People Can Be Amazing!

Freshstart16

Hi all, I just wanted to share my story about the other night. My partner and I were going out to get some dinner and spotted a golden retriever about to wander out onto a major road. We stopped picked her up and I went and did some door knocking looking for the owner, It was getting late so after a few door knocks, i had no luck so we decided to take her home for the night. We fed her, gave her a blanket to sleep on(our dog beds and kennel are too small as we have chi's.) She had the most beautiful temperament, so friendly and just so well behaved, knows how to sit,shake,lay down,didnt jump up and hardly barked. Needless to say within a few hours we were a bit smitten :laugh:

She had shire tags but the rangers were off duty until morning so had to leave a message and wait until the next day.We spent time outside with her, playing and patting her etc, it was very clear that her owners loved her and spent time with her, she was very healthy,good weight etc. She was just an all round lovely dog. Morning came, rangers rang said they know who owns the dog and can the owners call me to arrange to pick up there dog?? Sure. Within a minute I had a phone call asking for the address to come and get there dog.

A woman and her children arrived as soon as the dog spotted them she was so excited and dragged me over to see them (she was on a lead) Turns out the dogs name is Polar (well suited, I made a comment she looked like a polar bear) the family had walked her,given her dinner and the gone out and she dug a hole under the fence and went walkies. The lady tells me they went street walking looking for her dog, the kids were upset and crying because there dog was missing :cry: She was so grateful that we had picked her up and she must have thanked me a million times, but we had a ball with her and she was no trouble at all. This all happened two days ago.

Yesterday afternoon this woman (should have got her name) and her daughter, came over and gave us a thankyou card and a box of chocolates as a thankyou for taking there dog in. It was hard not to tear up, I just couldnt believe it, I never expected anything in return, we were just glad that Polar clearly has a loving home and the owners actually cared that there dog was missing.What a lovely family, both the kids,the mum and "polar" wrote in the card. I tell you what though if no one had claimed her I think she would have become a permanent resident :laugh: This whole experience has restored my faith in humanity. :D Here some pictures of Polar

Edited by Destroya

I'd say you are one of those people who can be amazing!

Lovely thing to do :)

:thumbsup:

This! So many people ignore wandering animals, I am not in the slightest bit surprised they were so thankful. What a lovely story :)

This is how I found my beloved Loki :) he belonged to one of the families who do not give to shytes about their dog getting out but rather wish it, so they signed him over to me instead of dumping him or putting him to sleep.

That's really lovely :)

I can't go past a dog without an owner, in fact, have been busted a couple of times being overzealous and pulling over to pick up a wandering dog, only to have it's owner walk around the corner 2 seconds later... "uhhh, I'm definitely not trying to steal your dog!" Oops!

That's how we've ended up with our fourth as well, owners were trying to rehome her, we said we'd take her on til a new home could be found, but she's not going anywhere!!!

I like to think that in these situations, karma is my friend. I've picked up countless dogs over the years and re-united them with their owners, and as luck would have it, on the occasions when one of our dogs have gotten out, they've almost always gotten picked up by some kind soul, and we've always gotten them back within a few hours:)

Agree :)

Totally agree!

A few weeks ago just after I moved our old dog Micha got out. He was gone before I woke up so would have been out for hours. I spent hours driving around looking for him and was walking down a street calling for him when a lady came out of her house asking if I'd lost my dog. She had seen him early that morning almost getting hit by a heap of cars so took him home waiting for the pound to open. We walked over to her back gate and sure enough there he was. I bawled my eyes out! She was so lovely. I took her and her kids a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates after work, but nothing could express my gratitude for what she did to save my dog.

:thumbsup:

This! So many people ignore wandering animals, I am not in the slightest bit surprised they were so thankful. What a lovely story :)

Thanks so much, i dont consider myself amazing, Its just what I do, the first dog i took in when i was about 7, I hid it in the shed so my mum wouldn't find it, i fed it for maybe a day and she found out. Turns out the dog had mangeeek1.gif So I called it Mange laugh.gif (not knowing what the hell it meant) The owners were found and I dont remember them being concerned that there dog had mange WTH??? icon_smile_mad.gif

I have been through hell with a dog I had years ago that was an escape artist and I know how it feels for your dog to go missing and be terrified that you were never going to see it again and its just horrible and I hate that other people go through that too.

I was so happy that they clearly loved there dog so much!! I have taken a dog back to a house before after seeing it nearly get hit by a car (driver had to swerve and slam brakes on) the dog then ran home and I followed it to tell the owner what had happened.

He was an older fella, who had a care factor of zero about the whole situation and just said " oh i spose i better shut the gate" Made me FURIOUS!!!

If someone came to my house and told me that i would have been horrified and so grateful by dog was ok.

Some people just shouldn't own pets. But hey I could talk about that subject for hours. I myself have made many animal ownership mistakes over the years and im not perfect but I have learnt from them. Luckly Polar is in the right family smile.gif

Agree :)

Totally agree!

A few weeks ago just after I moved our old dog Micha got out. He was gone before I woke up so would have been out for hours. I spent hours driving around looking for him and was walking down a street calling for him when a lady came out of her house asking if I'd lost my dog. She had seen him early that morning almost getting hit by a heap of cars so took him home waiting for the pound to open. We walked over to her back gate and sure enough there he was. I bawled my eyes out! She was so lovely. I took her and her kids a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates after work, but nothing could express my gratitude for what she did to save my dog.

I also know how you feel in regards to this too. 4 or so years ago (animal ownership mistake #1) when our cat was allowed outside, he was hit by a car and our neighbours called the RSPCA and he was taken to a vet for treatment. If it wasnt for them he would have died. We bought them a card and some scratchies. But nothing could ever say thankyou.

I'm actually shocked at how much I got attached to her and so quickly, there is her fur on my car bonnet (car is parked near patio) and it makes me sad and I miss her laugh.gif But im so glad she has a great home.

We had another dog here for a week a little shitzu x, we eventually found his owners too and they were really nice too and gave us money to cover food etc and wouldnt take no for an answer. I didnt go outside though i was worried i would be too emotional and im glad i didnt as soon as she saw her dog, she starting bawling!!!! I let my partner handle that one laugh.gif

One of the best reunions I have ever seen is on TV. A family had a mum and a daughter dog and I think it was the daughter dog that went missing for close to a year. the mum dog was never the same, hardly played and clearly depressed, play dates with other dogs didnt help. Because they had the dogs microchipped they finally got the dog back. When they put this dog down in the backyard, the mum dog started doing zoomies and just going nuts with excitement.

OMG it was the most happiest thing i have ever seen, I have goosebumps just thinking about it biggrin.gif

Lucky for everyone your story had a great outcome.

I have had such a different experience trying to do what I perceive as the right thing. twice this year I have picked up dogs running down the middle of country roads miles from anywhere.

Both times I have managed to locate owners within 24 hrs and both times the owners have been completely pissed off with me for picking up their dogs and keeping them safe from traffic and farmers with guns etc etc......They just acted like I should have left them there on the road as they were probably 'on their way home'!

It's left me reluctant to try again as both times it's cost me considerable time, phone calls & fuel to return the dogs to their ungrateful effwits of owners.

:(