A Wee Problem

Please look into this further. I know a dog that started having similar incontinence issues at about 14 months of age. She was thoroughly checked for urinary and bladder infections and was found to be free of them. The problem continued and her owners insisted on further testing - she was found to have a tumor in her urethra. Unfortunately she also had developed secondary tumours by then and was euthanased shortly after. Incredibly rare, but sometimes things are not picked up with first vet checks and further testing is required. In this case she was given an ultrasound that also showed nothing but it just happened the way they held her to do the ultrasound the vet nurse felt something that didn't feel normal to her.

It is highly unlikely that your girl has the same issue and I am not suggesting that she does - just pointing out that sometimes things are not so obvious and should not be dismissed. It certainly sounds like spay incontinence to me. Dogs are naturally clean animals and do not like to soil where they sleep so it is highly unlikely that she is being lazy about it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please look into this further. I know a dog that started having similar incontinence issues at about 14 months of age. She was thoroughly checked for urinary and bladder infections and was found to be free of them. The problem continued and her owners insisted on further testing - she was found to have a tumor in her urethra. Unfortunately she also had developed secondary tumours by then and was euthanased shortly after. Incredibly rare, but sometimes things are not picked up with first vet checks and further testing is required. In this case she was given an ultrasound that also showed nothing but it just happened the way they held her to do the ultrasound the vet nurse felt something that didn't feel normal to her.

It is highly unlikely that your girl has the same issue and I am not suggesting that she does - just pointing out that sometimes things are not so obvious and should not be dismissed. It certainly sounds like spay incontinence to me. Dogs are naturally clean animals and do not like to soil where they sleep so it is highly unlikely that she is being lazy about it.

yes for sure booking into vet now . Thanks again for all the swift replies

I would ask for an x ray to see if the bitch has bladder stones or anything nasty. She is beautiful - hope the vet resolves her problems.

Thanks, yes i will ask for an x ray too.

Hoping very much that the vet can find a solution

Guest Labradork

Awww, she's lovely... Good on you for coming on here and asking about her, and braving the barrage of shit :laugh:

There are tons of people on here who can talk to you about correction versus punishment :)

Heheh probably wouldn't of received any shit if I took the time to thoroughly explain the situation and remembered the important bits :o

These things happen when you're at the end of your tether... Your girl is lucky to have such a committed owner :)

My old girl was on Propalin, when she was having some complications with some surgery and was on a myriad of drugs we had to take her off that for a little while to make sure it wasn't contributing to any of the problems and she didn't have any accidents during the time she was taken off it, but from what I discussed with my vet that can just happen - they go for some time with no accidents and then suddenly it all starts again.

Looks like you're on the right track to finding out what's going on!

Awww, she's lovely... Good on you for coming on here and asking about her, and braving the barrage of shit :laugh:

There are tons of people on here who can talk to you about correction versus punishment :)

Heheh probably wouldn't of received any shit if I took the time to thoroughly explain the situation and remembered the important bits :o

These things happen when you're at the end of your tether... Your girl is lucky to have such a committed owner :)

Thanks ...just wish I had asked some questions on the forum earlier ....writing and forums make me nervous , silly I know but I'm not the best at writing it takes all my concentration and all of have us have an ego

and don't like looking silly, which is even sillier! but men can be stupid!

Seriously you wouldn't believe how long it takes me to compose a message that sounds literate. :laugh:

My girlfriend is always shocked :eek: to find out an hour later that I'm still composing the same message! even now shes laughing at me for taking so long.

Oh yeah my bitch is named Freya but mostly we call her Wee Wee... her wee problem has become her nick name ,she even recalls to the name Wee Wee :D

And my dog is named Bearu.

Just to clear things up ...seriously though I could barely bring my self to correct her for her weeing. It took me months to do it and not before I had exhausted all other options that I could think of ( my

mistake there, I know better now and will not be afraid to look silly and ask questions ) and I was not consistent nor hard or loud about it ( the only inconsistency in her training

thank god)...deep down I knew that something wasn't right and that corrections were not helping , that's why I'm here i guess.

