Tips For New Breeder

SLF

I have a maiden bitch who I am joining this heat. I have the stud dog picked out all going great...untill my mentor and owner of the dog gets called away for 3 1/2 wks just at mating time!

So I now have the dog and the bitch at my place, instead of his Im sure Im over analysing.

My bitch is at day 5 and tends to have heats of 19days.

So my mentor/breeder has said to just put them together every second day untill I get a successfull join. This is also the advice from my Vet. My Vet said there wasnt a great need for testing my bitch as I had both parties here and why interfere when you dont have to.

So I welcome any tips or tricks you might have so I can make this go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks

Have a second person handy just in case you need to grab the dogs quickly if she reacts badly. Or a second person is great for making a cup of coffee for you when you get a tie LOL

Put her on a longish leash and stand back and watch them. She'll either accept the dog or not and the less interference you do the better.

Definitely get someone else to help who has at least seen dogs mating before. If you are trying to mate a giant breed or a very extreme breed then probably better to have someone with a bit more specific experience, but otherwise anyone will do.

Unlike Pav Lova I would put the DOG on a long leash and let the bitch loose, but definitely have one of them on a leash or you can guarantee they will tie under a rose bush or somewhere else really really inconvenient -like in the middle of the front lawn at home time for the local school...... :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck, don't panic and remember dogs have been breeding for quite a long time without our help...

If he is experienced should be ok - when she will stand for him it should happen without too much of a problem - but be close at hand to hold her and calm her down while tied - hope you don't get a screamer - have one that lets the whole world know - nearly died the first time this happened but was reassured by a lot of dol forum users that some girls do this - only one ever had this happen with but just in case you will know it can happen.

If he is a first timer it may take a while - had to have an assisted mating with one of my males the first time but the next time he knew exactly what to do.

There are lots of Youtube videos of dogs mating which will give you an idea of what to expect - look at this one

or do a seach of dogs first time mating see if any come up that may help.

Good idea about having a friend to make the coffee - sometimes the tie seems endless!!!

Good luck with it.

Im am a kelpie breeder in Wst Vic :)

The dog is very experienced, an old hand at it...my girl can be a bit bossy and hopefully she will play nice.

I have a friend in my dog club who use to breed, before turning to agility. I might ask him to be on standby for me just in case.

thanks for the tips.

If she's a bit bossy you may need to be prepared for the dog to be even bossier - especially an experienced one. Don't be surprised if there is some snapping, growling and leaping about but if you know your own bitch well you will know when she is genuinely frightened/not interested and when she's simply playing 'hard to get'. The majority of experienced dogs will take care of the situation very well if you give them 5 minutes to do so. If she's not ready most experienced dogs will just shrug and walk off :laugh:

Feed em some raw chicken wings - this gives them a quick hit of an amino acid - arginine and makes the blood vessels do what you want them to do to the boy and stand back give em 10 mins and if she is ready they will tie.If not do the same thing the next day. The worst thing you can do is interfere. If you want a good indication of about when- breathe in through your nose and flare your nostrils- feel the bulb of your nose when it is flared . Then pinch your top lip and notice the difference. When she is not ready her vulva will feel like your nose when she is about good to stand it will feel like your top lip.

I would try them together morning and night each day. Sometimes you miss the best day if you only try every second day. Let them play if they want to for about 10 minutes and if nothing happens, separate until the next morning or evening. If they both seem keen but the bitch keeps moving, put a collar on her and hold her front end, around her chest so she cannot step forward at the crucial moment. If the dog is experienced then do not touch him at all but leave him to get on with it.

If you want a good indication of about when- breathe in through your nose and flare your nostrils- feel the bulb of your nose when it is flared . Then pinch your top lip and notice the difference. When she is not ready her vulva will feel like your nose when she is about good to stand it will feel like your top lip

Every single time you type that I do it :D Sorry not adding to the thread but it makes me laugh every time :)

If you want a good indication of about when- breathe in through your nose and flare your nostrils- feel the bulb of your nose when it is flared . Then pinch your top lip and notice the difference. When she is not ready her vulva will feel like your nose when she is about good to stand it will feel like your top lip

Every single time you type that I do it :D Sorry not adding to the thread but it makes me laugh every time :)

But it is so true!!!!I just did it again too. I find it even looks different when ready!! sort of a bit droopy.

Thank God we have noses and lips!!!! Yes I always do it and not missed yet.

Yep we would be stuck and a lot poorer if we didn't :)

I am not mating my bitch this time - although Lewis won't believe me - but I still do it and it coreseponds nicely with what he and she are telling me and also showing me that she does the same thing pretty much every time :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Quick question...

how long does the 'foreplay' go on for, as in how long do I let them be together before I know if it IS or ISNT going to happen?

At the moment he has a sniff and a lick and off he goes, she wants to smoother him and follows him around.

This morning the bitch is raising her tail and 'flaring' herself at him...he still sniffs and licks and then moves on.

So I have left them alone in a small enclosed area for a while (so I can spy from the house) to see if it makes a difference having her off lead. Perhaps Im getting in the way?

She has only yesterday gone from very heavy bleeding to lighter pink bleeding, we are currently on Day 11. Her last 3 heats had varied btw 19-21days.