Dingo Pups For Sale

mixeduppup

you don't need to look up official surveys.

Just ask every one you meet, is your dog a registered purebred?

I know the answers, Ive done the asking.

My reasearch has been around if not more of the percentages quoted.

for example I think there were less than 70 registered pure bred Stumpy Tailed cattledogs, anywhere.

When classification was started to select 'foundation' dogs to breed back upto ANKC registration I think from memory some 3,000 dogs turned up for classification.

so the hidden gene pool is immense compared to the 'registered' gene pool.

without even touching on pound numbers and their stats.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly.

This is the real world, national parks dont have dog proof fences, they dont even have kangaroo proof fences.

I remember counting 200 kangaroos in among a friends cattle one morning. His property was beside what????????? National Park.

Imagine the screaming if he then allowed his cattle to shift into the next neighbours for a feed now the National park kangaroo's had cleaned his place out of feed?

we dont live in the ideal world.

I'm sorry but Kangaroos should be able to feed on any patch of grass they want. :rofl:

This is the sentiment that really frustrates me... us humans need to co-exist with wild (native/indigenous) animals not exclude them for economic/financial gain. :eek:

Anyway this is going off-topic, I think we have answered the original question. I'm out of here :bolt:

not entirely actually,

most domesticated dingo's come from litters found when farmers are eradicating the parents from their stock.

How many visitors to country stations end up taking home a dingo pup or baby kangaroo whose mum was either shot or run over.

as an awful lot come out of national parks before their unfortunate meetings with landholders or cars, then the survivors can end up in pet homes and adjust remarkably well. I dont know of any domesticated species of roo's? but they sure tame well. My only objection was when some decide to "mark"/pee near the house. it smells just as bad as mouse pee except the volume means the stink is expeditionaly stronger.

Pet Dingo's dont stink the place out.

Edited by asal

I'm not sure but I don't think it is possible for a Dingo to cross breed with another dog...any more than it is for a Basenji to...I believe they have the same unique reproductive system as Basenjis where they need the male to come into season in order for teh female to cycle too. :confused: Anyone?

I'm not sure but I don't think it is possible for a Dingo to cross breed with another dog...any more than it is for a Basenji to...I believe they have the same unique reproductive system as Basenjis where they need the male to come into season in order for teh female to cycle too. :confused: Anyone?

Don't know where you get that idea from.

this forum is discussing that very thing including basenji crosses.

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?7456-Why-do-breeders-mix-Basenjis-with-other-breeds

Dingo in the Australian Cattledog as well

this one you can click on the names to see the Basenji mix dogs named

http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS-MIXES/AZ/AZ-Stickerz.asp

pretty as a picture n a bsl breed in the mix as well :o

http://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS-MIXES/CT/CT-Millie.asp

Edited by asal

Male dingoes in some climates have seasonal reproduction, but that's not found in temperate areas. I've never heard that the male season affecting the female season, more likely both are affected by the time of year, or resources available (ie. whether they are starving or not).

Dogs are root-rats, they'll quite happily mate with a dingo bitch and yes many many many pups have been born from these matings and roam our land!

edit - pretty sure there was a study where they took dingoes from the NT (where the males should be seasonal) and kept them down south somewhere, and they became fertile all year round, then kept some in central Aus in captivity and they remained seasonal. So it's a climate thing.

Edited by Weasels

Male dingoes in some climates have seasonal reproduction, but that's not found in temperate areas. I've never heard that the male season affecting the female season, more likely both are affected by the time of year, or resources available (ie. whether they are starving or not).

Dogs are root-rats, they'll quite happily mate with a dingo bitch and yes many many many pups have been born from these matings and roam our land!

edit - pretty sure there was a study where they took dingoes from the NT (where the males should be seasonal) and kept them down south somewhere, and they became fertile all year round, then kept some in central Aus in captivity and they remained seasonal. So it's a climate thing.

Yes. I'm also remembering that the dingo was used in the establishment and also re-invigoration of the Australian Cattle dog.

The male affecting the female cycle could possible be unique to Basenjis. However, generally speaking I believe dingoes only come on heat annually like the Basenji.

Edited by LizT

Sometimes I wonder about the kelpies, I know that people say they came from Scottish dogs but I know a lot of working kelpies that have a single heat per year. Could that be an indication that there is dingo genetics in there? At least in some lines

Sometimes I wonder about the kelpies, I know that people say they came from Scottish dogs but I know a lot of working kelpies that have a single heat per year. Could that be an indication that there is dingo genetics in there? At least in some lines

There is some compelling oral history and unofficial written accounts that some farmers experimented with dingo in their kelpie lines, but I don't believe it was back close to the breed foundations. I'm sure there were far more breeders who hated dingoes with a fiery passion and didn't want any part of them near their sheep.

Sometimes when I watch Weez trotting along the beach he reminds me of a dingo :) But that could well just be his lazy *ahem* efficient gait

If I can remember correctly (I have a book thats fairly recent on the dingo) it is simply that they come into season once a year. From personal experience I can say that the Dingo we lived with, who was male, would become "active" at a certain time of year. He would have physical symptoms so you could tell. It was also when he would go roaming. Even electric fencing did not keep him in. Much too clever. You could also see his predatory instincts kick in very quickly and although he was very gentle and loving I think anything small that ran would have had him chasing it down. He came from a breeder.

They are very unique creatures thats for sure. Nothing like wolf hybrids or wolves. I have seen a study done on how they are as working dogs (and crosses) compared to the usual breeds and wolf hybrids and they had some very different reactions to things. Which I think came down to the way they are in packs. Not the same group dynamics. Just as wolves and hybrids acted differently to the domestic dogs.

