Walking Harness For A Whippet.

Stormy

I'm looking for a harness for one of my whippets who currently has a neck injury. Due to his build I was hoping that someone here can recommend one that works well with the sight hound shape (deep chest & narrow head) as I don't want him to be able to slip out of it.

He does have a wide leather martingale but I don't want to use that whilst he's in recovery and the vet has recommended light walking to prevent the muscles seizing (I'm also using heat packs and light massage on top of his meds to try and help).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited to add I have Googled and have found a few that look ok (Ezydog, Puppia, Ruffwear & Cleanrun), but was hoping someone here has first hand experience with any of them (or others) on a whippet.

Edited by Stormy

I use Puppia harness on my Whippets, they have them as car harnesses in the the car, not for walking. The one that my bitch wears fits really really well. I was suprised considering their shape. HAving said that she is not walked in it and doesn't try to pull backwards out of anything.

The one on my male doesn't fit as easily but I think that is because he does have a rather deep chest for the breed. It still fits well, but it would fit better if the bit that went between his front legs was a little longer. If I got the next size up the neck bit would be too big. I think if he wanted to he could pull backwards out of his, but once again they are not walked in them and he doesn't pull backwards.

Have you seen the Ruff wear packs and harnesses? you wouldn't want the packs of course but their harnesses go further back and I think would eliminate the potential issues with being able to back out fo them.

I have two different ones for my whippets - happy with both.

Walkeez from Clean run (when they had free shipping of course) which fit OK. Their everyday ones are Weathabeata which came from the Horseland sales, are very soft & also fit reasonably. Easy to get in & out of too.

http://www.cleanrun....product_id=1699

http://www.horseland...ness-black.html

Moved to a harness for walking as well as in car ages ago, after Twig caught me unawares & managed to slip her martingale collar by jumping madly up & down when she saw a little friend across the road before I did. Just missed being squashed under a Landcruiser. She wasn't fussed or more than bruised, but I think the shock shortened my life.

Thanks OSoSwift. I did look at the Ruff Wear ones, though their padding is on the back (I assume to help protect them from packs etc) rather than having padding on the chest / shoulders.

On looks alone the Puppia ones looks more comfortable but would like to find one that is both comfortable (as they don't have much of their own padding / body fat) and secure.

I know the best thing to do would be to take him out to try them on but not in the state he's currently in.

I'm torn between walking him as the vet suggests or letting him rest as he's still in pain (had to go get more painkillers :( ) I just want to do whatever will make him get better as fast as possible.

Thanks Meggie. The Weatherbeeta ones look good too (similar to the Puppia ones). The Cleanrun ones look really confortable but with the deeper V at the neck was worried that it might make it easier for him to back out of (mind you he never has but I suppose that doesn't mean he never will).

By the looks of it odds are that I'm going to end up with more than one!

Thanks Huski (sorry missed your post initially). Ruff Wear do get good reviews - I thought they were more for working / sporty dogs (rescue / hiking) - glad to know they are suitable for whippets too :)

OSoSwift - I could add padding - the way I sew it just woudln't be pretty :p but may be my best bet.

His martingale has given me a sense of security over the years that I've grown used to.

Thanks CrazyCresties I'll certainly look at those too. :)

Juice - Good thinking :) Though at the moment I'm loathe to put anything around his neck, but once he's better it would certainly give me that added security.

Thanks Austerra & Kirislin and everyone else for your input, it's greatly appreciated. :)

I've picked up a Weatherbeeta harness today (it looks as comfortable as the Puppia but made from neoprene). I'll see how we go with it but haven't ruled out the Ruff Wear Web Master if needed.