Yeah so enough about my life story....hope my honesty comes through :o

Edited by mallakoff

My old girl was on Propalin, when she was having some complications with some surgery and was on a myriad of drugs we had to take her off that for a little while to make sure it wasn't contributing to any of the problems and she didn't have any accidents during the time she was taken off it, but from what I discussed with my vet that can just happen - they go for some time with no accidents and then suddenly it all starts again.

Looks like you're on the right track to finding out what's going on!

Yes i hope so... it's been very confusing and these are the first dogs I've owned so all the more troubling for someone with no experience...

Guest Labradork
hope my honesty comes through :o

Yes it does... Don't be too hard on yourself - I'm sure it will all work out :)

ETA:

I just saw your reply to Pretty Miss Emma (above)...

Well, gee if they're your first dogs then you are definitely being too hard on yourself.

Edited by Labradork

.. she then went on another drug Propalin which helps

tone the muscle around the bladder. I gave her this drug for 2 weeks slowly reducing the dose to 1/8th of what the vet recommended and was having good results so good i decided to stop giving her the drug completely to see what would

happen .The result was that she didn't start wetting the bed again but had stopped wetting her bed day and night even without the administering the drug.

I asked the vet how long Propalin stayed in the system he said only for a very short time that's why regular doses are needed and the tiny dose that i was giving 1/8 of recommended her was unheard of to be effective.

vet was baffled how my dog had gone from wetting herself alot to not at all and being completely off the drug.

I had many clients that used Proalin or stilbestrol intermittently. When put on either of these drug the muscle tone of the bladder sphincters increases so that the urine leakage stops. The "proper" use of the sphincter muscles probably actually strengthens the muscle, so after the drug has been used for a while, the muscles are strong enough to act normally should the drug be stopped, but gradually deteriorate again and the incontinence recurs.

Propalin is considered the preferred drug because of the potential side effects of the stilboestrol. The side effect is rare, but nasty. So I would advise going back to use the propalin again.

Regards,

My dog with spey incontinence was eventually on two different drugs to keep it under control.

!. Sometimes one does it, sometimes the other, and sometimes both are needed.

2. They DO have a period of overhang and it can take varying times for it to return once meds are discontinued. Due to vet problems, I had her on a herbal treatment programme for 12 months quite successfully. Spey incontinence does not go away.

3. Urinary tract infections can be more frequent because of the incontinence and can contribute to a return so always need to be considered and urine samples checked if there are problems.

4. I have to agree - another vet sounds like a good idea.

.. she then went on another drug Propalin which helps

tone the muscle around the bladder. I gave her this drug for 2 weeks slowly reducing the dose to 1/8th of what the vet recommended and was having good results so good i decided to stop giving her the drug completely to see what would

happen .The result was that she didn't start wetting the bed again but had stopped wetting her bed day and night even without the administering the drug.

I asked the vet how long Propalin stayed in the system he said only for a very short time that's why regular doses are needed and the tiny dose that i was giving 1/8 of recommended her was unheard of to be effective.

vet was baffled how my dog had gone from wetting herself alot to not at all and being completely off the drug.

I had many clients that used Proalin or stilbestrol intermittently. When put on either of these drug the muscle tone of the bladder sphincters increases so that the urine leakage stops. The "proper" use of the sphincter muscles probably actually strengthens the muscle, so after the drug has been used for a while, the muscles are strong enough to act normally should the drug be stopped, but gradually deteriorate again and the incontinence recurs.

Propalin is considered the preferred drug because of the potential side effects of the stilboestrol. The side effect is rare, but nasty. So I would advise going back to use the propalin again.

Regards,

My dog with spey incontinence was eventually on two different drugs to keep it under control.

!. Sometimes one does it, sometimes the other, and sometimes both are needed.

2. They DO have a period of overhang and it can take varying times for it to return once meds are discontinued. Due to vet problems, I had her on a herbal treatment programme for 12 months quite successfully. Spey incontinence does not go away.

3. Urinary tract infections can be more frequent because of the incontinence and can contribute to a return so always need to be considered and urine samples checked if there are problems.

4. I have to agree - another vet sounds like a good idea.

Thanks guys for this information it's very helpful , will try different vet and see about the Propalin.

The intermittent nature of the problem was confusing...but your description of how Propalin effects muscle tone over time makes things more understandable.

thank you