Dingo Pups For Sale

mixeduppup

so as long as the dingo traits that no one can state specifically are of interest to some certain individuals even tho they can't put those specific traits into words is justification enough to own one, i have the right to own one because i want one, enuff said - how much more ego-centric, selfish and immature can people get - not labelling.

on a behavioural level - not a dictionary level - can somoene explain the difference behaviourially to a "feral" animal living and surviving completely in the wild and a "wild" animal doing the same thing. behaviourally there is no distinction so moot point.

weird logic: a wild animal is not a wild animal if a group of people classifiy it as a feral animal even tho its living in the wild and surviving as one???

Who are you to tell people what they can own though? Who are any of us to dictate what someone else should own. Most of the reasons we own animals are selfish ones, we rarely get a dog just for the dog, so why is it any different for dingoes?

There is a difference between domesticated animals and un-domesticated animals.

I don't know if anyone can really ever "own" a dingo - maybe "tolerated" :D I've not had many interactions though!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so as long as the dingo traits that no one can state specifically are of interest to some certain individuals even tho they can't put those specific traits into words is justification enough to own one, i have the right to own one because i want one, enuff said - how much more ego-centric, selfish and immature can people get - not labelling.

on a behavioural level - not a dictionary level - can somoene explain the difference behaviourially to a "feral" animal living and surviving completely in the wild and a "wild" animal doing the same thing. behaviourally there is no distinction so moot point.

weird logic: a wild animal is not a wild animal if a group of people classifiy it as a feral animal even tho its living in the wild and surviving as one???

Who are you to tell people what they can own though? Who are any of us to dictate what someone else should own. Most of the reasons we own animals are selfish ones, we rarely get a dog just for the dog, so why is it any different for dingoes?

There is a difference between domesticated animals and un-domesticated animals.

I don't know if anyone can really ever "own" a dingo - maybe "tolerated" :D I've not had many interactions though!

I sometimes look at my maremma and think "I don't really own you" But we have agreat relationship.

Orrd is saying that no one should or has the right to. I'm simply saying that many dingoes can live long and happy lives with dingo savvy people in a proper set up

orrd said that??

i remember asking a bunch of questions and got a bit name cally....???

and there is a difference between living and existing, but i won't go into that

what this person said;

Because they aren't domestic dogs? They haven't been selectively bred for many of the characteristics people expect in a pet dog and the challenges of keeping one safe and happy would be beyond many potential dog owners.

what this person said;

Because they aren't domestic dogs? They haven't been selectively bred for many of the characteristics people expect in a pet dog and the challenges of keeping one safe and happy would be beyond many potential dog owners.

do i take it you feel he should have let her die that day?

well does that mean you feel your opinion is more valid than that of those who choose to save a life?

What make you think your opinion is more valid than that of those who do not have the same?

maybe its my turn to go, eh????

There are several colours that pure dingoes can be - ginger (may have light sabling), white, black, black & tan. Often Ginger dogs have white markings (socks/tail tips).

Slightly off topic but interesting, these are the colours shibas are found in as well, right down to often shareing a black mask as pups :D

that was a reply to someone else, about something else using someone else's quote...i'm confused

wonder what the Chamberlain family would have to say about all this.

So because Azaria (RIP) was killed by a dingo, an individual dingo, you are now condemning the whole dingo race as wild, untrustworthy creatures that should remain where they are? I fear you have had very little to do with a well raised pet dingoes.

Edited by mixeduppup

what this person said;

do i take it you feel he should have let her die that day?

not sure of the exact circumstances but in general i would answer yes, as brutal as that sounds.

