Enough Gumtree Ads Perhaps?

Salukifan

Uhh pretty sure all the dogs in the pounds are actually in danger before the dogs listed on gumtree, those are still not in the system. If rescues have such a lack of dogs to rescue from pounds (a dream!) I am sure they would look themselves on Gumtree!

That's a misconception.

Not all foster carers can take on all dogs that are in pounds at any one time.

Not all 'rescues' rescue from pounds. Some do just take on surrenders and those from online classifieds.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are dogs advertised on Gumtree considered to be "in urgent need"???

I would consider an undesexed purebred pug, six months old, in urgent need.

I would consider that pug being bought, going on to produce several litters of Pug x's, her whole life being to breed, her puppies being backyard bred.

That is urgent. To me.

Uhh pretty sure all the dogs in the pounds are actually in danger before the dogs listed on gumtree, those are still not in the system. If rescues have such a lack of dogs to rescue from pounds (a dream!) I am sure they would look themselves on Gumtree!

That's a misconception.

Not all foster carers can take on all dogs that are in pounds at any one time.

Not all 'rescues' rescue from pounds. Some do just take on surrenders and those from online classifieds.

So if some take from online classifieds already why is there are need to post them here where most rescues DO rescue from pounds?

Gumtree adds do not belong in the rescue section. If you feel like they should, maybe a poll in that section asking if it's appropriate to list them there is needed?

So if some take from online classifieds already why is there are need to post them here where most rescues DO rescue from pounds?

Gumtree adds do not belong in the rescue section. If you feel like they should, maybe a poll in that section asking if it's appropriate to list them there is needed?

You'll actually find MOST rescue groups, even those you probably know, will have had dogs from classifieds. And those dogs would have been brought to their attention thanks to forums like this, or Facebook.

And I never once said Gumtree ads belong there. I said maybe that's a better place to a put a sub-forum.

Personally I don't get the whole up in arms over Gumtree. (As in why such focus on GT as opposed to other sites etc).

The site is no different to someone placing a classified in the Telegraph; Gumtree is simply one classified site of many on the Internet. Sometimes the GT threads do pile up but there doesn't seem to be matching concern over the animals listed in the newspapers?

If people don't know alternative sources for buying a pet, of course they're going to turn to something easy to google. It'd be a similar thing if amazon.com started selling pets. People know about Amazon and it's an easy site to use and navigate.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

If people don't know alternative sources for buying a pet, of course they're going to turn to something easy to google. It'd be a similar thing if amazon.com started selling pets. People know about Amazon and it's an easy site to use and navigate.

And that's it. Most people don't know an alternative way, so they Google. And then the top links are Gumtree.

Which lead to backyard breeders, mostly.

That's why people are up in arms about Gumtree. Because it's the first point of call for any average pet owner to turn to. Instead, shouldn't they just be listing registered breeders? Or Rescues? Or, instead, no animals at all?

That's a bit restrictive don't you think? I've heard from members here that registered breeders also advertise on GT because they know that it's a popular search engine for the purchase of pets.

That'd be like the Telegraph saying "sorry, we can't advertise car sales because of all the dodgy cars being advertised."

Perhaps instead of venting on here, email the sellers and give them some options; sometimes what's blatantly obvious to others, isn't so obvious to the sellers.

I'm of the opinion that posted in the right place, those ads can be a good thing.

For example, I rarely look at Gumtree (because it irritates the hell out of me) so I would likely not see greyhounds being listed. Potentially, one of those dogs could be one I have adopted out. So far as I know, every dog I have rehomed is still with the family who adopted it but.. sooner or later, the law of averages suggests one will fall through the cracks and if that happened, I'd want a chance at getting the dog back.

That reason aside, we've also contacted trainers before who've advertised on Gumtree and let them know about us. In every case, they either weren't aware of us or didn't think to contact us because they didn't think they could afford a surrender fee (which we don't actually charge). Because of someone checking, we've saved three dogs- and likely many more to follow from trainers who'll now know they have other options than PTS when they can't find the dog a home themselves.

