Enough Gumtree Ads Perhaps?

Salukifan

My take on the whole gumtree thing is that if you are so concerned about it, get up off the computer and do something about it... hand wringing and trying to score brownie points here about how much you care about dogs by decrying the advertising of animals on a trading post type of website wears thin after a while...

We all know about Gumtree...

T.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EXACTLY!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

meh... if a ftgh gets a real home as a result of being posted on here then I think that is a good thing. Maybe posts should go in Rescue, just a thought. It is, however, my choice to read the topic, I don't have to.... :shrug:

If DOL members are looking for a dog, they're not going to find one from gumtree, via the forum.

I don't think any rescue is so under-capacity that they're going to fill up holes through FTGH ads they're alerted to via the forum! As tdierikx said, we all know that gumtree exists..

Agree, I do breed rescue and we have an email alert set up on gumtree for NSW/ACT so if dogs are advertised we can go and have a look.

If it's clearly under control - owner is selling a desexed dog, the ad provides breed information, and a price is being charged, then my view is to stay out of it. If the ad looks dangerous for whatever reason - entire dogs, free, looks like they won't screen well - then the best way to deal with it is to set up an arrangement to secure the dog privately.

That said, I do really appreciate people giving us a heads up. Recently in my breed someone let us know about a adolescent pure bred pup that had been surrendered to a vet. Because they did that I could shoot a note out to the breed list asking if anyone bred it, the breeder identified the pup as one of hers and took it from there with the vet. If the breeder hadn't been keen to get involved, we had some pre-screened homes we could have referred on to the vet. The key tho' is that it's done privately, it's targeted to people who can help, and it's practical, not "oh woe, people are so dumb!"

meh... if a ftgh gets a real home as a result of being posted on here then I think that is a good thing. Maybe posts should go in Rescue, just a thought. It is, however, my choice to read the topic, I don't have to.... :shrug:

This is a forum with the primary purpose of the promotion and discussion of responsibly bred purebred dogs. How does pointing to Gumtree ads and petshop dogs help with that?

And of course rescue needs people pointing out more dogs for them to save. No pressure there.

Posting here may make the posters feel better but it's not having the same effect on me. I get enough of these kinds of ads on the bulletin board at work. :(

They may get a real home from being posted on gumtree, DOL'ers aren't the only "real" homes for dogs.

Yes minimax, dogs get real homes from places other than here. I guess I am thinking more exposure, that's all. There are a lot of anonymous or guest users that get on here too.

Haredown I was perhaps suggesting a more appropriate place to post the FTGH, so that people who are not comfortable about it don't have to look at it. Certainly was not trying to put pressure on anyone. Again, thinking anonymous or guest users.

I don't think there was anything wrong with starting your dingo thread, mixeduppup. You weren't crying over the injustice of a FTGH dog or x cross breed being sold, you were asking a legitimate question. It's a general dog discussion thread in which you asked if native dingoes could be sold legally.

It does pose an interesting question as most native animals require a licence to own and I'm surprised that dingoes are okay as pets in NSW and WA.

That's good then, Yes it's a surprise to me as the only native mammals I know allowed legally are Spinifex Hopping Mice and they're with a license...

Any way. I've only seen one gumtree thing here about a pug I think, the other two or three were in the Rescue section.

I agree that DOL isn't the best place to post them - it IS preaching to the choir.

However, I think most posting them are well-intentioned and hoping someone on here, with their wealth of experience and networking, might be able to help. Even reputable breeders rescue crossbreeds sometimes.

Everyone knows about Gumtree but not everyone checks Gumtree all the time.

From a personal experience, my attention was brought to a little Pug girl (from a member here), six months, undesexed, free to good home on Gumtree. I contacted them, had lengthy chats, met with the owner and she herself said (after I'd explained how to suss out the suspicious replies) how many people had contacted her with, what she now knew, probable backyard breeding intentions.

That girl, now called Sushi, joined my pack, desexed, and most likely saved from a bad life.

I understand how annoying it is to keep seeing them, and that it's against the forum rules, but is it really harming you? If some dogs are saved from a horrible life because of posting those ads here, is it really such a bad thing? Could you choose to just not read them?