[/b]well does that mean you feel your opinion is more valid than that of those who choose to save a life?

emotional pointscoring - lacks reasoned argument

What make you think your opinion is more valid than that of those who do not have the same?

i already outlined the basis for my opinions previously and they are based on observation and fact and general welfare of our wild/feral/native species...and some unneccesary emotive additional language.

maybe its my turn to go, eh????

then go eh

that was a reply to someone else, about something else using someone else's quote...i'm confused

So because Azaria (RIP) was killed by a dingo, an individual dingo, you are now condemning the whole dingo race as wild, untrustworthy creatures that should remain where they are? I fear you have had very little to do with a well raised pet dingoes.

err no, thats not what i am saying, or said??? - YOU made that up all by yrself - drinking??

does the word "race" apply to non-humans?? anthropomorhising???

[/quotY

sorry missed that the first time - YES, YES, YES thats EXACTLY and ALL i am saying.

someone finally gets it.

Edited by orrd

err no, thats not what i am saying, or said??? - YOU made that up all by yrself - drinking??

does the word "race" apply to non-humans?? anthropomorhising???

OK don't get rude.

But not every owner. Many people would be able to house a dingo and many people would not. Orrd is saying that no one should or has the right to. I'm simply saying that many dingoes can live long and happy lives with dingo savvy people in a proper set up

You can make the same argument for most exotic pets. But it doesn't fly in a lot of cases.

A "pet" dingo is still a pack animal is it? Is it fair to keep one as a solitary pet? If you desex it (as surely a responsible person would outside of a zoo or sanctuary) then it's lost to the gene pool.

I have never really gotten the idea that the best expression of love or fascination for wild animals is owning one. Not quite as bad as sticking their heads on your wall but unless you keep them appropriately to their species then I say don't keep them at all.

If you 'rescue' a dingo pup, there are avenues beyond keeping it as a pet to ensure it's safety.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

But not every owner. Many people would be able to house a dingo and many people would not. Orrd is saying that no one should or has the right to. I'm simply saying that many dingoes can live long and happy lives with dingo savvy people in a proper set up

You can make the same argument for most exotic pets. But it doesn't fly in a lot of cases.

A "pet" dingo is still a pack animal is it? Is it fair to keep one as a solitary pet? If you desex it (as surely a responsible person would outside of a zoo or sanctuary) then it's lost to the gene pool.

I have never really gotten the idea that the best expression of love or fascination for wild animals is owning one. Not quite as bad as sticking their heads on your wall but unless you keep them appropriately to their species then I say don't keep them at all.

If you 'rescue' a dingo pup, there are avenues beyond keeping it as a pet to ensure it's safety.

Dingoes are known to hunt alone a lot of the time so pack theory is weak at best, I'll try and find the study I was reading about it the other day.

Other dogs can become a valuable 'pack' if indeed the dingo is a pack animal as they do get along quite well usually. I still don't consider a dingo a 'wild' animal and most textbooks don't either. They are not considered a 'true' wild dog in a lot of a scientific circles. Also the dingo's ability to adapt is there to see plainly, from the pet ones I have viewed since I started researching this topic they seem happy, well adjusted and content animals. Yes they have more acute senses that need special handling and care but dingo savvy people can provide that.

Dingo to wolf comparisons may be a little off base, they are very different. They are also quite different to many wild species of animal. The species Canis lupus (sorry no italics on the iPhone for the pedants) is a very rare phenomenon in that many of its members have come to share the same ecological space as humans. The fact that gray wolves or the proto dog descendants of gray wolves sought out and maintained a close relationship with human habitations over thousands of years is indicative of the unique characteristics which have allowed them to be so successful as a domesticated species.

I think that many of the traits which existed in the proto dog also exist in the dingo and that is why they can be tamed with a certain degree of success, they do benefit from their relationship with humans and that's not under dispute, domestics and tamed ferals enjoy longer healthier lives than their free living counterparts. If an animal can have its physical and emotional needs met though an alliance with a human then that is nothing more drastic or distressing than has been happening for millennia, if we are going to disagree with the taming of those species which are amenable to it (and most are not) then it then follows that we must disagree with the domestication of the original species.

As to why people would own one? Well who knows, I only speak for myself when I say that I love the independence of huskies, their natural presence and beauty and that little touch of something that could be a remnant of their wild origins, it sets them a little apart.

