Quarantine For Imports

Just wondering whether anyone would recommend the Melbourne quarantine facilities over the Sydney ones or vice versa. I think they have the option of flying the dog in to either city. Just enquiring on behalf of a friend - for a puppy so I guess the amount/quality of handling is pretty important.

Many thanks!

Do they plan to visit pup or arrange friends to visit if they can't??

The simple reality is there not going to get oodles of time & attention spent on them not enough hrs to do so or staff '

We find the staff do the simple basics BUT visiting is really important or at the very lest paying someone to do so is a must

I've only imported a pup into Sydney once and based on that experience I will go elsewhere next time, even if I am in NSW. I was very angry with how much weight my pup lost and the pathetic excuse I was given for why they refused to follow vet advice to give three feeds a day and only gave two. I put in a formal complaint but never heard back. My pup didn't have any issues with water before going into quarantine but was petrified by it just four weeks later. Again absolutely no reason was given as to the reason why. I will avoid them like the plague for my next pup.

Edited by Dxenion

I have no experience with Melbourne but have spent a fair bit of time at the quarantine station in Sydney. The kennel staff there are very good, many are experienced dog handlers or vet nurses and do a great job with the resources they have. They are hampered by staff numbers, lack of 'extra' time to be dedicated to individual animals and sometimes communications (which I suspect is no different to other government offices). The kennels (and cattery) cleanliness is fine - in the kennels at least there are day and night runs on opposite sides of a walkway and pets are swapped from one side to the other while they are cleaned.

Edited by Rappie

I know people who have used the Melbourne one without any issues at all. Of course it is not an ideal environment and visits at all of them are limited. This company does exist that can go in and walk and play with the dogs twice a week, which will naturually help the dogs and give them extra contact with humans one on one. Although it would be at an extra cost. They do offer services to ALL the quarantine stations in Australia, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth (which is small and incredibly hard to get into) http://dogwalks.com.au/

Also important to remember that there are limits to what toys the dogs can have, they have to be safe for them to use alone, nyla bones, kongs, etc are what would come to mind for me, and so making sure the dog is familiar and comfortable with them might help as well. If a dog has never played with those kinds of toys before, they may be less likely to.

They all have both night and day runs, the night ones being quite small, the day ones quite large.

You can provide your own bed for the dog if you like, you can provide food for the dog, or you can get the used to the food they will be fed before they enter the facility.

Sydney will not allow dogs to enter the exercise yards for the first 7 days, Melbourne will allow it if they have been cleared by a vet. That will require someone to take them to the exercise yard, which a person can do during visits, twice per week.

Really appreciate the feedback - also the link for the dog walkers. Thanks so much everyone.

oakway - yes I agree. It's much harder on some dogs and often it's not the ones you expect!

Absolutely.

You would swear that mine had just stepped of the plane from LAX and yet a friends did it the hard way. It can be so sad for some.

But lets look on the bright side, it will soon be only 10 days quarantine and that will be a big relief for some owners and their dogs. :thumbsup:

Really appreciate the feedback - also the link for the dog walkers. Thanks so much everyone.

oakway - yes I agree. It's much harder on some dogs and often it's not the ones you expect!

Absolutely.

You would swear that mine had just stepped of the plane from LAX and yet a friends did it the hard way. It can be so sad for some.

But lets look on the bright side, it will soon be only 10 days quarantine and that will be a big relief for some owners and their dogs. :thumbsup:

Ditto. I have imported 4 and the boys handle it better than the girls do. All had to come via Sydney and I would never have repeated the experience if the first 2 had not coped. Both girls I had experience with we're fabulous. They will take a regular phone call and know all about your dog when you call. If you ask, they can tell you their exact weight and will up or drop their feed as you ask. You can send toys, treats , jackets, bedding and they are used. Not just placed on a shelf and sent on when your dog comes home. Both times, I flew up to see them and organized a walker.i can't speak for the experiences others have had but I made sure I knew how my dog was coping.

I only know of one person who has had a dog in Quarantine and they prepared the dog for the quarantine stay, not just for the flight over. They found out the times the dog would be fed and started feeding at that time, they bought a bed and sent that over with the dog. The dog slept on the bed every second night at home and in the crate on the alternate days. They also only walked them once a day as they would not be getting walked 3 times a day (which is what they were doing) when in Quarantine, wouldn't get a walk a day. starting feeding the dog the food they would be fed in Quarantine, etc. They organised to house sit near the Quarantine station so they could visit themselves.

Like everything some dogs will cope much better than others. But given the alternatives one has to consider how well the dog would cope being rehomed.

Once the policies are finalised, it then needs to go through parliament to get the legislation changed.

Then it needs to be advertised and a change over period as it means current permits will then not be valid.

So I think it will be MANY months away yet so if you are looking to import, I would not be waiting for the changes.

No I would not be waiting for the changes. One thing forgotten about the changes too Is that from those countries where dogs can currently be brought out at a young age you will now have to wait till they are around 10 months to import them as the categories are being lumped together. So while the10 day quarantine is good it will also have a downside for some in other respects.

I have visited dogs in nsw quarantine and always been happy with what I saw. Not much different to a boarding kennel in many respects. Their food policies are annoying though as they sem to need any changes given in writing rather than just noting themselves the dog needs more. That is probably the one thing I would be most vigilant about checking. All the dogs I have been involve with coming through there came through it well though.

Edited by espinay2