and what is, or is not allowed,

do as the OP has done, ask, and if you do not know the accurate answer, do not answer.

I have just spent 3 months trying to get a similar product into Australia which contained BOTH

Arnica Montana and Garlic Extract in it, after several thousand dollars, and headaches to boot

we have given up on getting the permit. Plant extracts, even highly refined require permits.

Everything else about the product would appear to be a "Lolly" HOWEVER, the specific ingredients

caused issue.

Strange thing is, lozenges for humans seem to totally fly under the radar… having a label "For Pets or Dogs"

raises more red flags for some reason.

The product has Arnica Montana in it (under ICON classed as a plant item).<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">I have someone with me at the moment that works for AQIS and said that this product would be<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">confiscated and destroyed IF intercepted.

Does your AQIS friend understand how homeopathic tinctures/lozenges are made ?

There would be absolutely no piece of identifiable arnica in these lozenges ..

the dilution rate probably means one molecule of arnica in several million of carrier . Hardly enough to warrant a disease fear.:)

trying to get a similar product into Australia which contained BOTH<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">Arnica Montana and Garlic Extract in it,

Was it homeopathic? Or a herbal preparation .

I don't know much about it , but surely herbs processed into pilules/tablets/tinctures would not be a threat to any crops/native environments?

I can understand packets of leaves/flowers/seed ..or items crafted from wood, etc ....

The product has Arnica Montana in it (under ICON classed as a plant item).<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); "><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">I have someone with me at the moment that works for AQIS and said that this product would be<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">confiscated and destroyed IF intercepted.

Does your AQIS friend understand how homeopathic tinctures/lozenges are made ?

There would be absolutely no piece of identifiable arnica in these lozenges ..

the dilution rate probably means one molecule of arnica in several million of carrier . Hardly enough to warrant a disease fear.:)

If listed on the label, as it should be (and on there website) that is all that is needed.

This item is available in Australia from naturopathic outlets, just slightly different formulation :D probably costs more though, there are also several other homeopathic remedies you can use if you just want and 'energy boost' as such ;)

Second this import item is heat treated, each lozenger is idividually vacum wrapped and then packet is also heat sealed, so if I can bring in an item which was loose in packet and although still sealed in original packet was declared on airport card as 'food item' and was totally fine.

However when I purchased several items from clean run in a bulk order it was stopped at border, opened for inspection and forwarded on to me all because it was DOG products none of which were edible only readable, and watchable and wearable, but I presume because it came via a dog outlet and sniffy dogs at customs may have thought it was pressie for them :rofl: I informed clean run via email that in future please ensure products were listed correctly on labelling for customs so this would not happen in future as on enquiry this was the problem they simply wrote "dog items" on the declaration sticker.

Dilution percentage means nothing, if it is listed as an active ingredient, that is that.

There are a lot of other factors involved.

Aside from items listed under ICON, you also have a massive list of "protected" items from the APVMA,

ANZTPA, etc etc…

Basically it is mind numbing how picky AQIS can be, not just based on the black and white regulations,

but in the way they are interpreted by there front line agents.

To throw something else into the fray, (to confuse matters even further) I am able to freely import

Terminalia Catappa leaves from Malaysia and Thailand… (used for black water fish for the tannins

and homeopathic properties)

This item is available in Australia from naturopathic outlets, just slightly different formulation :D probably costs more though, there are also several other homeopathic remedies you can use if you just want and 'energy boost' as such ;)

Yep- why not buy from an Aussie firm ...Brauer is one I use . :)

Edited by persephone

So, theoretically NO chicken instant noodle packets, or ginger lollies, or things like that should get in either? confused.gif

Theoretically, and realistically in this instance are totally different beasts.

I was originally answering the question in a technical manner, PLUS, making it clear that

it is a case of buyer beware… it may be confiscated, it may make it through, just be aware

before making the transaction.

Great idea, and I am sure if enough people wanted the product, from a designated source more power to the people trying to get a better price

However when I purchased several items from clean run in a bulk order it was stopped at border, opened for inspection and forwarded on to me all because it was DOG products none of which were edible only readable, and watchable and wearable, but I presume because it came via a dog outlet and sniffy dogs at customs may have thought it was pressie for them :rofl: I informed clean run via email that in future please ensure products were listed correctly on labelling for customs so this would not happen in future as on enquiry this was the problem they simply wrote "dog items" on the declaration sticker.

It should be noted Clean Run and a few other overseas suppliers are on AQIS/Customs watch lists (mainly due to people bringing bully bones and other meat products into Australia in the past.)

