Enough Gumtree Ads Perhaps?

Salukifan

Guest lavendergirl

lavendergirl - I agree. And while there have been squillions of posts about "my puppy is biting me", those threads are often old and locked and it's still 'new' to the new puppy owner ... I usually try to search and read old threats before I post a question but I'm not going to flame anyone who doesn't do that.

i don't disapprove of crossbred dog owners posting either. But if you are (as some have been) a member who's been around a while and who then heads off to a BYB or a pet shop for the next dog then sorry, you're part of the problem.

:confused: I hope you mean 'you' in the general sense and not 'you' as in 'me'.

Yep - along with the best dry food/pet insurance/worming/itchiness/barking etc queries. If you don't feel like responding, don't, but someone else may have something new to say. :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that threads like this may alienate newer members and members that are just trying to help. It doesn't come off as very welcoming or caring.

Well colour me a total bitch then if that rocks your boat. :)

God forbid a newcomer to a forum got a reminder about its original purpose. Of course those of us who've been here over a decade should not be invested at all in how the forum evolves.

Ooops make that nearly a decade.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree. And while there have been squillions of posts about "my puppy is biting me", those threads are often old and locked and it's still 'new' to the new puppy owner ... I usually try to search and read old threats before I post a question but I'm not going to flame anyone who doesn't do that.

Me neither. But when it's thread after thread from someone who bought a BYB pup and who then drains this place dry for info and DEFENDS their purchase then I get a bit fragile. icon_smile_mad.gif

I do agree with you on that point HW. And I have to admit sometimes I read some of the gumtree/petshops threads and think people are trying to win points or something for some reason...

But who hasn't had a vent here and there, I certainly have! I live by myself and don't really have "doggy" friends or family IRL so I often want to come on here and have a whinge. Usually (not always) I calm down and don't start a thread about it, but some people work things through by talking about them, no skin off my nose *shrug*

Edited by Simply Grand

I agree some of the topics don't sit well in General and would probably be ok in off topic.I think there is a reluctance to start a dog related thread in off topic even when the main content is more suited to off topic.Either have these threads in off topic or ban the subject matter and delete them when they appear.

As for long time users not making a contribution.What is meant by this ? A lot of users are here to learn and may not have the knowledge to be able to contribute much to others

but i'm sure they will do if and when they can.

I feel that threads like this may alienate newer members and members that are just trying to help. It doesn't come off as very welcoming or caring.

Well colour me a total bitch then if that rocks your boat. :)

God forbid a newcomer to a forum got a reminder about its original purpose. Of course those of us who've been here over a decade should not be invested at all in how the forum evolves.

I don't think you're a bitch, far from it. I appreciate that you're invested in this forum and love it. I'm just saying that maybe making a thread about the gumtree ads and how they are annoying you may come across as hurtful/harsh to people who were trying to help the dogs in the ads, that's all. Maybe it could have been slightly more tactful and diplomatic, That's all :)

I agree some of the topics don't sit well in General and would probably be ok in off topic.I think there is a reluctance to start a dog related thread in off topic even when the main content is more suited to off topic.Either have these threads in off topic or ban the subject matter and delete them when they appear.

As for long time users not making a contribution.What is meant by this ? A lot of users are here to learn and may not have the knowledge to be able to contribute much to others

but i'm sure they will do if and when they can.

I meant those who never talk about dogs.

First time I posted was because I needed a training group to help with my cross-breed almost-pet-shop-puppy (and I'll always be grateful to Monika for answering).

Then I got caught up in the rescue threads and have fostered a dozen or so dogs. A couple failed, especially our wonderful Jodie. I've been to dog shows, met great rescuers and a funeral, met great breeders and trainers and fun dog owners.

Next pup is going to be a pure-bred pedigreed DOL dog, hopefully born in about two weeks time :thumbsup:

I totally understand where HD is coming from because I'm completely over the pet shop and gumtree threads, and I'm also very careful about our leash-free activities. Can't help but hope though that the newbies will come in and learn and eventually think 'been there, know that, will spread the word'

If it's the soul purpose of this forum then why is there an offtopic and a general dog discussion area?

I think purebred is the basis of this forum and a great one but just like everything that has a lot of members it evolves to keep up with its clientele. This doesn't mean it's any less effective in getting across it's original message but simply has grown to accommodate more areas of dog ownership.

Unless you're paying, which some people do, you are not 'clientele'.

More areas of dog ownership can mean many things, indeed, however, constant threads about this ad or that ad or this petshop or that petshop are just wearying.

If it's the soul purpose of this forum then why is there an offtopic and a general dog discussion area?

I think purebred is the basis of this forum and a great one but just like everything that has a lot of members it evolves to keep up with its clientele. This doesn't mean it's any less effective in getting across it's original message but simply has grown to accommodate more areas of dog ownership.

Unless you're paying, which some people do, you are not 'clientele'.

More areas of dog ownership can mean many things, indeed, however, constant threads about this ad or that ad or this petshop or that petshop are just wearying.

I understand the meaning of the word, HW mentioned paying for her breeding ads. As for the ads it's easy to just not open them.

