Camera Resale Value

experiencedfun

I have a Nikon D50 with two lenses and I would like to trade up to a 5100 or a 3200 (because the 7100 is out of my price range).

I wondered if it is possible to get enough for the old DSLR to make it worth selling. Its about 5 years old and I have taken alot of great shots with it but would like to take better.

It would be a good camera for someone just starting out. The best feature for me with DSLR is how quickly it takes photos.

So should I sell or not?

I have a Nikon D50 with two lenses and I would like to trade up to a 5100 or a 3200 (because the 7100 is out of my price range).

I wondered if it is possible to get enough for the old DSLR to make it worth selling. Its about 5 years old and I have taken alot of great shots with it but would like to take better.

It would be a good camera for someone just starting out. The best feature for me with DSLR is how quickly it takes photos.

So should I sell or not?

Yes, sell it privately, either on Ebay or on here. I'll buy it. :laugh:

Sounds like you have looked after it, get an idea by having a look on ebay and seeing how much they go for on there. I recently sold just over $3000 worth of camera stuff for $1200 Camera and 3 lenses, flash and two batteries and a bag. So it was a bargain as one of the lenses was $900 on its own and had only been used a few times. Just to give you an idea.

I wondered if it is possible to get enough for the old DSLR to make it worth selling. ....

They were a great entry-level camera - and mostly used with cheap kit-type lenses of the day - so the slow focusing was more down to the lens than the body.

Circular problem - if you spend on a good fast lens, might as well have a more current body with more bells/whistles to put it onto.

But I won't sell my 'old' D50, it's worth more to me than the $2-3-400 I would get for it, and it doesn't take up much space. You'll notice not that many come up for sale, they have a very strong body build, can take knocks that some newer builds cannot cope with. So people do tend to hang on to that model rather than sell it. There are generally a lot more of the D70 and D80 offered: they cost more when new, yet now sell for less than the D50.

I know - not helping.

(Edit to fix punctuation, still stuffed it).

Edited by PossumCorner

If you just want to take better pictures, buy a better lens.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">The worlds most expensive camera with the worlds crappiest lens will take crappy pics.

..a lot of truth in that , too !

Are you sticking with Nikon? Or thinking of a change? Do you have a lot invested in lenses already? It might be worth more to you to keep it. I wanted to keep my Nikon but knew once I got my 7D I wouldn't use it so it had to go! I'm such a camera horder! :laugh:

If you just want to take better pictures, buy a better lens.

The worlds most expensive camera with the worlds crappiest lens will take crappy pics.

That's a bit of a generalising comment, and would be an unusual combination (Hasselblad have never had a poor quality lens). I don't agree, not in the context of EF's post which is about a D50 and Nikon lenses. None of which is crap. They simply have limitations which can be worked around.

An up-market lens won't compensate for an older technology body: and the potential of a new high-features body would still be limited using cheaper lenses.

As EF has said, the D50 isn't capable of 5 or 7 frames per second. Which means for flyball or agility dogs you have to nail the moment instead of relying on multi shots (which can still lose the moment).

And it definitely has the older sensor which means some noise/grain at high ISO - something else that a new classy lens is not going to change.

If the only lenses used on the D50 are the kit lenses they will be slower focussing, and a body upgrade would need a lens upgrade also to make the change worthwhile.

SF if frames per second is an important requirement for you, do have a look at the Sony A55 - they blitz most cameras in the same general price range for fps. And they also take the beautiful older Minolta lenses which can be picked up second hand in good nick for a fraction of new Nikon/Canon of the same quality. I'm still a Nikon user for preference, but we get a lot of use out of the Sony and love it for some of its clever features.

Edited by PossumCorner