This was discussed at an industry seminar earlier this year, so regardless of what is x-rayed or "sniffed", good chance it will be opened and inspected. As mentioned above, it seems

there was no issue with the items all making it through. If items are not listed correctly, or at all, and something 'Interesting' is found, it won't just be that item removed, the entire

shipment may be withheld and destroyed (unless an appeal is lodged and successful)

Edited by Pets1

Each individual item is mailed as individuals. It comes along a conveyor belt and x-rayed and or sniffed. They aren't unloaded as bulk consignments from different sellers. A lot may come at once as they come from the same country but a whole shipment will not be destroyed without a proper inspection. That is giving bad information and if thats what your AQIS friend has told you, they need to look into it a bit more before they tell you stuff. Only PROHIBITED ITEMS are legally able to be destroyed and notice is given to the consignee. The main things to be destroyed without permission is fresh plant/fruit/vege, perishable items that are not shelf stable for 30 days or high risk items. All other things may be held and the option of Return to Sender, destroy or treatment options given if a treatment is available.

The ingredients in these lozenges are EXTRACTS.

In ICON you looked for Arnica Montana and the conditions in that apply to Arnica Montana imported as DRIED PALNT MATERIAL, not a processed product.

If they were lozenges for animals, they would need an import permit.

For PERSONAL consignments for humans, these would not be stopped. They may very well be inspected but SHOULD be released if the staff know their stuff.

By looking at your user name, I would think you are a pet supply company so if you are importing stuff, you have different conditions to go buy as you are a COMMERCIAL IMPORTER. This is different to to a personal importer

Each individual item is mailed as individuals. It comes along a conveyor belt and x-rayed and or sniffed. They aren't unloaded as bulk consignments from different sellers. A lot may come at once as they come from the same country but a whole shipment will not be destroyed without a proper inspection. That is giving bad information and if thats what your AQIS friend has told you, they need to look into it a bit more before they tell you stuff. Only PROHIBITED ITEMS are legally able to be destroyed and notice is given to the consignee. The main things to be destroyed without permission is fresh plant/fruit/vege, perishable items that are not shelf stable for 30 days or high risk items. All other things may be held and the option of Return to Sender, destroy or treatment options given if a treatment is available.

Dasha, I suggest you read through all the previous replies again.

Not once was it stated that items are separated when screened, they come out of ULD's (usually LD7's) and are processed on a conveyer belt by batch (by Country, shipper lot).

There are thousands of companies that ship goods that are on watch lists, these items usually do not receive any further attention unless something is identified during the screening process.

So there is no bad information given.

Anything that is not an allowable import, without a permit, MAY be destroyed. Other options such as RTS (return to sender), Irradiation treatment etc are also available, at a cost.

As previously mentioned, it appears that a shipping label (and customs declaration - US Form 2976) only stated "Dog Items", if such a package did have food items within, it is in breach of the Customs Act (not an AQIS issue)

The ingredients in these lozenges are EXTRACTS.

In ICON you looked for Arnica Montana and the conditions in that apply to Arnica Montana imported as DRIED PALNT MATERIAL, not a processed product.

If they were lozenges for animals, they would need an import permit.

For PERSONAL consignments for humans, these would not be stopped. They may very well be inspected but SHOULD be released if the staff know their stuff.

Where does it state they are extracts? (regardless of whether they actually are) It doesn't, again, this is part of the issue at hand, not only is the botanical (latin) name used, but the common name "Montana Flower" is listed. As mentioned previously, there are many different interpretations at the first contact point, and something that says Flower raises red flags at the point of entry into Australia.

As per previous, Yes, to cross your t's and dot your i's as an animal lozenge they require an import permit

By looking at your user name, I would think you are a pet supply company so if you are importing stuff, you have different conditions to go buy as you are a COMMERCIAL IMPORTER. This is different to to a personal importer

All my comments are based on the question at hand, you make an assumption regarding 'Me' based on my username. Yes, we/I am a commercial entity (and DOL advertiser), However, I have previously worked for close to 7 years at pretty much every major airport in Australia (based at SYD) alongside Customs and AQIS staff, Plus, a further 3 years in an AQIS approved quarantine facility (importing of aquatic species, live plants and other goods including soil based products). Because of this history, no less than 20 of my closest friends and acquaintances still work for AQIS or Customs. Whilst we try not to talk 'shop' (work related chat) when meeting up, some of the things I hear regarding pet products being intercepted at the Airport, AQIS inspection facility at Rosebery or the Mail sorting centre are mind boggling… these things are mentioned purely because they know what industry I am in.

That is the only reason I submitted an answer to the question, and tried to keep it as simple as possible. At the end of the day, so long as the OP understands there may be an issue bringing the product in question into the country, then I have done my bit.