Flight Aftercare For Pup

Llante

We are getting my pup flown in to Brisbane on Tuesday afternoon from Tasmania. There is a stopover in Sydney. I am concerned about the long flight, but I am hoping all goes well. Is there anything in particular I can do for her when she gets here? I thought the first thing was to let her eliminate outside and give her some fresh water. Should I bother bringing her food? Or avoid feeding after such an ordeal? The breeder says she will probably not feel up to eating and may loose a bit of weight after the flight.

Just want to do the bt possible for her when she gets off. Unfortunatley I am working the day she comes in, however, have taken 2 hours off to go pick her up and I am lucky enough to be able to bring her back to work with me. I don't want to leave her at home all alone without being able to keep an eye on her. I only have about an hour left at work anyway, and I will have to be there. If I could, I would forgo it all together but I'm trying to make do.

So any suggestions on what I should bring along to make her comfortable right after the flight and then for the hour and a half she'll be at work. I have an area I can put her crate and a bowl, and can even spread a bit of paper if she needs to go. I am assuming she might just want to sleep after the big ordeal, but I don't know.

Thanks in advance!

Take scissors or clippers to undo the crate, some of the staff are great and help you get the baby out and others are not so be prepared with something sharp to cut the plastic ties.

I wouldn't stress too much the baby will be fine. If you are taking her back to the office I highly recommend taking a towel and water to wash her with as she will probably have pooped in the crate and clean bedding and a plastic bag for the old stuff. My boy had made really stinky mess when I picked him up from NZ.

I would offer water once out of the crate but not too much.

once back at the office I would have a pen with toys or a big bone for her as she is not going to want to stay in the crate any longer.

I wouldn't worry about food until you get her home.

have fun with your new baby

Take scissors or clippers to undo the crate, some of the staff are great and help you get the baby out and others are not so be prepared with something sharp to cut the plastic ties.

I wouldn't stress too much the baby will be fine. If you are taking her back to the office I highly recommend taking a towel and water to wash her with as she will probably have pooped in the crate and clean bedding and a plastic bag for the old stuff. My boy had made really stinky mess when I picked him up from NZ.

once back at the office I would have a pen with toys or a big bone for her as she is not going to want to stay in the crate any longer.

Oh this is great advice thank you! I didn't think about mess, good idea. I'll see if I can get a baby gate to block off the side office as it won't fit a pen, but we will need to be in and out.

Sorry if this sounds daft, but what sized bone do I grab? I have no idea how big she is or what is suitable for her size. I think she'll be 11 weeks when we get her and she's a beagle. Also, smoked bone from pet store or fresh bone from butcher or rawhide bone?

Edited by Llante

Oh this is great advice thank you! I didn't think about mess, good idea. I'll see if I can get a baby gate to block off the side office as it won't fit a pen, but we will need to be in and out.

Sorry if this sounds daft, but what sized bone do I grab? I have no idea how big she is or what is suitable for her size. I think she'll be 11 weeks when we get her and she's a beagle. Also, smoked bone from pet store or fresh bone from butcher or rawhide bone?

Fresh bone! forget any other type of bones exist.

Personally I give my guys lamb shanks, often trimming a lot of the meat off. Sometimes I leave the meat on if I reallllly want to keep them amused!

Edited by minimax

Just get her a toy a soft toy without a squeaker if that's inappropriate for work, it's only for an hour.

IMO - don't feed her a smoked bone from a pet shop EVER, they're cooked and cooked bones aren't good for dogs.

Have fun!

Edited by Sandra777

I would take a nice piece of lamp flap bone with most of the meat removed for her but a pigs ear would probably do just fine for a pup her size to keep her entertained.

I wouldn't think they will do anything for her in sydney on the layover as they are then liable if anything happens to the pup, so she will stay in her crate until you pick her up.

and dont forget a collar and lead

Ah thank you all for advice! I have a harness and leash on its way, would a collar be better?