A lot of people end up with dingoes because they handrais them after their mum is shot. Would you rather they're euthanised so they don't have to live in a pet home?

Thank goodness, you are wondering the same as me.

As to the confusion as to whether the Australian Dingo is a "wild" or feral dog. One must look at the orign of the animal. This extract from a journal article written by Savolainen et al. (2004) can give some in sight (please see full reference at the bottom of this post.)

" The dingo originated from a population of East Asian dogs. Type A29 was one of several domestic dog mtDNA types brought into Island Southeast Asia, but only A29 reached Australia. The dingo population was probably founded from a small number of animals, as the last trickle of domestic dogs through a series of bottlenecks, or even by a single chance event and has since remained effectively isolated from other dog populations. The dingoes may have arrived in connection with the expansion, starting ≈6,000 yr ago, from south China into Island Southeast Asia of the Austronesian culture. By this time, domestic dogs had existed for several thousand years (4, 11), and the present semidomestic state of the dingo can probably be attributed to a long existence as a feral animal. After >3,500 years of isolation, the dingoes represent a unique isolate of early undifferentiated dogs. "

From this we can conclude that the dingo is not a truly wild breed of dog, but semidomesticated to feral breed. Hence more likely to integrate well into a cohabitation enviroment with humans.

Anecdotal evidence has shown that dingo can be a more sociable animal than some recognized breeds of domestic dog.

• Savolainen, P. Leitner, T. Wilton, A,N. Matisoo-Smith,E. Lundeberg, J. (2004) A detailed picture of the origin of the Australian dingo, obtained from the study of mitochondrial DNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. Vol. 101 no. 33 12387-12390

Link to full article below.

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/33/12387.full

[quote

name=orrd' timestamp='1350369506' post='5988028]

sorry missed that the first time - YES, YES, YES thats EXACTLY and ALL i am saying.

someone finally gets it.

Oh , so we have a pro BSL troll in our Midst

Edited by asal

Dingo to wolf comparisons may be a little off base, they are very different. They are also quite different to many wild species of animal. The species Canis lupus (sorry no italics on the iPhone for the pedants) is a very rare phenomenon in that many of its members have come to share the same ecological space as humans. The fact that gray wolves or the proto dog descendants of gray wolves sought out and maintained a close relationship with human habitations over thousands of years is indicative of the unique characteristics which have allowed them to be so successful as a domesticated species.

I think that many of the traits which existed in the proto dog also exist in the dingo and that is why they can be tamed with a certain degree of success, they do benefit from their relationship with humans and that's not under dispute, domestics and tamed ferals enjoy longer healthier lives than their free living counterparts. If an animal can have its physical and emotional needs met though an alliance with a human then that is nothing more drastic or distressing than has been happening for millennia, if we are going to disagree with the taming of those species which are amenable to it (and most are not) then it then follows that we must disagree with the domestication of the original species.

As to why people would own one? Well who knows, I only speak for myself when I say that I love the independence of huskies, their natural presence and beauty and that little touch of something that could be a remnant of their wild origins, it sets them a little apart.

This is pretty much how I see it too.

I don't think anyone is seriously comparing wolves to dingos tho'.

I mentioned my experience in response to to a comment that wolves can't be domesticated based on recent research.My point being that I didn't think the research was definitive because wolf populations have undergone changes.The traits that might make domestication possible have been 'culled" from populations,maybe just dormant and could recurr in the right situation.

Doesn't mean I think we should try to domesticate them or breed wolf hybrids.It doesn't mean I think when it does happen,the results should be assumed to be "wrong" either.

As for Dingos,No,I don't think my sister should have had a hybrid Dingo.She shouldn't have had a G.S.D at that time either,let alone a working line but thats pretty much what she had.

If you asked me "Should anyone who wants one be able to have a dingo,I would have to say no.I don't think any one who wants one should have a working line G.S.D or Malinoise.

There are similarities here to the thread on crating where I don't think judgement or blanket statements acheive anything.

Edited by moosmum