Edited by Plan B

I started this thread to find out what DOLer thought of responsible ANKC breeders selling puppies on the classifieds and as best I can tell is yes it's ok - it's a good thing to offer a better choice to people who look there for puppies or dogs.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/234729-ok-to-advertise-puppies-in-the-classifieds/

I still find that most people who are not dog obsessed like most of us - have no idea about puppy mills, or buying from pet shops or dodgy breeders or even how to spot a dodgy breeder - that guy who was on SBS with 300+ breeding mums, recently - has such a nice clean set up, they can't see why some of us don't think it's ok.

I understand how annoying it is to keep seeing them, and that it's against the forum rules, but is it really harming you? If some dogs are saved from a horrible life because of posting those ads here, is it really such a bad thing? Could you choose to just not read them?

Actually I don't think it is against forum rules to talk about them.. just to link to them.

It may not be harming me but IMO it's not doing the forum a lot of good to have thread after thread generating folk doing not much more than waving their hands in horror at ads or descriptions of petshop pups. How is that contributing to knowledge or discussion of purebred dogs.?? :confused:

If you want to know if something is legal, just ask. No need to bring Gumtree or Facebook or pet shops into it from where I sit.

No doubt plenty of folk think I'm whining (hell I know I am) but this is meant to be a place IMO that contributes to knowledge and discussion of purebred dogs, not one that continually highlights poor breeding, buying and selling practices. We all know they exist.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

In principle I agree, Plan B - but I agree with HW. In practice, it doesn't really happen like that, and the threads are basically people complaining about BYBs, undesexed dogs and irresponsible owners. It's the same thing everyone has heard before - yes, too many BYBs, if only people didn't BYB, if only people thought these things throguh, if only people were more responsible pet owners. Etc.

I get annoyed when long-time posters get antsy about new posters starting discussions that have been had on DOL before, because things can be talked about more than once, and we can all share and learn etc. But threads like this don't really contribute anything except some shared sense of indignation and clogging up an active forum.

If you see an ad that you're concerned about, contact the breed rescue. Contact someone on here who may be able to help - post in the breed thread or PM someone. Be proactive about it.

If it's really necessary, maybe we should have ONE thread somewhere, where people can post if they're concerned. And while we're at it , ONE thread where people can b*tch about people they see at the park/in daily life with untrained dogs that offend their sensibilities, so we don't have thousands of threads about them! On another forum I'm on, there is a 'vent' thread and a 'feel good' thread, which eliminates this kind of duplication.

Actually I don't think it is against forum rules to talk about them.. just to link to them.

It may not be harming me but IMO it's not doing the forum a lot of good to have thread after thread generating folk doing not much more than waving their hands in horror at ads or descriptions of petshop pups. How is that contributing to knowledge or discussion of purebred dogs.?? :confused:

If you want to know if something is legal, just ask. No need to bring Gumtree or Facebook or pet shops into it from where I sit.

No doubt plenty of folk think I'm whining (hell I know I am) but this is meant to be a place IMO that contributes to knowledge and discussion of purebred dogs, not one that continually highlights poor breeding, buying and selling practices. We all know they exist.

That's what I meant, linking.

And honestly, if you look through most threads on the forum, it's all about people waving their hands in horror about various things. Whether it's a thread about a dog in a park that was aggressive or a neighbour who has yappy dogs or someone who has done someone wrong. DOL is made up of people complaining about something (not meant in an offensive way, I'm here too) so not sure how the ads make DOL worse?

Saying that, absolutely agree with your last paragraph. That's exactly what this forum is for. And if Gumtree Ads should go anywhere at all, it should be in the Rescue section or via PMs.

Edited by Plan B

And honestly, if you look through most threads on the forum, it's all about people waving their hands in horror about various things. Whether it's a thread about a dog in a park that was aggressive or a neighbour who has yappy dogs or someone who has done someone wrong. DOL is made up of people complaining about something (not meant in an offensive way, I'm here too) so not sure how the ads make DOL worse?

Saying that, absolutely agree with your last paragraph. That's exactly what this forum is for. And if Gumtree Ads should go anywhere at all, it should be in the Rescue section or via PMs.

Drives me nuts. My guess is most of those complaining never take it further than typing it here.

Edited by Haredown Whippets