Pitbulls Bite Off Teenagers Ear In Savage Attack

k9angel

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dog forum is still made up on emotional beings with varyhing opinions.

But hopefully a greater degree of understanding of dogs than your average member of the press displays in discussing these incidents. We're not selling column inches here.

If I want to read hysteria about dog attacks, I want to read it somewhere else thanks. I don't want dumbed down, emotive discussion here if I can help it.

It's possible to express an opinion without resorting to hysterics.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

But hopefully a greater degree of understanding of dogs than your average member of the press displays in discussing these incidents. We're not selling column inches here.

If I want to read hysteria about dog attacks, I want to read it somewhere else thanks. I don't want dumbed down, emotive discussion here if I can help it.

Well it's not your place to dictate what others feel and their responses, people will have their own take on a situation and not just yours. Also just because they're not a member here does not automatically mean a member of the press doesn't have a clue about dogs, the reports actually seemed very well done and correct. No hype or hysteria that I saw.

Well it's not your place to dictate what others feel and their responses, people will have their own take on a situation and not just yours. Also just because they're not a member here does not automatically mean a member of the press doesn't have a clue about dogs, the reports actually seemed very well done and correct. No hype or hysteria that I saw.

i'm not dictating how others should feel or respond. I'm not stifling views on the issue either.

I'm taking issue specifically with inaccurate, hyperbolic language - in this case, yours. You can hold any opinion you like but If you want to label these dogs as "monsters" then expect me to take issue with it.

Just as I take issue with the word "mauling".

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Feel free to be pc. I won't be

Politically correct? Hardly.

Consult a dictionary and look up "mauling". This boy wasn't beaten by the dogs. He was bitten. Severely bitten.

Language matters. If you want other people to understand your point of view, accurate communication is a good start. :)

Consult a dictionary and look up "mauling". This boy wasn't beaten by the dogs. He was bitten. Severely bitten.

Language matters. If you want other people to understand your point of view, accurate communication is a good start. :)

I'll use whatever words I like. Thanks

And when you use words incorrectly, expect people to misunderstand you. Your choice. :shrug:

Next time you can interpret your assignment questions for yourself. :wave:

And when you use words incorrectly, expect people to misunderstand you. Your choice. :shrug:

Next time you can interpret your assignment questions for yourself. :wave:

Fine by me :)

Also Amstaffs don't have a red nosed colour do they?

for goodness sake, children, children, children how about we all grow up and get past who called the dogs what.

Fact: they were big powerful animals

Fact: they escaped and attacked of their own accord

Fact: there are breeds that are DA but sadly some label it as "gameness" and see it as a minor issue that can be "managed"

Well guess what, nuclear war heads, pedophiles, murderers, rapists and loaded guns can all be "managed" as well but I still wouldn't want them in my neighbours back yard, most of the conditions aforementioned can be explained by science and psychology but in a lot of peoples minds people that carry out these despicable acts would be classed as "monsters" and a lot worse than that.

Who cares what people want to call these dogs, they have caused immense harm to a human and should be dealt with accordingly as should their owner!

I care. Labelling these dogs as "monsters" suggests that somehow they are extraordinary. Until I hear evidence to the contrary, I'll consider them highly dog aggressive dogs. No more, no less.

Hyperbolic language is what I expect of the press, not people discussing these incidents on a dog forum.

Exactly, thank you. MUP wasn't the original person using hyperbolic, over the top emotional language though, Dogmad was (although I've seen a consistent pattern of this through her posts on this forum whenever she refers to bull breeds so it was to be expected).

I'm glad Costa is ok :)

The poor guy's ear couldn't be saved, he will have to have it reconstructed. And the 2 attacking dogs have been pts. What a horrible situation, but it would have been worse if Costa had died, at least the guy won't feel like his fight was in vain.

I don't know that I believe the dogs escaped colourbond

fencing, they looked very comfortable running in and out from the house to the front yard in the footage, not like it wasn't something they aren't normally permitted to do. Obviously that's just my conjecture.

Edited by Simply Grand

I love Bull breeds and have worked with them in the past, Amstaffs are one of my three favourite breeds. I think people are seeing me saying monster as something much more drenched in malice than it is. My family has always used the term "monster" to describe anything that we see as dangerous or unsafe. "That's a monster of a tree" or "That bridge is a monster" etc is commonly heard in my family. It's a descriptive word I use is all.

