Visiting Dog - Help Please!

westiemum

Apologies for the long post but need to explain what's going on.

On a semi-regular basis I have a visiting 11 year old Airedale for 5-6 days at a time. His human Mum, an old friend of mine died unexpectedly in April and he seemed to really mourn her for weeks afterwards. His Dad works OS regularly which is why he comes to stay with me. He is a marvellous smoochy old boy who settles quickly and well when he arrives. He's on cartrophen tabs for arthritis and his gait still looks pretty stiff to me.

He comes with his own food - lucky dog clunkers and purina dry - he won't touch the dry - and the poo volume and smell is horrendous - huge soft smelly logs. But this time when he arrived there was only one nights food (no drama and Dad apologized - he got caught short on a Sunday morning :) So as Ive had no hope of getting to a supermarket (running an EA ballot at work and getting home very late) I've been feeding him the same diet as the westies but in bigger quantities of course - including a cup of Black Hawk in the morning - he's wolfing it down. And I give him a fish oil ' treat' each morning when he lines up with the three westies. This time his coat is shorter (has obviously had a clip) but is now showing large very obvious patches on his belly and legs where the coat is gone. So I hope you're getting the picture - gorgeous boofy old stiff Airedale with a patchy poor coat and smelly voluminous poo!

I'm loving having a big dog around the house (never thought I would!) and it's good for the westies too. His Dad clearly loves him,walks him everyday, medicates him and goes to a lot of trouble to ensure he is well cared for while he is away.

But I wonder if his poor coat and arthritis are simply age related - or might a change in diet longer-term improve it ? I know his Dad well enough to discuss it with him but of course don't want to hurt or offend him or inadvertently over-step the mark I'm becoming very attached to this gorgeous old boofa who is now spending 1 - 2 weeks a month with me but what do I do about his diet? If anything? I really just want him to have a comfy old age - and to reduce the poo volume and smell would be a bonus!

Would really appreciate some big dog DOL wisdom. Is the care any different to small dogs cos of their size? What would you do? How would you handle it?

TIA. :)

Edited by westiemum

I think I would tell him what happened in a matter of fact way. As he was caught out, so were you, so you fed him your westies' kibble, and he LOVED it! Dad has to have noticed he doesn't like the Purina.

Then tell him the other benefits you believe he will get from the Black Hawk. Maybe just say that your westies coats improved on it and you wonder if it might also help the big guy, and then tell him outright that the dog has firmer stools and less of them (presuming this is the case) He can't argue with hard evidence, and it wasn't connived by you so all good in my book, be honest. :)

I would just say that now that he has reached his 'old man' it might be worth looking at a change in diet for him to address his changing needs- so no need to comment on the old diet at all, just indicate that his needs have changed.

You can then suggest a different meal plan and explain why this will address his changing requirements ie higher in oils which are good for old joints etc. I would explain that you didn't have time to get his normal food and so you put him on your senior doggie diet and he really liked it and perhaps provide him with a day or two for when he goes home so his owner can see him enjoying it too. I would also make it super easy and provide all the contact details via email so they cant get lost ;)

I am guesing he is on this diet because its easy to buy and the dog eats it. If you provide another easy to source food that the dog eats I am sure there wont be a problem :thumbsup:

I tried Chunkers and I remember that they smelt terrible (I have a poor sense of smell) and that my dogs drank gallons after eating them which cannot be good.

I'd send him home with some of your food, make it as easy as possible though as people tend to return to their old habits - find some easy to find local stockists etc etc.

I'm sure the addition of fish oil will help him with the arthritis too! Perhaps the extra activities in your house may also help to keep him moving.

I LOVE Airedales!!

I think I would tell him what happened in a matter of fact way. As he was caught out, so were you, so you fed him your westies' kibble, and he LOVED it! Dad has to have noticed he doesn't like the Purina.

Then tell him the other benefits you believe he will get from the Black Hawk. Maybe just say that your westies coats improved on it and you wonder if it might also help the big guy, and then tell him outright that the dog has firmer stools and less of them (presuming this is the case) He can't argue with hard evidence, and it wasn't connived by you so all good in my book, be honest. :)

I would take this approach too - just say that you ended up feeding him what you give your dogs, and he loved it and his poos were better. Rather than going the education route (which sometimes works well, but usually when more directly "solicited", if you get what I mean), just do the chatty discussion. You can then talk about why you feed what you do, if he seems receptive. :)

Yep thats the approach I would go as well. Casual and friendly and mention how much the dog likes the new food. Maybe you could even suggest if he wants to give you the money you would be happy to pick up a bag for him when you next get yours. He may only feed what he is feeding for convenience and might not even realize there are other options.

