Enough Gumtree Ads Perhaps?

Salukifan

It never was that. But it was new and experienced dog folk talking about purebred dogs and all the issues that sprang from that... breeding, choosing, buying, feeding, training, care, grooming,history.. lots of stuff. Rescue was here then too.

i came here as the newish owner of two purebred dogs. Since then I've titled dogs in conformation, obedience, and agility, trained as an instructor, registered a Breeders prefix and become involved in my local Breed club, and my Canine Control. I've also added a second breed to my home. A lot of that has been with the advice and encouragement of more experienced members here.

I've evolved as a dog owner, furthering my knowledge of a lot of aspects of dogs. You don't get to do that by reading forums mainly populated with vents, whinges and finger pointing at poor dog related practices.

Agree 100%

I read general but very rarely post as most are whining type topics with people not even taking advice, it's very annoying.

Personally I don't like how the breeders have been sectioned off in their own little area because a few non-breeders made them decide to close ranks. Alot of knowledge and learning was lost that way but I can understand why. It's sad that the ones that actually financially contribute to this forum by having listings on Dogz can't even express their opinion freely anymore.

Bring back the good old days!

No more subforums! :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even remember my reason for joining DOL back in 2007. I think that maybe I had started my research into buying another dog as Poochie was getting on in years but I certainly wasn't an active member until well into 2009 after Zeus was purchased.

Zeus is everything this board doesn't support -- he's a pet shop designer dog -- but I still chose to come here seeking help and advice. I'm not ashamed to admit that I knew nothing of BYB and pet shop puppies when I'd bought him, but if I could go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd also like to think that I didn't bombard the board with cries of "woe is me, I just bought a dog and know nothing of either of his crosses" but I also won't apologise for any help I sought out.

I do know I did a LOT of reading up about beagles and JRTs to find some sort of mould to fit Zeus into; the result has been a well adjusted, intelligent and loyal dog who is the pride and love of my life.

DOL did help my a lot in my search for another Aussie after I lost Poochie and I'm grateful for all the information shared in the Aussie Thread. Kirah came through DOL research and I couldn't be happier with her. She's everything true about the breed and her tough as nails attitude is everything I've come to know and love about the breed. She wouldn't be here if I hadn't discovered DOL back in 2007, because without it, there's no way I would've known how to search out an Aussie breeder.

I'm also grateful for the wealth of knowledge regarding health and dog sports too. I've learned a lot about dog health and agility too and I'm definitely going to give it a go now I know that Zeus can compete.

Most importantly of all, I value everyone's input and opinions because this place would be boring if we all agreed on everything!!

I don't think you're a bitch, far from it. I appreciate that you're invested in this forum and love it. I'm just saying that maybe making a thread about the gumtree ads and how they are annoying you may come across as hurtful/harsh to people who were trying to help the dogs in the ads, that's all. Maybe it could have been slightly more tactful and diplomatic, That's all :)

I don't like the Politically Correct nation, so I'm all for this thread being made. I think HW makes some good points here and the ads aren't as useful here as they would be in other places [preaching to the choir/those who can't help]. I've already made points about why I think they are useful but totally understand where HW is coming from.

So what if there was a sub-section somewhere where people could post some links to Gumtree ads, where dogs might be in danger or in need of immediate rescue? Would that not stop annoying others but also make sure others who do want to see them, look for them?

Like I said before, I think some of the ads posted here have really helped dogs. Personally, I know at least one has for fact. I know the links aren't allowed, but what if they were? For one specific sub-section? It'd at least keep it to one section where those who wanted to see them, could see them.

That could be a viable solution.

Thats what the Rescue sub forum is for! Or the breed sub forums. If people are posting because they genuinely want to help a particular dog be rescued I'm sure they would be welcome to post there. I would hate to see esp the Rescue forum clogged up with vents though so I would expect people to think carefully about their motivation before posting in there. And, thinking out loud, if you don't feel comfortable posting your concern about an online ad or petshop in Rescue or Breed sub forum maybe those are the threads you don't need to post at all...?

Thats what the Rescue sub forum is for! Or the breed sub forums. If people are posting because they genuinely want to help a particular dog be rescued I'm sure they would be welcome to post there. I would hate to see esp the Rescue forum clogged up with vents though so I would expect people to think carefully about their motivation before posting in there. And, thinking out loud, if you don't feel comfortable posting your concern about an online ad or petshop in Rescue or Breed sub forum maybe those are the threads you don't need to post at all...?

I believe I made that point upfront in my first post. I wasn't talking about posts seeking to help dogs.... more the "lets all get outraged together" variety. It's tiresome.

It never was that. But it was new and experienced dog folk talking about purebred dogs and all the issues that sprang from that... breeding, choosing, buying, feeding, training, care, grooming,history.. lots of stuff. Rescue was here then too.

i came here as the newish owner of two purebred dogs. Since then I've titled dogs in conformation, obedience, and agility, trained as an instructor, registered a Breeders prefix and become involved in my local Breed club, and my Canine Control. I've also added a second breed to my home. A lot of that has been with the advice and encouragement of more experienced members here.

I've evolved as a dog owner, furthering my knowledge of a lot of aspects of dogs. You don't get to do that by reading forums mainly populated with vents, whinges and finger pointing at poor dog related practices.

Agree 100%

I read general but very rarely post as most are whining type topics with people not even taking advice, it's very annoying.

Personally I don't like how the breeders have been sectioned off in their own little area because a few non-breeders made them decide to close ranks. Alot of knowledge and learning was lost that way but I can understand why. It's sad that the ones that actually financially contribute to this forum by having listings on Dogz can't even express their opinion freely anymore.

Bring back the good old days!