Did you call Ned a "monster"?

I love Bull breeds and have worked with them in the past, Amstaffs are one of my three favourite breeds. I think people are seeing me saying monster as something much more drenched in malice than it is. My family has always used the term "monster" to describe anything that we see as dangerous or unsafe. "That's a monster of a tree" or "That bridge is a monster" etc is commonly heard in my family. It's a descriptive word I use is all.

Did you call Ned a "monster"?

No.

Tuppence worth!

I don't think the tragedy is semantics.

It is the failure to protect the dogs from being themselves that is awfully remiss.

Maybe the dogs needed a higher fence, an isolated containment area, better handling and management, honesty in registering their true breed with council, who knows!

Clearly, they didn't get it, they've impacted on others, and now they have paid with their lives.

It certainly sounds like another case of the wrong person, getting the wrong dogs, for all the wrong reasons.

Tuppence worth!

I don't think the tragedy is semantics.

Sorry, couldn't resist this link

I'm not taking sides.

What is clear to me is: It could be my dog, it could be your dog, it could be someone's dog who you know.

It is totally and absolutely avoidable but it takes time, effort and possibly expense.

With dogs; you have to be in it for the long haul, and you have to get stuck in.

Too hard??

Then they shouldn't get a dog.

A dog does have to have a predisposition toward aggression in the first place though. Yes, I agree that it's the people's fault, but the dogs are the monsters of their breed because they have been mismanaged/bred and/or raised by people to be just that. However, the dog has to naturally have a propensity toward aggressive behaviour when left to its own devices, many breeds would not do this if raised in the same or similar circumstances. I believe it's the lines of dogs of this particular group being bred now, temperament is being replaced by looks and I blame this solely on proper APBT breeders (who know the breed and what they're doing) being banned. BSL is only helping to create unstable dogs being bred underground and sold to people who have no idea how to raise a badly bred bull breed. This could all be avoided if BSL were abolished and proper breeders brought back in.

Don't know how you figure this will solve the issue.

"Proper" APBT breeders bred dog aggressive dogs - indeed, they didn't see it as an issue and said as much in their BSL submissions.

I see a lot of assumptions about these dogs being mistreated, poorly managed or raised to be aggressive. I don't see a shred of evidence that would support any of those assumptions.

The only thing we know for sure is that these dogs escaped their yard and attacked another dog, maiming its owner in the process.

"Proper" breeders also look after and manage their dogs.

He wasn't bitten, he was mauled from the legs up and then had his ear ripped off. I consider that HA.

Not bitten? Did they maul him with their paws??

Unless you've seen the injury report and eye witness reports, how can you categorically state that these injuries cannot be explained by someone being bitten protecting their dog?

How's this for a scenario. Legs injured by dogs biting boy while he held the dog and then once he was on the ground, the ear was bitten in a similar manner. All you have to be is between a dog and it's intended target.

I'm not ruling out HA or transferred aggression but the fact is we simply don't know what the dogs' motivation was and frankly I don't really think it matters all that much. Fact is you cannot label these dogs as monsters and it's actually not very helpful at all. The moment you do it, you can differentiate these dogs from your average suburban dogs - and that's not a good move at all.

Very true. My dog got in a fight over food a few months ago with a Kelpie. During the fight the next door neighbour stuck her leg between the dogs and got bitten by my dog. Now my dog only has one eye and she was on his blind side when she stuck her leg in. Did she get stitches? Yes. Did my dog get put down? No. Do I think my dog did it in on purpose? No. Do I or she think he is a monster? No.

DA is not gameness. Just to add fuel to the fire.

Terrible incident, I feel for the guy that was bitten.

+1 :thumbsup:

What a shame for the American Staffordshire Terriers, that these dogs were registered as "amstaffs" in order to hide their true breed identity from Council. The bite stats will now reflect "amstaff" as the identified breed, when they certainly were not.

What was their true breed identity?

Fine by me :)

Also Amstaffs don't have a red nosed colour do they?

What are you implying? The red nose could have come from a number of mix of breeds?

People are so happy to blame a "breed".