Best Vehicles For Dog Trainers

Lollipup

I am really enjoying this thread and now have several different makes of cars to research. Thanks to the OP for starting it! :thumbsup:

I could see you in a Caddy Maxi Anne! False floor/drawer for the gear and the greys on top.

FHRP made a good point about vans to me a while back - avoid side windows - they add a lot of heat to the vehicle in Summer.

I know a trainer with a van without side windows and I've seen him leave dogs inside for quite a while. I was always worried about the heat which is why I was leaning towards a ute where you can open the windows, but maybe a van without windows would be cooler? Vans are great for sign writing too :)

I loved the lack of windows in the cargo van I had. It had a window behind the passenger seat in the sliding door, which made for better visibility but the lack of other windows made it much cooler inside. I had a false floor with with 2 dogs crates above it behind the drivers seat and a larger gated area in the back so I could leave the tailgate up.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a recommendation for a station wagon type car where the boot is big enough to fit 2 crates side by side, that would fit Labs, and enough room to install a false floor (where the crates would still fit on top, and the depth means I can fit a gazebo and a chair and various dog training gear)? All for 20k and under? Second hand a possibility! Thanks!!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a station wagon type car where the boot is big enough to fit 2 crates side by side, that would fit Labs, and enough room to install a false floor (where the crates would still fit on top, and the depth means I can fit a gazebo and a chair and various dog training gear)? All for 20k and under? Second hand a possibility! Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure your only options are Holden Commodore/Adventra or Ford Falcon. Even then I don't know you'd get 2 x lab crates on top of a false floor. :confused:

I'm pretty sure your only options are Holden Commodore/Adventra or Ford Falcon. Even then I don't know you'd get 2 x lab crates on top of a false floor. :confused:

My research on the above wagons with two greyhounds was for them to be on either the back seat with the foot wells filled in and the gear in the back or visa versa. I couldn't fit in a false floor and put the greys in. Mind you they are a bit taller then labs.

My Labs are much shorter than Greys laugh.gif But yeah, gonna be a struggle to fit a false floor AND crates :( I want a car that has the ability to take human passengers in the back, and I want leather seats as Lab hair on fabric seats is not preferable! Even though they will be in the back, it floats around and ends up in places that would amaze you laugh.gif

Getting a good mix between spacious dog car for dogs and dog gear, and car you would be happy to drive around without the dogs, is hard! I like a good looking car that is also very practical - and under 20k second hand - spoilt much? embarrass.gif

RS have a look at some of the Volvos you might get away with it in one of those. Low false floor, and puppy bars instead of crates could work I have seen set ups like these for medium size dogs. And yes it's a squeese but they fit and the soft crates do have to go under the false floor as they're too high to set up inside. You can buy Volvo's with leather seats so that's the other thing. Not sure what model they are off hand but they have a more square back end than standard station wagons.

Ruby star could you just get a normal wagon and instead of crating use harnesses and tie the dogs in the boot? i've just bought a subaru liberty wagon to be family/dog car and im hoping it will have enough room to do what i want it to, though i dont need gazebos and things as im not always at dog shows or anything

Hi dandybrush, no I need to crate. I've done the whole tie in thing and one of my dogs is just too much of a handful to clip back in. I also don't want to do the harness thing because I get my dogs in and out of the car every few minutes at training in rotation, and don't wish to train in harness, nor put one back on each time! It's a PITA as I've already been down that path. The other dog doesn't even need to be tied in, so I could get away with just one crate for my handful, but I like matching pairs and the other one loves her crate so I think I'd be happier with a crate for each of them smile.gif

Thanks natsu chan, I have a puppy bars setup now in my Hyundai Tucson (except not the brand puppy bars), but I want to get away from that and have the flexibility of soft crates, and a false floor to store my crap! My dogs won't claw/chew their way out, they are happy and content in crates (even my handful one with tying in) so this is the way I want to go.

