Shedding Hair

CHA

Hi guys

I've adopted a 1 year old Jack Russell cross from the pound and we've had her for about 8 weeks now. When we first got her we thought we were in luck as she didn't seem to shed too much hair - but now - YIKES. :eek:

I am brushing her with a rubber nippled brush daily and we are still getting LOTS of hair coming off her. I've only had poodles or long haired crosses in the past that haven't shed their hair so this is completely new to me.

Can you tell me is it just because the weather is warming up that she is shedding, is it what I am feeding her maybe? should I be washing her more often? How long does this usually go on for?

Any handy hints on how to keep this under control - or do I just smile and get to love the white hared fluffy look all my clothes are now assuming? :)

I am brushing her with a rubber nippled brush daily and we are still getting LOTS of hair coming off her. I've only had poodles or long haired crosses in the past that haven't shed their hair so this is completely new to me.

Any handy hints on how to keep this under control - or do I just smile and get to love the white hared fluffy look all my clothes are now assuming? :)

I know with my dogs, using a good brush like a furminator is much better than a rubber brush. If you think that's getting lots of hair off, grab a furminator and you'll get about 100 times more. I try and do my pugs daily (haha yeh right, who am I kidding, it's more like weekly :rofl: ) and it really does cut down on shedding.

So yes, get used to the white fluffy look, invest in some white clothes, but also invest in a furminator!

Guest Arcane

All dogs with hair shed hair. It is a myth that Poodles, Maltese & such don't shed hair. They just dont shed it off of their bodies so much as it gets caught up in the length/curl of the hair and needs to be manually shed out of the coat via brushing & combing otherwise matting results. With a short hair dog there is nothing to stop the hair falling out & away from the dog. It will depend on the density of the dogs coat as to how much shedding is normal/natural, but outside factors such as health, diet, desexed or not, grooming and the length of daylight hours will determine how much shedding you get at certain times.

I'd suggest you bath the dog and while soapy use the rubber curry brush vigorously through the coat then rub vigorously with your fingers while rinsing as well. Towel dry again rubbing as much as you like then either blow dry again while brushing if you can, or/& once dry, use the rubber brush again. Then brush every day or so while you are experiencing heavy shedding.

You will never stop a coat like this from shedding but you can manage the shedding with health, diet & grooming. Desexed dogs often carry thicker coats that shed more hair generally.

If your dog was desexed recently ready for adoption, the anaesthetic combined with the change in hormones may be factors. As well it is prime shedding season at the moment coming into the longer days.

Edited by Arcane

Thanks everyone.

Yes she was desexed just prior to adoption and she does spend a LOT of time outside sunbaking.

I'm also a little worried that her diet may be contributing to it as well. At the pound they had her on Hills biscuits, but I've slowly changed her over to Optimum (same as my other dog) but they also have yoghurt, sardines, BARF patties, eggs and raw bones mixed in with their biccies (not all at the same time....)

Do you think a higher grade kibble would help at all with the shedding? She's in excellent condition otherwise.

Guest Arcane

That diet sounds fine to me. I wouldn't be making the biscuits the bulk of the diet. Personally I feed raw diet with no kibble.

Remember she has had so many changes & stresses recently. I'd just stick with it for now. 8 weeks isn't that long. Give her time to settle herself into her new home, her new diet and recover from the emotional & medical stresses she has had lately.

If she is healthy & active otherwise I wouldn't be changing things around for now.

So the furminator doesn't wreck their coat at all?

Nope, it's just a brush but it doesn't just touch the top of the coat like most rubber brushes, it gets underneath and gets the loose hair most other brushes leave behind. I swear by mine, and both my guys love it. They see me pick it up and they fight over who gets to go first, and then push the other out of the way when they think they've had enough lol

Change of season can cause shedding (and lots of dogs are blowing coat right now).

General anesthetic and the stress it puts on a dogs system can cause shedding.

Stress (caused by changes in routine, living conditions etc) can cause shedding.

Lots of reasons why your dog may be shedding right now.

Yeah we've got one shedding like a bugger right now :( Some good advice so far but when it comes down to it, no, there is nothing you can do about the shedding, but if you follow the advise you may be able to minimise it.

I'm used to having hairy clothes :laugh:

Pet hair rollers are the best invention ever for getting dog hair off clothes :). You can buy them in most supermarkets in the section stocking sewing supplies, coathangers etc (and in some pet shops too, but they normally charge more). Cost around $10 and come with a roller with a sticky tape like sheet. You simply roll it over your clothes and it picks up dog fur. When it isn't sticky any more, peel off a layer and start again. When all the layers are used up, you can keep the roller and buy refill sheets.

I have them everywhere - in the car, in the house and at work. As an owner of a white Siberian Husky, with a dark work uniform - they are a necessity!

I know with my dogs, using a good brush like a furminator is much better than a rubber brush. If you think that's getting lots of hair off, grab a furminator and you'll get about 100 times more. I try and do my pugs daily (haha yeh right, who am I kidding, it's more like weekly :rofl: ) and it really does cut down on shedding.

So yes, get used to the white fluffy look, invest in some white clothes, but also invest in a furminator!

Whats the difference between a furminator & a Mars Coat King in the way they work, & how are they different to a rake...are they suitable for double coated dogs like mine.

Whats the difference between a furminator & a Mars Coat King in the way they work, & how are they different to a rake...are they suitable for double coated dogs like mine.

I don't know, I've only ever had short hair dogs so don't know about long hair/double coated. A Google search should bring up a bit though, and I know the furminators do come for longer coats.