I dont have a problem with anyone owning any breed so long as the animals needs are being met and its being looked after in a responsible manner. If someone wants to own a dingo and they do the right thing, I have no issue. Its not like people owning dingoes effects the wild population in anyway other than maybe creating a bad image.

Ive actually seen dingo pup adds for years. Its nothing new. They act in the way a breeder does. They are not collecting wild animals usually. These are being bred as pets over generations.

ETA: Also I thought some brindling and at least a saddle like pattern had been seen in some of early studies on wild dingoes? That it was some what unknown if that was from crossing with dogs but that it hasnt been seen since (and there is so much dilution now in most) so considered a sign of crossing.

Edited by Akayla

From what I hear from the dingo conservation groups in NSW they seem to cycle once a year at a specific time i.e. seasonal.

It's quite likely that dingoes were used or bred with Kelpies (atleast certain lines). But it is controversial, don't think anyone has really done any research on it.

ETA: Also I thought some brindling and at least a saddle like pattern had been seen in some of early studies on wild dingoes? That it was some what unknown if that was from crossing with dogs but that it hasnt been seen since (and there is so much dilution now in most) so considered a sign of crossing.

Yes there is some evidence of "dingoes" in the 1850-70's having brindling and dappling colours. This was reported in research by Professor Macintosh from Usyd. However it's not clear whether those might be the result of early hybridisation as dogs were certainly present in Australia by 1870 and probably fairly extensively spread. These colours are thought to be more modern than the split between dingoes/dogs, or so I think, so it's more likely they are from dog hybridisation.

Saddle colour I've never seen reported as a "dingo-like" colour. Sabling yes i.e. a black "stripe" along the dorsal like the Fraser Island dingoes.

There is strong evidence that black, black & tan, ginger and white are "real" colours as dingoes of these colours are described in reports either pre-european or very very early european colonisation i.e. 1788ish.

Wow! Great links Mixeduppup and Asal!

Re; The dingo link and controversy over best course of preservation:

Seems to preserve pure strains,you would need breeders keeping them in relative captivity to preserve enough genetic diversity.Licenced and approved breeders for different strains of the species.Accept domestication,but with controls.

Wild populations in preserved areas could be a separate issue,but there would be preserved stocks of relatively pure strains to fall back on or put in..I would hate to see the "Pure' strains bred for any purpose other than keeping the integrity of the species.Maybe a C.S.I R.O type program.

My son had a dingo for 14 years and only died 2 years ago. She was just like any other dog.

many dingo owners like to emphasise how "just like any other dog-ish" their dingo is, if they are so ordinarily dog like then why not just get a regular dog??

can't wait for the day that there is nothing left of novelty/rare/exotic marketting to been exploit just for novelty, the focus for breeders will then have to shift from novelty/rare to actual quality which would be too much of a jump for most;

hmm whats left to exploit, we've done the LGD's,done dingoes, basenji's, NSD's, mountain XXX dogs, the completed program to remove all functional working traits from the working breeds by show breeders....be a brief period of staring at each other wondering which bandwagon next...ah just start making up a history, a good story and a standard and registry to tell the lie, Boerbell anyone.

My son had a dingo for 14 years and only died 2 years ago. She was just like any other dog.

many dingo owners like to emphasise how "just like any other dog-ish" their dingo is, if they are so ordinarily dog like then why not just get a regular dog??

can't wait for the day that there is nothing left of novelty/rare/exotic marketting to been exploit just for novelty, the focus for breeders will then have to shift from novelty/rare to actual quality which would be too much of a jump for most;

hmm whats left to exploit, we've done the LGD's,done dingoes, basenji's, NSD's, mountain XXX dogs, the completed program to remove all functional working traits from the working breeds by show breeders....be a brief period of staring at each other wondering which bandwagon next...ah just start making up a history, a good story and a standard and registry to tell the lie, Boerbell anyone.

Sadly Orrd I don't think that will ever happen :( particuarly with clever marketing of new hybrids and importing of new breeds...the only saving grace is that people lose interest quickly and move on to the next new best thing, latest fashion etc...so then breed enthusiasts can get on with looking after the interests of their breed and heave a collective sigh of relief that the puppy farmers, marketers etc. have moved on.

you comment doesnt even enter 90% of the equation of people who end up with a dingo.

Oord, you really do need to stop trying to pidgeon hole people like that.

the real facts are the great majority of dingo's end up in a pet home because they were rescues.

as long as we have the right to rescue a baby any species people will and frankly ive never seen one end up dumped in some rescue society's pen. Why not? because they knew what they were getting into. unlike so many ooooooh arent they cute........petstore purchases.

Edited by asal

the real facts are the great majority of dingo's end up in a pet home because they were rescues.

as long as we have the right to rescue a baby any species people will and frankly ive never seen one end up dumped in some rescue society's pen

not trying to pidgeaon hole but if the pidgeon hole fits....

as long as we have the right to rescue a baby any species people will and frankly ive never seen one end up dumped in some rescue society's pen

not trying to pidgeaon hole but if the pidgeon hole fits....

:confused: Who? You?

is it comfy :)

Honest, I dont want to offend you.

but I just had this irrisistable urge to ask.

you are obviously passioniate. that doesnt make you right though.

the world never was black and white, letting yourself realise there are thousands of shades in between can be very painful learning when the passion doesnt want to admit that.

but then again?

Wasnt it this kind of passion that got Judy Guard facing 77 years jail?

so yes passion can sure get tougher and tougher laws passed to control even who you can take to a dog show now or face jail for doing so :cool:

Edited by asal