Going to google the Skoda Superb just out of curiosities sake laugh.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Going to google the Skoda Superb just out of curiosities sake laugh.gif

Check out its arse - pwhoar!!! :laugh: You might do a good deal on a nearly new one*. Resale's probably not startling.

* I am not on commission from Skoda.

post-43174-0-33257200-1345951225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Have you seen one in person? I find that the photos of the backside of a car always look extra roomy compared to how they really are. Most are roomy with the back seats folded down, I need a roomy one with the seats up! The back door looks a bit too slanty to fit crates :( Why can't wagon's have their backs almost vertical! I think the Astra Wagons have the most upright backs, but I am hoping there are others out there similar.

Buying dog cars is seriously hard business laugh.gif

Have you seen one in person? I find that the photos of the backside of a car always look extra roomy compared to how they really are. Most are roomy with the back seats folded down, I need a roomy one with the seats up! The back door looks a bit too slanty to fit crates :( Why can't wagon's have their backs almost vertical! I think the Astra Wagons have the most upright backs, but I am hoping there are others out there similar.

Buying dog cars is seriously hard business laugh.gif

Yep. Checked one out at a show in Albury last year. It really WAS big in the back. It had a power tail gait too - great for when you're staggering towards the car with an armload of stuff. I think the thing I particularly liked is that all the cargo space was usable - not wheel hubs in the way.

You might want to take a look at the smaller Octavia wagon too. I checked out an agility friend's a while back and was impressed by how deep the boot was - good if you're thinking about a false floor.

I have a Hyundai ix35 diesel which I love. No, def not what the OP needs, but a great car for a couple of dogs and some basic gear on the back seat. But I wanted to say how much I agree about windows/heat. The sloping rear window in the ix 35 let's in a lot of heat in summer. Saw someone with a new Jeep which has air con ducted to the rear compartment as well - wish they all did that!

Yep. Checked one out at a show in Albury last year. It really WAS big in the back. It had a power tail gait too - great for when you're staggering towards the car with an armload of stuff. I think the thing I particularly liked is that all the cargo space was usable - not wheel hubs in the way.

You might want to take a look at the smaller Octavia wagon too. I checked out an agility friend's a while back and was impressed by how deep the boot was - good if you're thinking about a false floor.

Oh I hear you about the wheel hubs in the way, that is one HUUUUGE problem I have with my Tucson!!! I could have fit 2 crates in side by side if it weren't for those. No false floor though. I'll look up the Octavia too, thanks :)

Edited by RubyStar

All the suggestions are really good and I love the photos people have posted :thumbsup:

I don't transport client't dogs at this stage, just my own, but I have a lot of gear as well and finding the balance between dog crate space and gear space is hard, because I want a nice car too haha

The Holden Commodore wagon 2001-2007 fits two standard 36" crates at floor level but has quite a bit of space above that. The slope of the tailgate prevent the crates being any higher up. If you put in a false floor and cargo barriers front and rear with doors in, rather than crates, you could fit two labs.

The Holden Commodore wagon 2001-2007 fits two standard 36" crates at floor level but has quite a bit of space above that. The slope of the tailgate prevent the crates being any higher up. If you put in a false floor and cargo barriers front and rear with doors in, rather than crates, you could fit two labs.

Thanks for that. Bummer, I really want to go the crate option next time round after having the barriers fitted to my current car. More flexible with removable soft crates. I'll keep hunting - there has to be one to suit my picky needs! laugh.gif Probably not looking to seriously trade until towards the end of the year. But I suck at making decisions so the trade may never happen!

The Isuzu 4WD ute will be available next year in a wagon format. That's the vehicle I'm waiting to see. If you want a wagon with a cavernous bum I'd say the Skoda Superb would be the one but it ain't cheap :cry:

Ooh, I want to see that car! I have been looking at the Isuzu Dmax utes as I need a new towing vehicle for the horses but also need something to fit the dogs in. Since I can't afford it this year anyway I might have to get saving and hopefully this one will fit the bill better than a ute with solid canopy :thumbsup: