85mm F/1.4

Clicking Mad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just hit buy on the 85mm 1.8G Eeeeeep!! Haven't bought a new lens in forever. So excited!

excitement plus!! I love the time between hitting the buy button "what have I done ... oh well, it's too late ... oh goody, a new lens" to the time it arrives on the doorstep, all that potential :laugh: I'm sure you'll do well with it :)

I'm doing that right now! :eek:

Fingers crossed, it might be here tomorrow, otherwise it should be here on Friday.

Love those beach shots, CM. I also love how you call f2.5 off wide open :laugh:

Loving all your pics CM :D

Congrats huga - new toy :thumbsup:

That's awesome! I'm hanging out for one of the canon 70-200L series, probly the f4 but in the meantime hubby wants me to get a 70-300 cheapie so I've got a bit of extra reach for whales next time we go. Lens are very confusing to me, I'm looking at THIS one, for a cheap one it has reasonable reviews.

tlc - for a relatively 'cheap' 70-300 you can't go far wrong with the Tamron one which has stabilisation and USM :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/728341-REG/Tamron_AFA005C700_SP_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_Di.html

Some samples when paired with the 7D (apart from the first 2) :)

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjt3osCV

fantastic shots, I did look at one of the cheaper Tamrons but decided the Sigma might be a better choice in that price range. Too many options. :laugh:

Love your work, this one is great Flying surfer also love the agility shots too.

Edited by tlc

Whoops silly links, yes I did say 70-300 its THIS one, and I totally agree I will want a better quality one but at the moment I have zero $ to spend and hubby said get a cheapie to get by for now and he will pay, so technically not my money. :laugh: gotta love a hubby that is a saver, after outgoings we have our own spending money, I spend mine, he saves his. Kind of works in my favour as he feels sorry for me and buys me stuff! :rofl:

just a few quick ones from the beach this year taken with the 70-200mm f/4.0

6683347147_cfe3a665dc_z.jpg

6900058621_3f0f9e67ec_z.jpg

7118278119_3d620fc486_z.jpg

7566994472_bb0425ba5f_z.jpg

some older birdie shots in the backyard

5535464411_5c0e936c89_z.jpg

5536043012_d8fdb13f70_z.jpg

5897324248_a3f3ae79b8_z.jpg

it's good for the zoo too, can't seem to find any atm, may need to make another zoo trip soon anyway :)

and back to the 85mm, I've found out today it's a nice length for backyard play :D (will try to get some of those up soon)

Fantastic pics, look forward to yours MM.

Huga is your the Nikon version?

If anyone is interested DWI have specials on all their Sigma range this weekend!

edited to add.....

I just noticed comparing the Nikon 85mm 1.4 to the 1.8 the 1.4 is about twice the price, how can there be that much difference between 1.4 and 1.8, I know there is but is there a technical explanation?

Edited by tlc

I bought the Nikon 85mm 1.8G (I read some reviews and apparently it is nicer than the D): http://camerapro.net.au/nikon-85mm-f18g-year-genuine-nikon-australia-warranty-p-4896.html?osCsid=bd63549b421fbd2ef4b2b73160e62f27

The wider it opens, the more expensive it is. Also, the 1.8s are usually more plastic-y and cheap compared to the 1.4s. There is also talk that better glass is used on the more expensive lens, therefore providing better bokeh. I looked at some comparisons online, but for the price - the difference is negligible for me. After all, my 50mm 1.8 has served me well all these years :)