No more subforums! :)

Oh I agree about the breeder's forum. I used to love that I could start a thread to ask a question regarding breeding because I find it very interesting and want to learn. I don't think I'll ever be a breeder myself -- I really admire the work they all do with their breeds of choice -- but sometimes something I've read will prompt a question and I don't want to PM people because I fear I'll be annoying them with what I think is probably a silly question and that they'll get annoyed for being PMed about it.

Oh I agree about the breeder's forum. I used to love that I could start a thread to ask a question regarding breeding because I find it very interesting and want to learn. I don't think I'll ever be a breeder myself -- I really admire the work they all do with their breeds of choice -- but sometimes something I've read will prompt a question and I don't want to PM people because I fear I'll be annoying them with what I think is probably a silly question and that they'll get annoyed for being PMed about it.

I think you still can. You just can't contribute to threads you haven't started. You can thank the breeder bashers for that.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

No, it's not what the Rescue sub forum is for. Because links to Gumtree ads are NOT allowed. And dogs on Gumtree are generally not classed as 'rescue.'

As someone who runs a Rescue Group, I'd hate to see the MAIN rescue forum clogged up with Gumtree Ads. That's NOT where they need to go. They need to go somewhere else, in a sub-forum of that. Because, as strange as it may sound, even those who Rescue don't always want to know about Gumtree Ads.

No, it's not what the Rescue sub forum is for. Because links to Gumtree ads are NOT allowed. And dogs on Gumtree are generally not classed as 'rescue.'

As someone who runs a Rescue Group, I'd hate to see the MAIN rescue forum clogged up with Gumtree Ads. That's NOT where they need to go. They need to go somewhere else, in a sub-forum of that. Because, as strange as it may sound, even those who Rescue don't always want to know about Gumtree Ads.

Maybe they don't need to go anywhere. I think we can all find Gumtree if we choose to look.

I think you still can. You just can't contribute to threads you haven't started. You can thank the breeder bashers for that.

I think Troy was having issues with the forum script when it was updated or something because I'd asked about it. As it stands, I don't have any posting access but I'm cool with that. It does help me hone my googling skills when searching for the answer! :D

I think Troy was having issues with the forum script when it was updated or something because I'd asked about it. As it stands, I don't have any posting access but I'm cool with that. It does help me hone my googling skills when searching for the answer! :D

You can always still ask in General. It would break up the Gumtree ads. :provoke:

One more thing DOL has done for me: lightened my wallet because I have bought a BUNCH of stuff based on DOLer recommendations.... up to and including a dog trailer.

Hehe, yes I've noticed DOL is very good for wallet lightening! And time eating...

Tollers, I don't know the circumstances of how the Breeders forum got separated. I love reading it though and I think anyone here who never looks at it is missing out. If it wasn't locked though, wouldn't it be annoying for you to have 5 million "cute puppy" responses to evey photo? Because that's what I always want to say when I look at the pics in there :) and then there would be the "oh can I have one?" posts, and random questions from people who haven't even done basic research into breeding?

You can always still ask in General. It would break up the Gumtree ads. :provoke:

That's an excellent point and I can't believe I was so dumb to not think of that :o

I'm naturally blonde; please speak slowly :doh:

I believe I made that point upfront in my first post. I wasn't talking about posts seeking to help dogs.... more the "lets all get outraged together" variety. It's tiresome.

Maybe they don't need to go anywhere. I think we can all find Gumtree if we choose to look.

Fair points well made HW. See, I just needed to talk myself around in a big circle to get back to the beginning and say yes, I agree ;)

And maybe this forum has evolved beyond just purebreed discussion? As in, the Rescue sub-forum.

And maybe people in Rescue are already so time-consumed they don't have a chance to look through ALL the Gumtree ads to find the ones who might actually be in danger.

I don't think it's unfair, for a Purebreed Forum that provides a Rescue sub-forum, to consider the fact that there are others who can bring attention to some dogs in urgent need.

I feel exactly the same way. Perhaps we should lead by example and post actual dog related stuff in general when we have questions pop into our heads? :p

Tollers, I don't know the circumstances of how the Breeders forum got separated. I love reading it though and I think anyone here who never looks at it is missing out. If it wasn't locked though, wouldn't it be annoying for you to have 5 million "cute puppy" responses to evey photo? Because that's what I always want to say when I look at the pics in there :) and then there would be the "oh can I have one?" posts, and random questions from people who haven't even done basic research into breeding?

Not sure if it would annoy the breeders in there (who doesn't like being told their puppies are gorgeous!?), but it wasn't always seperated so they had to deal with it before and I don't recall any complaints. If breeders only wanted breeders responses they usually said so in the topic title and most abided by it. I think the pros always used to out weigh the negatives.

I learnt tonnes (had a few flamings!!) and stuck around because of all the knowledge but so many good people have left now or rarely post.

And maybe people in Rescue are already so time-consumed they don't have a chance to look through ALL the Gumtree ads to find the ones who might actually be in danger.

Uhh pretty sure all the dogs in the pounds are actually in danger before the dogs listed on gumtree, those are still not in the pound system. If rescues have such a lack of dogs to rescue from pounds (a dream!) I am sure they would look themselves on Gumtree!

Edited by tollersowned

And maybe this forum has evolved beyond just purebreed discussion? As in, the Rescue sub-forum.

I don't think it's unfair, for a Purebreed Forum that provides a Rescue sub-forum, to consider the fact that there are others who can bring attention to some dogs in urgent need.

HW has already clarified that her grievance is not people posting about genuine in need dogs, but more so people getting up in arms around dogs in pet shops and on Gumtree.

Why are dogs advertised on Gumtree considered to be automatically "in urgent need" or requiring "saving"???

Edited by Haredown Whippets