Vegan Pets?

Ruin Maniac

With all due respect to Vegans I don't actually understand the thought process. I believe in the circle of life, meat is meant to be eaten and killed. Look at Africa, nature is cruel. What would we do without any culling/killing of these meat sources? I don't like the thought that animals have to die but what would we do with them all?

These animals are only there because we breed them for food. If we didn't breed them they wouldn't be there.

Nature is cruel, but factory farming is about as far away from nature as you can get.

I don't blame humans for hunting and killing animals for meat, but what we do now, is so far removed from that.

I actually don't really have an issue with people hunting and killing either their own raised animals or wild animals for meat. I do have an issue with factory farming and slaughter practices.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had the courage? to kill my own meat for myself and my dogs. I could raise chickens and sheep and goats and bunnies for food, kill them quickly and humanely so that they'd be happily eating their favourite food one second and be dead the next. But I just cant do it. :(

Edited by Kirislin

Guest donatella

With all due respect to Vegans I don't actually understand the thought process. I believe in the circle of life, meat is meant to be eaten and killed. Look at Africa, nature is cruel. What would we do without any culling/killing of these meat sources? I don't like the thought that animals have to die but what would we do with them all?

These animals are only there because we breed them for food. If we didn't breed them they wouldn't be there.

Nature is cruel, but factory farming is about as far away from nature as you can get.

I don't blame humans for hunting and killing animals for meat, but what we do now, is so far removed from that.

I actually don't really have an issue with people hunting and killing either their own raised animals or wild animals for meat. I do have an issue with factory farming and slaughter practices.

They are awful, I still haven't been able to watch that movie/documentary about what humans do to nature and the planet, that film actually sent my brother Vegan.

Some vegans take it to the next level though. If you get into the nitty gritty there's not much you can eat without something being harmed in the process.

They are awful, I still haven't been able to watch that movie/documentary about what humans do to nature and the planet, that film actually sent my brother Vegan.

Some vegans take it to the next level though. If you get into the nitty gritty there's not much you can eat without something being harmed in the process.

Exactly. Basically I want to cause the least suffering possible, that's not to say that I'm causing none, I am.

Unfortunately with the way our society is, it's almost impossible to be completely cruelty free :(

Same Kirislin, I couldn't do it, but at least done that way it's quick.

I know, how good would that be, no trucks, no sales yards, no confusion, no rough handling, no scary transport to abbattiors, just a quick death for them. Oh how I wish I could, they'd have a great life and be treated with respect and gratitude.

Guest donatella

Depends on the vegan :laugh: . I don't have a problem with it.

You seem like a very normal vegan, I met one once and she once a few sandwiches short of a picnic that's for sure. You try getting hospital food right for a vegan, a strict very picky one at that. Holy baloney!

You seem like a very normal vegan, I met one once and she once a few sandwiches short of a picnic that's for sure. You try getting hospital food right for a vegan, a strict very picky one at that. Holy baloney!

:laugh: did you feel like just saying to her, "do you want to eat or not?"

I know, problem is when you get really extreme about it you just p*ss people off and alienate them, doesn't exactly help the cause :laugh:

I have a vegan friend who basically abuses anyone who eats meat. I don't know what they feed their dogs but any time anyone mentions on FB what they're eating they'll get ripped to shreds. I don't think that's very fair of them. I know a few more vegans that behave like that as well. My friend has a friend who sends her pictures of calves being killed (taken by PETA) every time she mentions eating meat or something. It's weird. I don't believe any one has the right to impose their views on others or their philosophy on their animals. I'm an omnivore but my rabbits aren't.

You're not Robinson Crusoe there :(

Guest donatella

She pretty much just lived off veges and salad sandwiches, unfortunately public hospitals don't really cater for chick pea and tofu lovers

She pretty much just lived off veges and salad sandwiches, unfortunately public hospitals don't really cater for chick pea and tofu lovers

I'm vegetarian and I can't stand tofu :p

I don't believe a cat will do well on a vegan diet. Cats need meat to thrive.

If a cat is self sufficent it will always choose to hunt for fresh meat, it will not scrounge for garbage like a dog will. A dog will "survive" on just about any crap.

I too, feel it's wrong for carnivoires to be imposed a un-natural diet.

Despite being a vegetarian of 20+ years and trying to change to vegan at this time, I am, sadly, neither pale nor skinny. Nor as a wannabe vegan do I want to prevent anyone having well loved and cared for pets. I am opposed to factory farming, live export, the fur trade and similar industries where animal suffering is downplayed in favour of economic gain. I do not understand why our pets are granted so many privileges and protections that other animals are not. I do believe that in some (not all) cases animal rights activists are playing a vital role in improving the awareness of the general public to the amount of suffering which is inflicted to keep humans gratified. I find it disappointing when I see vegans/vegetarians/activists being stereotyped in such negative ways. We are not all one homogenous group! I also deeply resent the suggestion that I "force" my vegetarian diet on my children - both of my girls have chosen to embrace this diet as they see it as the only choice compatible with their love of animals. I have always made it clear that although I do not choose to cook meat dishes they are very welcome to experiment, without judgement, out of the home. I do not see how this is different to forcing a personal belief that meat should be eaten regularly on our children. Sorry for the off topic rant, obviously this is an area which frutrates me!

Back to pets - currently I have vegetarian chooks, guinea pigs and parrot. My dog and cat are not vegetarian. I have had vegetarian (not vegan)dogs in the past. My great dane and mastiff cross did very well healthwise and appeared to eat their food with enthusiasm. I had the assistance of a vet to ensure that their health was not compromised. After some time I reintroduced bones because I was unable to find a vegetarian substitute which could withstand their jaws for more than a few minutes and was concerned that I wasn't meeting their dental and psychological needs to chew. I did not choose this diet for my own ego, or to be hip. I chose it because I wish to reduce the amount of money I contribute to an industry dependent on suffering. My current dog, a border collie, is not vegetarian - he has fish such as sardines, eggs from my own happy pet chooks, and some bones as well as a wide range of vegetarian products. I may choose to change him to an almost totally vegetarian diet at a later date, I am undecided. But you can be sure that his health and contentment are my priorities.

Interesting what topics people will choose as their first post in a forum.

Edited by LizT