Eecperiences With Incontinence And Propalin ?

boxerluva

Hi everyone, one of my babies has come back to me on the weekend. She is 12 mths old and has spay incontinence and has been on Propalin for 6 + months . General census when I googled this stuff is quite negative. Her previous vet changed her to Incurin 3 days ago so we are yet to see any change. I am also weaning her off the propalin.

I have a copy of her patient record for last 6 mths so will provide this to my vet to digest before I take her in.

Also diagnosed with ? diabetes which causes her to drink lots. She is also on Minirin but don't think they have had much success. 

Has anyone had success with other Meds or natural therapies? I've read some have had success with Apple Cider Vinegar so we commenced this tonight :) 

Looking forward to reading your valued advice n suggestions 

Thankyou  

Hi everyone, one of my babies has come back to me on the weekend. She is 12 mths old and has spay incontinence and has been on Propalin for 6 + months . General census when I googled this stuff is quite negative. Her previous vet changed her to Incurin 3 days ago so we are yet to see any change. I am also weaning her off the propalin.

I have a copy of her patient record for last 6 mths so will provide this to my vet to digest before I take her in.

Also diagnosed with ? diabetes which causes her to drink lots. She is also on Minirin but don't think they have had much success. 

Has anyone had success with other Meds or natural therapies? I've read some have had success with Apple Cider Vinegar so we commenced this tonight :) 

Thankyou  

It's not a natural therapy as such, but we had a bitch with spay incontinence and the vet put her on Stilbesterol - a hormone - and after a few months we weaned her off it and the incontince did not return until she was 15 years old.

Minirin can be good for cats but not so good for dogs AFAIK. If her diabetes is not stable then that will cause the incontinence to be worse.

Better to get a blood glucose curve done at your nominated clinic and see where she is at right now.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Thankyou

It's not a natural therapy as such, but we had a bitch with spay incontinence and the vet put her on Stilbesterol - a hormone - and after a few months we weaned her off it and the incontince did not return until she was 15 years old.

My girl is on stilboestrol as well and it works well. She has been weaned off but the incontinence returned after a few months so she is back on it again for a bit longer.

We put our eldest on Propalin for urinary incontinence that developed after an operation just before her 12th birthday. After a week she started vomiting so we took her off it, decided not to try other medications and just manage the incontinence (only an issue at night in bed). She's not far off 13 which is a really good innings for a GSD.

Go and see a Bowen therapist. One of my dogs has a bit of incontinence (in that when she drinks more in summer, she loses control of her bladder in her sleep and wakes up in huge wet patches). A Bowen therapist did their thing "down there" and I am pleased to say we never had the problem once last summer thumbsup1.gif

I have used stilboestrol with my 5 year old Goldie for 2 years now, but I only give it to her when I notice the puddles happening. A couple of days & it seems to keep her dry for the next month. Not too bad.

Additionally I restrict water. My dog tends to be a habitual drinker, so I only put a small amount of water in her bowl & top it up when it's dry.

I make sure she gets enough, but not so much her bladder overflows. This has been the most successful strategy so far, but obviously it would be difficult for a diabetic dog.

I've heard about the tofu remedy- apparently soy based foods mimic natural oestrogens (same for menopause). I've not tried it though.

Another interesting remedy I read was, to increase the dog's tail wagging! :laugh: Theory is that all those muscles are grouped & it's like pelvic floor exercises.

My toy poodle bitch is on Stilboestrol - dose is one tablet every 3 weeks and there is no leakage. It has a very low incidence of renal issues as a side effect but that was an acceptable risk to me.

I have an incontinent male dog here (early stages of renal failure) and Propalin works for him.

I'd be having a discussion with my vet but I would certainly be considering Stilboestrol for a bitch.

I would attack the diabetes first, you can't restrict her water until that is under control, IMO it would be cruel otherwise. Once the diabetes is under control the need to drink large amounts will be less and it's possible the incontinence will be gone. If not then consider chemical treatment to help with it.

Years ago I used Stilboestrol on a bitch with very good effect but she had no other health issues.

Just to muddy the waters for you - Kate developed urinary incontinence at 18 months - but it coincided with being placed on Hills ZD low allergen diet. It turned out that for her, it was related to the food - give her a couple of Good O's a week and the incontinence is gone. Propalin did nothing for her, and the doses she was on kept rising - she is now 11/5 years and we have not had her on any drugs - apart from the Good O's.

Sometimes, its not spay incontinence!

Thanku everyone. I have just been provided the recent vet notes. She is on an assortment of drugs. The diabetes is

Partial nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Is this what the minirin is for? Is their anything natural I can do for this also ?

Many thanks for your time

Thanx I will try the GoodOs. She came with a bag a Hills Science Diet as this is what she has been on. I have slowly changed her to optimum puppy coz she needs the additional fat. I'll go buy goodOs tmz certainly worth trying too. I put Apple Cider Vinegar in her water too