Changing Food

Tamara27

Hi

I have been changing over the dry food portion of my standard schnauzers (20 months old) diet from Pro-Plan to Black Hawk gradually over the past 8 days. During the week, she has vomited twice, both during walks, and the vomit always contains some grass. She has always munched on grass or weeds at any opportunity though, but generally does not vomit after.

Could the changing of the dry food be causing a tummy upset? I have been doing the change very gradually.

I have also heard her make the occasional loud gulp/swallowing sound during the night, but I think she has always done this...

I lost our mini schnauzer at 2.5 years of age this year to polycystic kidney disease, and as a result I tend to be quite worried at anything and everything that my standard does that might be out of the ordinary. As my mini did not show any symptoms until he was in renal failure.

Thanks for your help :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the Pro Plan Chicken and the black hawk lamb? If thats the case maybe it has a sensitivity to lamb, i know mine did.

That's a good point. She has been on both chicken and lamb, but most recently she was on the lamb with no issues. I will keep that in mind though, as the lamb content may be higher in the black hawk.

Yeah im not sure about that, my experience with changing from Pro Plan Chicken to BH Lamb wasnt my girl being sick but it gave her a skin irritation, but it does seem when i give her any lamb products i generally see it again in a couple of hours. Ive left her on PP Puppy chicken but changing to PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach after i finish this bag cause she will be 12 months.

My first thought would be fat content. I try and keep the fat % below 15%. I have a mini and a standard schnauzer.

Schnauzers commonly have hyperlipidemia (sp?) which is elevated levels of fats in the blood and with that (according to my vet) comes a predisposition to pancreatitis.

I don't go overboard, I just avoid giving them really fatty things to eat. So, for example, they don't get pigs ears.

All my guys were on back Hwk also...Till i got a new bag.. Few days of feeding them on the new bag They started with the poos n vomiting... So bad i stoped a week after till i worked it out..

Since then i have changed them and everything is fine now.. I had some in a air proof dish n as i was throwin them out one of my dogs got about half hand full of black hawk.. That nite she was up with poos n vomiting.. So cant tell me there wasnt anything wrong with the bag i had.. I have 20kgs here i have to throw out..

I've had the same problem with Black Hawk with some of mine, vomiting, huge runny poos, stinky farts and the most gross body smell.

All of them get fat and stodgy on it so it doesn't show it's head in this house unless someone wins some, then it's kept for puppies (who seem to do great on it).

Edited for punctuation - vomiting huge runny poos sounded gross :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Sandra777

Yeh it isnt nice when mutli dogs have shits n vomites all hours of nite.. Tell u what the first day i used new bag we were away for shows,, Come sat morning i open trailer.. It was everyhwere!!!!! Wasnt nice to clean up.. Poor things had to be bathed under the hose.. Wasnt nice when your first group on for the day!!!! Wasnt fun at all lol!

My guys have been on Black Hawk since January. I thought they were doing ok on it however i've been dealing with bloody vomiting and poos with my girl since the same time i switched over. I've only just put two and two together.

Prior to January when they were on Royal Canin - no problems. Could be a coincidance but just in case I won't allow that stuff back into my house. She has now been diagnosed with severe irritable bowel - we find out today after an ultrasound to what extent.

Interesting to read this. My vet freaked when she learned I had Calvin on BH puppy. Due to the high fat, protein and crude ash content. Recommended I do a 50/50 mix of BH and one of several other brands recommended until I had finished it.

However - I believe Calvin was doing fine on it. No vomiting/GI problems and stools no issues.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

These are the first negative comments I have heard about Black Hawk, and they are quite concerning. I thought I was doing a good thing moving from Pro-Plan to Black Hawk!

We haven't had any more upsets since, so I will just see how we go with it for a little longer. I will keep buying small bags until I am 100% happy with it.

Tamara, to be quite realistic, you could put a questions on here titled "I am thinking of feeding my dog prime chicken breast" & you would still get negative comments. Not every food agrees with every dog, no matter what the brand. For every dog that doesn't do well on BH there is probably 100 out there that are thriving on it. My dogs do well on it & have been on it for two years...we sell it to others & havn't had any negative feedback form our clients, but have had lots of positives. It's what works well for your dog that you have to decide.

Guest lavendergirl

Tamara - have you done a search in Health/Nutrition about dry foods/kibble? You will find a lot of feedback about Black Hawk and other brands as well both positive and negative. A lot of dogs seem to react badly to lamb I have noticed so that may be the culprit.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Sheena I posted in the BH thread about my dogs negative experience on the food and was not treated well as a result, I've seen it happen various times in the thread.

My housemate has one of the dogs on the food at the moment, he was on it before and did well but he's had on and off squirts on it this time around. I'm CONVINCED the recipe has changed, he did well on it before... My Pap isn't allowed near it lol.

Edited by Panzer Attack!

Tamara I have read plently of good and bad things about Black Hawk but in the end it comes down to want you want to do and how your dog goes on it.

My two are on BH and do very well on it. It is the only kibble my picky boy will eat but I have a friends dog who didn't do so well on it. To me that doesn't mean the food is horrible and I should take my two off it, it just shows that not all dogs do well on the same thing- there is no one superfood that works for all dogs.

I think you need to look at why you want to change food. Is it because you think your dog would do better on BH? Is it a cost thing? or are you only doing it because you've heard good things about BH? Because personally I wouldn't change my dogs off a kibble they were doing well on unless I had a valid reason.

Mine were all fed on it for about 8 to 9 months.. Brought new bag n bang all were very very sick i did notice the colour of the kibble was lighter in colour...

So my guys where not on it for a short time..I had gone thru 3 bags n since opening the 4th it went down hill...