I agree that the random "Look at this person who breeds chipugorky-shitpoos omg how horrible" is annoying and serves no point but not every thread is like that.

Me too! No worries. I'm cutting my DOL supply off as of now... Unless the foster pups decide they need to wee RIGHT NOW in an hour or so...

Edit: on the mobile so can't quote. :/

Edited by Plan B

Maybe they don't need to go anywhere. I think we can all find Gumtree if we choose to look.

And maybe this forum has evolved beyond just purebreed discussion? As in, the Rescue sub-forum.

And maybe people in Rescue are already so time-consumed they don't have a chance to look through ALL the Gumtree ads to find the ones who might actually be in danger.

I don't think it's unfair, for a Purebreed Forum that provides a Rescue sub-forum, to consider the fact that there are others who can bring attention to some dogs in urgent need.

And who will decide what dogs on Gumtree are in 'urgent need'?

How about someone suggest it to Troy instead of arguing about it here. It won't happen unless he says so.

Thats what the Rescue sub forum is for! Or the breed sub forums. If people are posting because they genuinely want to help a particular dog be rescued I'm sure they would be welcome to post there. I would hate to see esp the Rescue forum clogged up with vents though so I would expect people to think carefully about their motivation before posting in there. And, thinking out loud, if you don't feel comfortable posting your concern about an online ad or petshop in Rescue or Breed sub forum maybe those are the threads you don't need to post at all...?

No, it's not what the Rescue sub forum is for. Because links to Gumtree ads are NOT allowed. And dogs on Gumtree are generally not classed as 'rescue.'

As someone who runs a Rescue Group, I'd hate to see the MAIN rescue forum clogged up with Gumtree Ads. That's NOT where they need to go. They need to go somewhere else, in a sub-forum of that. Because, as strange as it may sound, even those who Rescue don't always want to know about Gumtree Ads.

Maybe they don't need to go anywhere. I think we can all find Gumtree if we choose to look.

we do not need another subforum for Gumtree ads :eek:

Well isn't a forum made up of the people on it and the people on it often have things going on in their life that is dog related. If this forum stuck to one subject of purebred dogs and nothing else it would be quite boring. The people on here make it eclectic and colourful and yes some things are repetitive, some things are annoying, some things are hilarious, some things are very informative and others are just space fillers. A forum is a community of sorts and I guess everyone is different int he community and wants to talk about their own thing. Forums and online in general can also provide a great venting ground.

No it wouldn't be boring, it would be much more like the earlier days of the forum, where the discussion was more often than not about ANKC recognised breeds and there was plenty of talk and advice about whelping, raising pups, showing and the like. There was a lot of excellent advice from breeders and exhibitors who had been around forever and knew what they were talking about.

Now it's nothing but gumtree ads, guess the breed, over run by offtopic and "rescue"

We most certainly do not need another forum for Gumtree ads.

Even if there was one, and I cant see that happening, members who have been here for any length of time probably wouldnt even bother looking at it. They're quite capable of searching ads themselves if they want to.

There's nothing stopping people who are up in arms about GT ads starting up their own forum.

I think the initial gripe here was the fact that a good number of the Gumtree and pet shop threads appear to be more acts of hand wringing and general decrying of how unprincipled the advertiser is for offering their dog up for sale there, than actual calls to help the dog in question.

Those type of threads really don't bring much to the table in the general course of things... and tend to make the people who participate in them look like they are trying to score some sort of brownie points for showing how outraged they are.

Without actual figures, I'm going to make an assumption that not many of the animals referred to in those threads get safely rehomed via this forum or it's members.

Like I said before - if one isn't actually going to get physically involved in "saving" the animal in question, then please slow down on the number of these threads you post.

If you see something illegal posted on Gumtree, please contact the relevant authority about the ad - ie. unchipped pups for sale, get hold of the council or DLG via email or phone to report it...

T.