I'll pick up a few things and let her decide what she wants to do. I didn't realize about the smoked bones! I just bought one for my GR a few days ago. He's not overly fussed on it though :confused:

Good suggestions on bones. It will be fine for her to have one as the floor is Lino and the cleaners come in Wednesday morning.

I'm excited and anxious at the same time. Pups fly fine all the time right? I've flown 3 cats to Adelaide and back before, but they were all old :rofl: Never flown a pup.

Odin was 9 weeks when he flew over from NZ and he had to fly to wellington and a 3 hour lay over before flying into Brisbane.

Miss Maude was 14 weeks when she flew up from Adelaide.

Both happy as larry when they arrived and busting for cuddles.

a harness should be fine as long as it is small enough that she cant wiggle out of it.

Ah thank you all for advice! I have a harness and leash on its way, would a collar be better?

I'll pick up a few things and let her decide what she wants to do. I didn't realize about the smoked bones! I just bought one for my GR a few days ago. He's not overly fussed on it though :confused:

Good suggestions on bones. It will be fine for her to have one as the floor is Lino and the cleaners come in Wednesday morning.

I'm excited and anxious at the same time. Pups fly fine all the time right? I've flown 3 cats to Adelaide and back before, but they were all old :rofl: Never flown a pup.

I keep all my pups on harnesses as they are pugs and collars aren't good for their breathing. As long as you get the right harness (the puppia ones/ones with wide chest areas can be detrimental to leash walking as they can become strong pullers). Try to go for function and not those wanky pretty ones, simple rope harnesses are fine.

My 8 week old flew up from Melbourne and she was fine. Pups fly all the time!

My daughter is getting a BC pup from Townsville on Monday, and she was just as concerned as you are Llante. I have had many pups over the years come by plane, they all seem to take it in their stride, mind you they are very happy to get out of the crate at the end of their journey though. Enjoy your new pup.

They shouldn't do anything with her in Sydney. The crate should remain closed with cable ties. She will be fine. Pups seem to cope well with flying though I know we stress until we hear all is well and they have arrived safely! How exciting for you :)

Ah so the mesh backed harness with the cute wings wouldn't be all that great? :rofl: looks similar to a rope one just has the mesh back.

Thanks for all the words of confidence. I am just hoping she comes up safe and sound!

put the bone and pup on some bedding, cleaners won't be expecting to have had a bone on the floor and might not clean properly. There is mopping the floor and mopping the floor. I have been a professional cleaner in the past.

Just thinking I might take an old baby bath or tub for a quick bath. Would the airport have a tap or something for that?

Also how careful do I have to be with her walking on the ground? She is getting her second vac on Saturday but I've heard until final vac you shouldn't let them roam on the ground where unvaccinated dogs might've eliminated.

How cautious do I need to be?? Is there even an alternative??

put the bone and pup on some bedding, cleaners won't be expecting to have had a bone on the floor and might not clean properly. There is mopping the floor and mopping the floor. I have been a professional cleaner in the past.

Good point! Maybe I'll do a wipe down of the area with disinfectant afterwards as well to be doubly sure. We are in health, but the area she'll be in doesn't need to be sterilised. I saw someone had disinfectant wipes, maybe I'll invest in those??

and remember to ask people to just leave her alone at work - after a long flight it would be hard to have lots of people flooding you!

Thankfully there will only be 2 of us working and my manager wants to come meet her. We may have a patient coming buy but that should be everyone.

Towel & bottle of water will be fine - please don't give a pup fresh off the plane a full bath :eek:

Assuming there's even any grass at the airport most areas very close to the freight terminal will have been used by other dogs whch have just come off planes. Most of these dogs will be healthy but unfortunately some bad rescues have been known to send sick dogs. Me, I would stick her in her crate in the car and take her to work -assuming that's less than 30-40 minutes drive. Let her pee in the carpark there, no need for her to go on the grass at all. Honestly I don't freak too much about pups going out in public before they're "fully vaccinated" but it's best to avoid areas where lots of dogs will have been - which includes the small grass areas at airports :)