Dingo Pups For Sale

mixeduppup

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is legal in NSW - they are treated like dogs under the Companion Animals Act - so just need to be microchipped and registered etc. I met a purebred dingo that was someone's pet recently while doing a demo for my agility club - very handsome fellow!

I think only NSW and WA allow dingoes to be kept as pets without a permit.

We have a few around here, I can't see why people prefer them over domestic dogs. They won't recall if they don't want to, have minimal natural interest in humans and are very tough to train! The opposite of everything we've bred dogs for to make them so wonderful to live with :)

We met Casper the dingo puppy recently who was in foster care. He was a very pleasant, easy-going, quiet little puppy. I gather some people really like having dingos as pets and if they're experienced with the breed, then it seems to work out for them. We would have temp-cared him for a week if we didn't already have a foster with us.

When I worked in an animal park a few years back I loved the Dingoes, they're beautiful natured, I used to hang out with them, there's definitely something there that can't be harnessed, just has to be admired. They're beautiful. I think a lot of people get them because they want something different, or it could be the attention they get fro having a dingo, or maybe they just love their temperament.

When I worked in an animal park a few years back I loved the Dingoes, they're beautiful natured, I used to hang out with them, there's definitely something there that can't be harnessed, just has to be admired. They're beautiful. I think a lot of people get them because they want something different, or it could be the attention they get fro having a dingo, or maybe they just love their temperament.

our neighbours had one, she was a lovely girl and no trouble. she didnt even go after the neighbours chooks either. Maybe jack russels have dingo hunting instincts in em? mentally at least anyway :rofl:

although as I understand it, that is definately not the norm and can jump like a stag if they decide too. but then my border collie was discovered to be able to clear 7 feet when he wanted too.

good fencing might be a sensible idea.

Edited by asal

Ah yes KTB, but wolf puppies are also like dogs, until they grow up and say "stuff you meatbag" and start doing their own thing ;)

Not a breed, but a wild animal, with wild animal instincts.

True, but my understanding is that while a wolf will always revert to type i.e. you can't really tame a wolf, some people have managed to be successful in having a pet dingo. The dingos that come into rescue only get homed with experienced owners. I'm definitely no expert though which is why I stick to Kelpies/Kelpie crosses for my fostering. Won't even foster cattle dogs because I don't understand them and am told they'd be too much dog for me :laugh:

Casper was a cutie though

casper02.jpg

casper03.jpg

Elbie and Hoover didn't like him much though - I think they sensed he was a bit 'different'. They looked at him very warily.

Edited by koalathebear

our neighbours had one, she was a lovely girl and no trouble. she didnt even go after the neighbours chooks either. Maybe jack russels have dingo hunting instincts in em? mentally at least anyway :rofl:

although as I understand it, that is definately not the norm and can jump like a stag if they decide too. but then my border collie was discovered to be able to clear 7 feet when he wanted too.

good fencing might be a sensible idea.

Haha, I had a foster dogt hat could clear a 7ft fence, she had internal springs I swear. The Dingoes at the park had 12 foot cyclone wire fencing dug in 1.5 meters or something, but there was 8 of them so...

Awww so very cute :D The wild pups are always chubby little fluffballs, hard to imagine them growing into the lean wiry adults that they do :p

Some people have done a great job with dingoes, but not for a lack of hard work! Some may also be crosses too which would help.

Edit: dingoes also have flexible wrists, so they can open doors too :eek:

Edited by Weasels

Awww so very cute :D The wild pups are always chubby little fluffballs, hard to imagine them growing into the lean wiry adults that they do :p

Some people have done a great job with dingoes, but not for a lack of hard work! Some may also be crosses too which would help.

Edit: dingoes also have flexible wrists, so they can open doors too :eek:

The raptors of the dog world :laugh:

My cat would be very jealous of that

Ah yes KTB, but wolf puppies are also like dogs, until they grow up and say "stuff you meatbag" and start doing their own thing ;)

Not a breed, but a wild animal, with wild animal instincts.

I disagree. They are decendened from domestic animals and came across to Australia together with man. They are not truly a "native animal"..and all dogs have the capacity to go 'wild' and feral.

I have known many Dingo pet dogs here in Victoria over the years and they are no more difficult to train and own than many other "demanding' breeds. Truly, they are not for everyone and shouldn't be. But then neither is a German Shepherd, Basenji, Border Collie, or a Kelpie......

Edited by LizT

Kaos didn't treat the dingo much differently - he is not overly interested in other dogs anyway. It was very interesting to see them together though and see the differences and the similarities in appearance.

Oh he's lovely koalathebear. What a handsome little man :love:

I know! I wish we could have temp cared him because he was so lovely but he wasn't properly crate trained and we were fostering a tiny 6 week old border collie puppy so the logistics would have been nightmarish i.e. we didn't have the time to crate train him and our first priority was to our own foster dog.

We did get photos of him though so that my Canadian husband (who already thinks that KELPIES are exotic - haha) could send photos back to his family in Toronto :laugh:

2 more photos of Casper the cutie

casper01.jpg

casper04.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

I disagree. They are decendened from domestic animals and came across to Australia together with man. They are not truly a "native animal"..and all dogs have the capacity to go 'wild' and feral.

I have known many Dingo pet dogs here in Victoria over the years and they are no more difficult to train and own than many other "demanding' breeds. Truly, they are not for everyone and shouldn't be. But then neither is a German Shepherd, Basenji, Border Collie, or a Kelpie......

I would say they are descended from commensal animals that lived in association with man, but not they'd ever been what I would consider domesticated.

I'm not saying dingoes can't be good pets, just that we have worked so hard for so long to breed the traits that work for us into dogs, so they make even bettter pets!