Meeting A Breeder - Are There Certain Customs Involved?

Ruin Maniac

Yep, take the 'boston bun' etc for morning tea if you take anything, but it is not expected.

Totally agree that it is very good to go before the pups are born to meet the adult dogs. ALL pups are sucker bait so what you want to see is the adults as that is what you are going to have to live with.

They will want to see how you interact with the dogs and if you can cope with them. Just be yourself.

It is also a chance for you to see if you have a rapport with the breeder and if you think you can become 'friends'. Having a breeder you can talk to and who can mentor you is invaluable.

Don't overstay your welcome if you can. Remember that breeders have busy lives and likely more than one person visiting them (though play it by ear - going when there are no puppies may or may not mean the pressure is not as great in this respect).

When I went to meet Maya, I had my bag half crammed full of toys for her and her litter... had such a blast meeting her breeder, having a good dog chat then of course meeting the litter and the adults, I forgot completely about them. On the train out to my night's accommodation, I opened my bag and stared blankly down at all these dog toys spilling out of it :laugh:

When we went to meet our schnauzers breeders I ended up on the floor with one of the older ones sittiing on my knee - they had no puppies then but went to meet the breeders and the adults to make sure it was what we wanted. The fact that the boy was soooo relaxed around me apparently sold us to the breeders as Schnauzers are quite aloof. :D

When people come to meet our beagle babies we are quite happy for them to have cuddles and smooch as much as they want. Depending on how long the drive has taken to come to us we offer them a tea or coffee and just sit and chat - hopefully making it easy! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everybody for your advice :)

I met the breeders today, and had a fantastic time. They asked me questions, and I asked them some too. Then we got a little carried away and ended up talking for several hours, even walked out to the car together and kept chatting away :laugh:

But they are lovely people, as are their dogs, who I was introduced to (and who demanded cuddles and affection, in quite a lovely way). We're planning to keep in touch, and see how things go. So all turned out very well indeed.

:laugh:

I honestly think I'd never leave the property again if that was the case. One pregnant bitch insisted that she had to be either underneath my arm or pressed up against me (she was so sweet and affectionate, very quiet but very cuddly), and another continued to exploit my (unashamedly obvious) love of them as I went to go to the car and stood there blocking my way for more pats before she permitted my departure.

I had read all about how people-friendly samoyeds are, but even then I was surprised! Beautiful dogs. And the breeders let me watch them help shed the undercoat of one dog (as it had began to drop), as well as spoke to me about their health tests and diet, cleaning the coat and tear stains, training techniques, preparing the house for one to come home, recommended a vet not too far from where I am because he's experienced with the breed... it was such an education. I think otherwise we just spoke about animals, the countryside and a few entertaining stories about the show ring and about their dogs in general. It was great :)

Edited by Ruin Maniac

Take a camera so you can get pics of the parents. They're just people everyone is different, hopefully you will click with them. Just be polite but be yourself. Have a good time.

edit

I see it's already happened, I should've read the whole thread. Glad it's gone well. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kirislin

Guest donatella

:laugh:

I honestly think I'd never leave the property again if that was the case. One pregnant bitch insisted that she had to be either underneath my arm or pressed up against me (she was so sweet and affectionate, very quiet but very cuddly), and another continued to exploit my (unashamedly obvious) love of them as I went to go to the car and stood there blocking my way for more pats before she permitted my departure.

I had read all about how people-friendly samoyeds are, but even then I was surprised! Beautiful dogs. And the breeders let me watch them help shed the undercoat of one dog (as it had began to drop), as well as spoke to me about their health tests and diet, cleaning the coat and tear stains, training techniques, preparing the house for one to come home, recommended a vet not too far from where I am because he's experienced with the breed... it was such an education. I think otherwise we just spoke about animals, the countryside and a few entertaining stories about the show ring and about their dogs in general. It was great :)

So you've seen how beautiful the adults are, what until you see the pupppppppppiieeeeeeeeees.

White balls of absolute gorgeousness! Damn I want a Sammy now too hehe

Generally I just turn up gush over the dogs :o

Sounds goods to me.

Go along and meet the Adults.All puppies are cute so you need to be sure you like the adults of the breed .Just relax be yourself and ask whatever questions come to mind.

Good thinking.

Gush over the dogs.

Don't wear clothes you don't want dog hair on.

Gush over the dogs. :)

:laugh: :laugh:

Just wanted to thank everybody for your advice :)

I met the breeders today, and had a fantastic time. They asked me questions, and I asked them some too. Then we got a little carried away and ended up talking for several hours, even walked out to the car together and kept chatting away :laugh:

But they are lovely people, as are their dogs, who I was introduced to (and who demanded cuddles and affection, in quite a lovely way). We're planning to keep in touch, and see how things go. So all turned out very well indeed.

So happy for you RM.

Something tells me you are just a wee bit excited :D :D

It was such a lovely experience. I am admittedly excited (and would be regardless of the turn-out, approval wise, considering how amazing the people and their pets are), though I have to keep my head on I suppose.

Even if they do think there's a suitable pup in the upcoming litter, which is entirely a matter of their professional opinion, I know there's so much more to learn and I mustn't get too excited when I next see them. They'll be providing me with heaps of important information (they do up a booklet and such, and will show me some more tricks firsthand).

It's going to be... difficult. But important, so I'll just have to act professionally (even if my childlike side wants to roll around on the floor in glee :o )

That is, if it's this time around. And it might not be. We shall see :)

When Boston was a week old and I met his breeder in person for the first time, after talking to her on the phone and email for over a year, I sat cuddling the babies and playing with the adult pugs and almost forgot about her :rofl:

Really? I wouldn't be letting any potential puppy buyers near my pups before 7 weeks. Week old puppies are just too vunerable to disease etc.