New Vic Only Law With Advertising

Rottsup

Bisart Dobes and who ever else is interested, there are miniature microchips now, my last litter was done with them, my vet said they are the easiest things to insert compared with what I used to call the fountain pen insertion, they were advertised on the back page of DogsSA journal earlier this year, my vet said that the gauge of the needle was about a six compared to between 12 and 15 gauge of the old big cumbersome needles, the needle enters into the animal just like as if they were have their immunisation, I do not microchip until seven weeks of age just the same.

I will look up that back page and post it on here if you are interested in a less invasive needle.

I have attached the back page of our journal that advertises the mini chips, the usual scanner that vets have also can scan these mini chips, so no extra charge for the vet to have to go and purchase a new scanner.

• 2 weeks later...

I was chipping baby chinese cresteds without issues at six weeks..why suddenly is there such an outcry about the size of the chip or needle now and the assumption that a toy breed can't be chipped at a young age due to the size (and therefore the apparent need for a micro micro chip?)

The law is simple...you adverstise a single animal, you include the chip number..I'm not getting what the big deal is on this....

I can advertise that a litter is born, what gender, what colour etc...as a GROUP.....I advertise a single pup or pups and include a chip....I simply don't see what the problem is. I have heard, first hand....from some mutt breeders who have said flat out...because of the new law, they 'can't make any money breeding' and so have stopped...this is not a bad thing....so clearly at least in my area, in some cases, the new rule is working.

As for registered breeders.....wait til they impliment mandatory DNA testing....boy are we going to hear them scream....been there, done that..agree with it full on....then we have no more 'irish wolfhound' situations and the resulting pedigree problem....

I was chipping baby chinese cresteds without issues at six weeks..why suddenly is there such an outcry about the size of the chip or needle now and the assumption that a toy breed can't be chipped at a young age due to the size (and therefore the apparent need for a micro micro chip?)

The law is simple...you adverstise a single animal, you include the chip number..I'm not getting what the big deal is on this....

I can advertise that a litter is born, what gender, what colour etc...as a GROUP.....I advertise a single pup or pups and include a chip....I simply don't see what the problem is. I have heard, first hand....from some mutt breeders who have said flat out...because of the new law, they 'can't make any money breeding' and so have stopped...this is not a bad thing....so clearly at least in my area, in some cases, the new rule is working.

As for registered breeders.....wait til they impliment mandatory DNA testing....boy are we going to hear them scream....been there, done that..agree with it full on....then we have no more 'irish wolfhound' situations and the resulting pedigree problem....

If in fact you can advertise a group which is already born that is against what others have been told and what the FAQ attached on the DPI website seems to say. So clearly part of the problem is the confusion and the difficulty in having it clarified.

oh geeesss our vet m/chipped our litter just after they were born. I had taken them in for their check up & was arranging to book them in to be chipped, the vet offered to do our boys there & then, those chips are still where he put them :) & that was just over 2yrs ago.

So I don't see a problem having Toy breeds chipped, quite frankly don't matter the size of the dog, the law is the law

Quite frankly I have gone to the extent of paying for chips done on dogs I have not owned for a couple of friends years ago. I insisted they have it done, they have been forever grateful as they lost their pooch within days the dog was returned. :D :D

Bisart Dobes and who ever else is interested, there are miniature microchips now, my last litter was done with them, my vet said they are the easiest things to insert compared with what I used to call the fountain pen insertion, they were advertised on the back page of DogsSA journal earlier this year, my vet said that the gauge of the needle was about a six compared to between 12 and 15 gauge of the old big cumbersome needles, the needle enters into the animal just like as if they were have their immunisation, I do not microchip until seven weeks of age just the same.

I will look up that back page and post it on here if you are interested in a less invasive needle.

Thanks will suggest that to our vet - but I am happy to do it all at 6 weeks - prior to that if I need to advertise I have a letter from our vet but we do vacc's, microchips, reg express and then dna all in the sixth week - makes for a busy week but it all works well and paperwork goes smoothly.