Murray River Curly Coated Retriever

Lab_Rat

At the risk of getting into trouble :o Im wondering about this breed???? Why has/was it never been ANKC recognised???

I saw some pups advertised in our local area (SW of WA)and its had me wondering about the breed!

I have looked on the MRCCR Website, but theres not much info there.... :confused:

This breed has existed in Australia for a very long time and there are photos going way back.

Like most breeds, 'recognition' only comes about because a group of dedicated breeders and fanciers did the work to make it so.

Some were done years ago, some more recently and some are still to be done. There are plenty of 'unrecognised' breeds around the world still that have been in existence for many years.

From what I understand there are a keen group of people working towards recognition of the Murray Curlies which at the moment involves an open register.

This is a first step towards establishing eventual recognition (which requires traceable pedigrees for multiple generations and a big enough genepool to ensure its future existence).

This breed needs dedicated people to ensure its future protection and survival IMO. :thumbsup:

Edited by espinay2

I met a couple of Murray curlies and thier owners about 10 years back.They said then they hoped to be ANKC recognised in the future.I haven't heard if they are any closer to this.It's vague how they first came to be in Australia.I think they look similar to the pictures i have of American Water Spaniels and The Boykin Spaniel ;and wonder if either of these breeds found thier way here from America years ago and if they could be related....

Ive spoken to some recently and they were saying as far as they were concerned they never want to be recognised by the ANKC .

To them and everyone else its already a breed.

Thats what Ive also read Steve.....fair enough I guess :) Im sure there a quite a number of "breeds" that are not recognised as such, but still exist quite happily!

A friend of a friend has a Murray, and he's a lovely handsome dog of the longer legged type, with a very nice nature. I think many of the people who have had them over the years have just not been interested in having them registered in what is seen as mostly a "show" registry by some working dog people.

From the Murray river curly coated retriever Association site.

''

The association advocates on behalf of breeders to local councils and state governments. We will be able to advise on potential pairings (how closely related they are etc). Breeders will be able to sell your pups as registered with the association and the association will issue the pedigree certificate based on information provided by the breeders. The association record keeping will assist breeders with their compliance requirements. Down the line this will become significant when we are engaging with government and other organisations. for recognition as a distinct breed.''

efs

Edited by Purdie

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here & a Murray owner, so thought i'd say hi & add to the conversation. My name is Linda, our current Murray in residence is Digby, our first was Alex who lived to the ripe old age of 18 years & our 2nd was Charlie who died at the tender age of 18 months from his 2nd snake bite!! Digby is 6 and such a beautiful example of the breed. I have been involved with the Association, i was it's Secretary for 18 months.

ANKC recognition is well beyond our reach at present due to the number of dogs required to be even considered, however never say never & one day we might just get there. In the meantime we do what we can with very limited resources & people available to help. We are very excited to have just received the results of DNA analysis of the breed which has proven the Murray to be a pure breed. This is fabulous news for the Murray & we hope this will open some more avenues to have the Murray recognised & ensure its future.

Cheers,

Linda Simpson

post-47893-0-44033900-1353537903_thumb.jpg

Digby is gorgeous????. I had a MRCCR about 10 years ago. She was an amazing girl who delighted in picking up any random object when I arrived home and dropping it in my lap as a welcome home present. Seeing Digby brought back beautiful memories of her. Thank you.

They sure are lovely looking dogs....and yes, seem to have been around for a couple of centuries!! It would be great to see another Aussie breed recognised....

some breed fanciers deliberately don't want to be recognised by the ANKC. There are other registries out there.

They sure are lovely looking dogs....and yes, seem to have been around for a couple of centuries!! It would be great to see another Aussie breed recognised....

some breed fanciers deliberately don't want to be recognised by the ANKC. There are other registries out there.

Edited by Purdie

Yes & really it can be to some working breeds disinterest to do so.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here & a Murray owner, so thought i'd say hi & add to the conversation. My name is Linda, our current Murray in residence is Digby, our first was Alex who lived to the ripe old age of 18 years & our 2nd was Charlie who died at the tender age of 18 months from his 2nd snake bite!! Digby is 6 and such a beautiful example of the breed. I have been involved with the Association, i was it's Secretary for 18 months.

ANKC recognition is well beyond our reach at present due to the number of dogs required to be even considered, however never say never & one day we might just get there. In the meantime we do what we can with very limited resources & people available to help. We are very excited to have just received the results of DNA analysis of the breed which has proven the Murray to be a pure breed. This is fabulous news for the Murray & we hope this will open some more avenues to have the Murray recognised & ensure its future.

Cheers,

Linda Simpson

Welcome Linda and a thanks from me too for a view from someone involved with the breed.

This is a breed I have often admired and I appreciate committed people such as yourself who are working to ensure its future :thumbsup:

Edited by espinay2

post-47893-0-20093900-1353716037_thumb.jpgThanks everyone. Digby thinks he's a bit gorgeous too LOL. He really does have the loveliest, most placid nature of any Murray we've had though, we adore him. He's a very keen hunter too & loves chasing the rabbits & foxes, he's caught 3 foxes & killed 2. The first one was when he was young & it was as big as him, he got tired & the fox got away but not without a whopping headache i bet. We're not into hunting ourselves & are on a property, so we're grateful to have him keeping the vermin at bay.

There are other registeries out there beside the ANKC indeed & i believe the Association are looking into them.

Thanks again for the welcome, Linda