I don't think you're a bitch, far from it. I appreciate that you're invested in this forum and love it. I'm just saying that maybe making a thread about the gumtree ads and how they are annoying you may come across as hurtful/harsh to people who were trying to help the dogs in the ads, that's all. Maybe it could have been slightly more tactful and diplomatic, That's all :)

OK then. I'll consider myself told.

So there. :p

I'm not being rude. Sorry if I came off as rude. I don't think you're a bitch :)

Same with me katdogs, I came to DOL for help and advice with my first ever puppy, a BYB poodle x. Since then I've become involved in the world of obedience and dog sports and now have two more dogs, both of which are ANKC purebreds. I've learned so much about dogs and now try to advocate responsible, ethical, healthy breeding, placement and training of pets - spreading the word :)

If I had come across DOL and found only the Breeders, The Show Ring and Dog Sports type forums I wouldn't have stuck around and learned what I have (although I now find those forums interesting and regularly read them). The variety of General and the opportunity to talk about all sorts of doggy things is what makes people join and stay (IMO)'

Same with me katdogs, I came to DOL for help and advice with my first ever puppy, a BYB poodle x. Since then I've become involved in the world of obedience and dog sports and now have two more dogs, both of which are ANKC purebreds. I've learned so much about dogs and now try to advocate responsible, ethical, healthy breeding, placement and training of pets - spreading the word :)

If I had come across DOL and found only the Breeders, The Show Ring and Dog Sports type forums I wouldn't have stuck around and learned what I have (although I now find those forums interesting and regularly read them). The variety of General and the opportunity to talk about all sorts of doggy things is what makes people join and stay (IMO)'

Once upon a time there weren't many forums other than General. Health and nutrition, training, dog sports etc were split off because there were so many threads on those subjects in General. Dog breed subforums and Dog Breeds 101 also split off from General.

Those were the days :laugh: A lot of the really experienced folk have left. Maybe they got told off for being "nasty" to newbs one time too many. We used to have a ton of those threads too. eek1.gif

But how does discussion ONLY between experienced pure bred people promote and increase knowledge about pure bred dogs? Aren't we (not that I'm including myself as experienced but YKWIM) better off encouraging new people, however annoying, to come and learn?

On other note, some new people do come in all guns blazing and either don't read the rules or any other threads at all before posting - which is a bit silly really - or they are intentionally stirring up trouble, troll anyone? I know exactly what you mean about newbies who join up, post 10,000 threads about their BYB/pet shop puppy, and everything else under the sun, then argue till they're blue in the face why they are right. Those people clearly don't want to learn from being here and are just annoying... Although I do find the train crash threads fun to watch *gets popcorn* :o

Edited by Simply Grand

But how does discussion ONLY between experienced pure bred people promote and increase knowledge about pure bred dogs? Aren't we (not that I'm including myself as experienced but YKWIM) better off encouraging new people, however annoying, to come and learn?

On other note, some new people do come in all guns blazing and either don't read the rules or any other threads at all before posting - which is a bit silly really - or they are intentionally stirring up trouble, troll anyone? I know exactly what you mean about newbies who join up, post 10,000 threads about their BYB/pet shop puppy then argue till they're blue in the face why they are right. Those people clearly don't want to learn from being here and are just annoying... Although I do find the train crash threads fun to watch *gets popcorn* :o

It never was that. But it was new and experienced dog folk talking about purebred dogs and all the issues that sprang from that... breeding, choosing, buying, feeding, training, care, grooming,history.. lots of stuff. Rescue was here then too.

i came here as the newish owner of two purebred dogs. Since then I've titled dogs in conformation, obedience, and agility, trained as an instructor, registered a Breeders prefix and become involved in my local Breed club, and my Canine Control. I've also added a second breed to my home. A lot of that has been with the advice and encouragement of more experienced members here.

I've evolved as a dog owner, furthering my knowledge of a lot of aspects of dogs. You don't get to do that by reading forums mainly populated with vents, whinges and finger pointing at poor dog related practices.

I don't like the Politically Correct nation, so I'm all for this thread being made. I think HW makes some good points here and the ads aren't as useful here as they would be in other places [preaching to the choir/those who can't help]. I've already made points about why I think they are useful but totally understand where HW is coming from.

So what if there was a sub-section somewhere where people could post some links to Gumtree ads, where dogs might be in danger or in need of immediate rescue? Would that not stop annoying others but also make sure others who do want to see them, look for them?

Like I said before, I think some of the ads posted here have really helped dogs. Personally, I know at least one has for fact. I know the links aren't allowed, but what if they were? For one specific sub-section? It'd at least keep it to one section where those who wanted to see them, could see them.

I don't like the Politically Correct nation, so I'm all for this thread being made. I think HW makes some good points here and the ads aren't as useful here as they would be in other places [preaching to the choir/those who can't help]. I've already made points about why I think they are useful but totally understand where HW is coming from.

So what if there was a sub-section somewhere where people could post some links to Gumtree ads, where dogs might be in danger or in need of immediate rescue? Would that not stop annoying others but also make sure others who do want to see them, look for them?

Like I said before, I think some of the ads posted here have really helped dogs. Personally, I know at least one has for fact. I know the links aren't allowed, but what if they were? For one specific sub-section? It'd at least keep it to one section where those who wanted to see them, could see them.

That could be a viable solution.