Edited by ness

I love Airedales too :-) Bias much lol

I would do what the others suggest any pics??? :-).

I tried Chunkers and I remember that they smelt terrible (I have a poor sense of smell) and that my dogs drank gallons after eating them which cannot be good.

I'd send him home with some of your food, make it as easy as possible though as people tend to return to their old habits - find some easy to find local stockists etc etc.

I'm sure the addition of fish oil will help him with the arthritis too! Perhaps the extra activities in your house may also help to keep him moving.

I LOVE Airedales!!

Sorry I havent been back to the thread - getting home very late at the moment.

Thank you so much everyone - great DOLer advice as usual. Excellent ideas. I need to buy some more of Jo/Karinas dog formula so I'll get some to send home with him on Saturday. You're right dogmad - the contrast in smell between the clunkers and the food I use is staggering. And the poo volume is definitely better in the last day or so. And interestingly , I think he's moving a little better too. Ness and I'm sure youre right - I'm sure his Dad feeds for convenience.

What do people think about his patchy coat? Diet related? Stress? Or just age? ( I'm so not well enough informed about Airedale coats and big dogs! )

Much as I'd love to, I won't post any piccies until I ask his Dad on the weekend.

You know, this is the most divine breed - I could become a big dog person yet!!!! (But don't tell the westies!!!!)

Edited by westiemum

Just remind the owner as dogs get older, just like humans, they need that bit extra to help them out. If the poo is stinking and in great volumes he is not digesting, which means he's losing vital nutrients especially in this delicate time of life. Supplements and cartrophen wont help old age if the whole diet is just poor in general, most dogs put on better diets can actually decrease or just go off the supplements because they're being nourished from the inside out.

What does the skin look like where the coat is missing?

I'd try him on Vet's All Natural with some raw meat. The VAN sensitive skin variety works wonders at improving the coat. If the coat is recently clipped is this why there are chunks out if it? Alternatively it could be a flea issue. There may be a thyroid defiviency and this can lead to bare patches. Also the VAN Joint Formula will greatly help his stiffness. My 11 year old Airedale is so much better when I feed her this supplement and has plenty of energy. Routinly I have always (over 39 years of owning the breed) put all of my Airedales on the Joint formula when they get to about 10 or before if they show some mobility issues

At 11 he is doing well but still should have a couple of years in him with the right diet and attention.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies and advice.

Well that all went very well. I did exactly as you all suggested, honestly told his Dad that I hadn't been able to get to the supermarket so I fed him the westies senior diet - and he seems to do well on it. He was really pleased to hear the poo volume had reduced! The deal clincher was the home delivery as he said as we suspected that it was the convenience of the supermarket which was why he bought the food he did. So I gave his Dad 4 kgs of the Adelaide Dog formula, and some Black Hawk to try. And the delivery details and prices. So hopefully, we have a conversion to a raw diet and premium dry - and a happier old boof. He'll probably be back to stay again in the next few weeks so will see how he's going (one step at a time).

So thanks again everyone. Mission accomplished! :)

Edited by westiemum

I'd try him on Vet's All Natural with some raw meat. The VAN sensitive skin variety works wonders at improving the coat. If the coat is recently clipped is this why there are chunks out if it? Alternatively it could be a flea issue. There may be a thyroid defiviency and this can lead to bare patches. Also the VAN Joint Formula will greatly help his stiffness. My 11 year old Airedale is so much better when I feed her this supplement and has plenty of energy. Routinly I have always (over 39 years of owning the breed) put all of my Airedales on the Joint formula when they get to about 10 or before if they show some mobility issues

At 11 he is doing well but still should have a couple of years in him with the right diet and attention.

Airedaler thanks for the information. I'm going to tuck that away for future reference. It's a great Plan B - felt this time it was easier to suggest a routine I was already using rather than something completely new. Although having said that I might give it a trial run with the westies... And then later suggest it to the Airedales Dad. Where's the best place to buy it from? :)

Edited by westiemum

Westiemum I just wanted to say what a very kind person you are helping this family out the way you have :-) I am sure this Guy's owner is very very lucky to have your family in his life :-) ..

:o thanks for your kind words- but I've only done what the majority of DOLers would do :o