Crate Training

katevin

We're getting a Boston Terrier pup at the end of the year (yay!) and are planning on crate training him/her. Hopefully those with experience can help us with a few questions we have in regards to crate training...

1) What size crate should we purchase? We were thinking the 30" one but not sure whether this would be too big? We'd obviously be using the divider when our pup is tiny, to make his/her sleeping area smaller.

2) How much did you spend on a crate? At the pet shops we've visited, they tend to be $150-$200 but on the Internet we've seen some (that look the same as far as I can tell?) starting around $30-$50. Any ideas why there is such a huge difference in price?

3) Any other tips re crate training or type of crate we should purchase?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

Edited for spelling.

Edited by katevin

The size of the crate would depend on how much room you have combined with how long you intend to use the crate. If you don't plan on crating the dog as an adult and only want to use the crate to help with the house training, then there's probably no need to buy a crate big enough for an adult. Honestly, with an adult the bigger the better (within reason :laugh: )

The cheaper crates could be poor quality or they could be good quality without the markup. If you don't intend to move the crate around and fold/unfold it constantly it's not such a biggy really, but if it's going to be travelling a lot I would definitely buy the more expensive version whether this is online or in store. The advantage with buying in-store is obviously you can check out the quality. With a smaller dog like a Boston you want to check things such as the finish and the make of the hinges and clips - you could probably stint on the strength of the actual wire itself (which saves weight and cost)

Just make sure you get a metal one, because young dogs can chew their way out of the fabric crates. Both my BC's are crate trained & they love them. It is their little "safe haven" a bit like a den. They sleep in them at night & are so handy for going camping & of course we need to have them for trialling. You can get canvas covers for them off Ebay. Pictures please........ :thumbsup:

With first dog I got a 2nd hand (very new) crate from a local dog club which sells new ones and recycled ones as dogs out grow etc, often people purchase and then find it isn't suitable to dog size or needs, this crate is still being used 4 years later excellent quality and very stong but lightweight, I paid $70. I also got a collapsible canvas type crate as I travel a lot by air and dogs accompany me so always need somewhere familiar for them when staying at various places, dog was 4yrs old when this was purchased.

new puppy spent first few weeks in puppy playpen which is invaluable due to various configurations I can make with it as well as using as a gated system to prevent access to down or up stairwell. this I got off Topbuy.com online for $40 it has individually hinged panelling, door access and I have 2 so can join up when doing away dog comps to give dogs free range yet safe access, they are 1metre high and I also picked up a nifty expander soft roof cover from a local pet retailer for $24. when folded up I can fit in my car boot easily and I only have small sedan.

Puppy fits in older dogs original crate and I also have 2nd cloth crate and she often bunks in with older dog and they are happy together rather then in their seperate crates. Also had to purchase (again a 2nd hand one) IATA airline crate for air travel, this also doubled as in car locked in with seat belt safe travel system until recently when pup is now suitable weight to go into harness. The airline crate she loves and will often just go sleep in there on her soft bed. This cost me $20 from person who used once to fly puppy and never again.

So there are a few options for you to chose from.

To start crate training a puppy I would probably start out with a metal one & then add a soft crate later if you want to. I don't know how big Bostons get but basically you want one that is a bit longer & taller than an adult dogs height/length. Petshops & places like that often have huge markups on things like crates, I'd be looking at ones online even second hand ones on eBay etc (that's how we bought all of our crates - online).

I have the Susan Garrett crate training DVD and I would recommend it very highly. Makes crate training a breeze and the dogs love it. I can't so much as barely get the crate set up now before they're both cramming themselves in! Worked beautifully on a pup and an older dog. Wouldn't attempt crate training without it!

I have the Susan Garrett crate training DVD and I would recommend it very highly. Makes crate training a breeze and the dogs love it. I can't so much as barely get the crate set up now before they're both cramming themselves in! Worked beautifully on a pup and an older dog. Wouldn't attempt crate training without it!

+ 1

Thankyou all so much for your responses, they've all been very helpful.

I've checked out the vebopet.com website and it looks great and very affordable! Have bookmarked it and will order the crate and everything else we need from there closer to our pups arrival.

Would definitely love to grab a copy of that Susan Garrett DVD- I googled it and found one called 'Crate Games'... Is that the right one?

Oh and I'll definitely come back and share pics of our little one when he/she joins us in December (feels like an eternity away!!) :D