Dimples And Dweebles

Dweeb just still needs to know he has a mummy when he's feeling tired, or hungry or scared! I think both would do great in homes with kids.

As for Dimples being shy, she certainly isn't here! She's constantly outside here exploring, ususally with our two following her, while Dweeb is constantly finding new toys and hoarding them on a bed he has claimed. He prefers the indoor comforts of life!

I fell asleep on the top lounge here when they were having their morning tea time nap only to wake up an hour later with both of them on the lounge with me. I'm going to have to learn to go to bed early at night like they do if I want to get enough beauty sleep!

Now I'm after a bit of advice. Dweeb is very vigilant about noises so will make a good guard dog. The problem is he is doing a danger bark and growl at every noise he hears outside and inside the house. I don't want to discourage the overall behaviour but channel it to things affecting this property as the neighbour next door is already slamming her window and telling him to shut up. Lots of these noises will be new to him of course but as an example we were outside playing this morning and he heard my sister walking up the hallway inside the house and went into alert and bark mode over it. Usually I would praise/acknowledge the wanted behaviours and ignore those that weren't but this is an important learning time for puppies and I'm not sure how best to do that without putting him off doing it at all. I don't want to do anything to make him fearful of barking when it is appropriate but the guy across the road coming home and the neighbour next door moving her bin or the guy behind starting his lawn mower are not threats. He does not seem frightened by the noises, just alerted to them quickly and vocally. Is it something he has to learn himself based on my responses to the supposed threat?

Excellent idea about distracting him. Such a simple idea but it will work because he can't resist you dangling a toy in his face! Then we he barks for the right reason I can use verbal praises.

I'll add some more photos this morning once FB finishes loading stuff there. It is being special this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

My little Dweebles left me yesterday. I knew it was the right place for him when his new mummy was holding him, I went up to make sure he was alright and he looked at me like we'd never even met before! This is from the boy who used to scream if I moved out of his eyesight and he couldn't get to me! His new name is Albert and he is already sporting the most beautiful new harness and leash which je walks on like a pro (he hated walking for me!).

Dimples is feeling a little lonely but it gives me an opportunity to do better one on one training with her. Stussy is also being big sister staying close to her and Wolf let her chew on her tail for a bit last night without giving her a hard time about it!

Dweeb/Albert had another name change as the kids didn't like Albert. The artist formerly known as Dweeb/Albert will forthwith be referred to as Roan. laugh.gif

I love it that you have been rolled :D into the Shar Pei world, Puppy_Sniffer :thumbsup: . You give wonderful stories and updates of your fosters.

There is a brown Shar Pei who is regularly walked on Pennant Hills Road, but never close enough for me to see his face properly. He has a lovely gait and is obviously enjoying himself to the max.

I'd love to see some photos of Dweebs/Albert/Roan in his wonderful new harness and with his new family.

I wish I'd thought of taking photos of him in it Cynthia but there was so much going on at the Pet Expo (where he found his new mum) that I forgot! He was so proud trotting along like a big dog! If his mum sends me any I'll ask her if I can share them here.

Unfortunately one of Roan's human family members is experiencing rashes/possible allergy to him already so we are just endeavouring to work through that issue with them at present. Fingers and toes crossed that it is resolveable and he can stay with them.

As for Dimples - well she may just be packing her bags for a new home quite soon as well......don't want to jinx it till it happens!

Unfortunately one of Roan's human family members is experiencing rashes/possible allergy to him already so we are just endeavouring to work through that issue with them at present. Fingers and toes crossed that it is resolveable and he can stay with them.

Oh no. That is awful. I hope it is just transitory and settles down. Last time I was t the vets, I was a coughing sneezing machine and I live with five dogs and a cat so maybe Roan's coat just needs a little time for the person to adjust.

Yep, I jinxed things for Dimples! Her interstate move is no longer happening, which is just as well because the poor girl got a bit of a bug late last week. She's doing much better now and is growing taller everyday - she has the legs of a supermodel now! We think she is beautiful with her black snozz so hopefully somebody else will too.

Roan's situation has improved. He now sleeps in his crate without screaming and it is hoped the allergies will settle.

But no more puppies for me - I think I baby them too much! Give me a naughty teen or shy young adult anytime!