Luka

Frodo's mum

Very cute, does he have a Blue nose?

no he has a black nose smile.gif

Sorry, but a black nose means he is not a Blue Harli.

A true dilute will have diluted nose, nail, gums and eye rims.

no worries I love him no matter what colour he is smile.gif

I get frustrated when "breeders" sell puppies as a certain colour when they are not, and often it comes with an increased price tag.

I don't want the thread turned into a thing about breeders etc but I will say Luka did not come with an increased price he was brought on limited as I only want a pet.

I can edit my post and put him as a harli to save any confusion. If i have any questions I'll pop into the great dane thread, this was more just to show some photos of my puppy smile.gif

Edited by Frodo's mum

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cute, does he have a Blue nose?

no he has a black nose smile.gif

Sorry, but a black nose means he is not a Blue Harli.

A true dilute will have diluted nose, nail, gums and eye rims.

no worries I love him no matter what colour he is smile.gif

I get frustrated when "breeders" sell puppies as a certain colour when they are not, and often it comes with an increased price tag.

I don't want the thread turned into a thing about breeders etc but I will say Luka did not come with an increased price he was brought on limited as I only want a pet.

I can edit my post and put him as a harli to save any confusion. If i have any questions I'll pop into the great dane thread, this was more just to show some photos of my puppy smile.gif

It's about education, as some will see the cute pictures and say I want one that colour, when in fact he is not the colour he was sold to you as.

Many will read this and now have a better idea on what is a correct colour, so hopefully they do not get ripped off as many have in the past.

And you are right, whatever colour he is you will love him anyway and that is the way it should be.

well I will add that I don't feel ripped off at all

now back to posting photos of my harli pup

well tomorrow as I didn't take any today laugh.gif

Well your slipping, Id like to see at least a photo a day in here! :laugh: Snap to it!!!

Just reading back over the last few posts about colour, Im a bit confused about the colour thing, I have seen photos of my friends pup and he definatley has big black patches with a bit of merle added. To me Frodos mums Lukas patches don't look black, they look like a blue colour, so if he isn't blue Harli then what would he be classed as colour wise?

I don't want to take this thread off topic as I enjoying the photos of this lovely boy, but just curious about the colour bit? Is there another name for blue colouring? Its very confusing?

Luka would be classed as a Harlequin as the blue patches are not a true blue colour either.

Diet can effect coat colour, as can grooming in the case of Luka the nose colour is the dead give away.

Harls have some merle patches - genetically they have to.

The standard says all black or all blue patches.

Black Harl has black patches (small merle patches) plus BLACK nose/nails/gums/eye rims.

Blue Harl has blue patches (small merle patches) plus BLUE nose/nail/gums/eye rims.

As blue is a diluted colour you can not have blue patches with black.

Luka would be classed as a Harlequin as the blue patches are not a true blue colour either.

Diet can effect coat colour, as can grooming in the case of Luka the nose colour is the dead give away.

So Luka is Harlequin. but not true blue? but not black? So what colour is he then? Sorry not trying to be difficult just trying to understand the logistics? Its very confusing, I tried to understand colour genetics with cockers once and I gave up on that pretty quickly! :laugh:

Is there a way to explain how diet affects coat colour? Does this happen with all breeds or just danes? Can black become blue? or Visa versa?

With Lukas nose colour because it is black does that mean his patches should be black too? Once again not trying to be difficult just trying to understand.

FM, so sorry for all the off topic conversation but its very curious to me, colour genetics have always interested me but I find it really difficult to understand.

So Luka is Harlequin. but not true blue? but not black? So what colour is he then? Sorry not trying to be difficult just trying to understand the logistics?

At guess I would say has more merle then black or blue.

The reason I say this is his patches are neither black not blue if that makes sense, but the nose is black and that is the tell tale sign.

Is there a way to explain how diet affects coat colour? Does this happen with all breeds or just danes? Can black become blue? or Visa versa?

Livermol or show stopper will darken a coat colour, this can happen in all breeds.

Bitches in season can change a bitches coat shade, as can winter verses summer etc.

A good diet often brings out a better coat, a bit like human shampoo.

You can not change a black coat to a blue of visa versa.

If a black gets a sunburnt coat it turns orange and dead hair turns black.

With Lukas nose colour because it is black does that mean his patches should be black too?

Yes, a merle also has a black nose.