Dog Mauls Owner In Playfight

Quickasyoucan

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/dog-mauls-owner-in-play-fight-at-woolloomooloo/story-fndo28a5-1226510132551

NET Syndicated NSW News

Dog mauls owner in 'play fight' at Woolloomooloo by:

Clementine Cuneo From:

The Daily Telegraph November 05, 2012

Both patients suffered leg injuries and were transported to hospital. Source: The Daily Telegraph

A man and a womanwere viciously attacked by a dog in Woolloomooloo. The dog, pictured, was captured and tie to a fence. Source: The Daily Telegraph

Police officers attended to the injured man's dog and gave it a bone to chew on. Source: The Daily Telegraph

A MAN was mauled by his own dog and a woman who came to his aid was bitten on the leg during an unusual attack at the weekend.

Police said the 37-year-old victim and his mate were "play fighting" in Woolloomooloo on Saturday night when one of his two dogs got worked up and set upon his owner.

The dog, a labrador cross ridgeback, latched onto his owner's lower leg, biting it to the bone, before clamping his jaws on the man's arm and savagely tearing at it.

A female neighbour, aged in her late 30s, who heard the man screaming, was also bitten on the leg when she tried to help.

While paramedics were treating the injured pair, two female police officers comforted a second dog belonging to the man - which had not been part of the commotion. Witnesses said the officers gave the "good dog" a bone, and sat with it to keep it calm, while the "bad dog" was tied to a fence, then taken away.

"There were people screaming and carrying on, and the dogs were getting worked up. It was pretty full-on here," a witness said.

The dog at fault was tied to a fence by some brave witnesses and left there while police worked out what had occurred.

A police spokesman said the owner of both dogs was visiting the house in Stephen St just before 10pm and "play fighting" with his mate shortly before the attack happened.

The injured man and woman were both taken by ambulance to St Vincent's Hospital for treatment and released late yesterday.

The owner was reunited with the dog that wasn't involved in the attack. Sydney City Council rangers will today determine what to do with the other dog.

Police said the owner had expressed a desire for it to be put down for fear it could attack again.

Not hard to understand how that happened, but a clear lesson that any large dog (not just bull breeds) has a potentially dangerous set of jaws.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair dinkum, humans are stupid sometimes. How the hell is a dog supposed to know that it was just play fight? They get the dog all riled up & then get upset when it reacts.

I can't believe the idiot owner wants the dog put down, because of his stupidity, I know which one should be put down & it isn't the poor dog. :rofl:

What an idiot. If the two guys had stopped still after the first bite the dog probably would have stopped too. Yelling and screaming would have just made the dog react even worse and feel he needed to up the anti. I do feel sorry for the neighbour who tried to help though.

Not surprising, don't act like an idiot in front of dogs, pretty simple.

ETA: where's m-sass??? Look! A Labrador attacking someone! Fancy that...

No, it was a lab cross ridgeback, which according to m-sass rules is a no-no cos m-sass is all kill all the crossbreeds.

How horrible for everyone. Glad the guy is OK. Funny that the dog attacked his owner and not the guy who was playfighting with him, so it wasn't a protective thing, or maybe there were legs everywhere and the dog was just stimulated

Not necessarily. Depends on the dynamic between owner and dog. Maybe the dog took its chance.

obviously the owner had no idea what the dog was trying to tell him well before this happened.

I agree , he must not have seen that it was turning from play to a serious fight .

I have play fought with many dogs over many years and never has it even looked like tunring to anything serious, same as my dogs play fight and never have I had those turn into real fights . I have had the occasional foster/visiting dog playing and seen a change in the dogs and stopped it well before anything happened.

obviously the owner had no idea what the dog was trying to tell him well before this happened.

I agree , he must not have seen that it was turning from play to a serious fight .

I have play fought with many dogs over many years and never has it even looked like tunring to anything serious, same as my dogs play fight and never have I had those turn into real fights . I have had the occasional foster/visiting dog playing and seen a change in the dogs and stopped it well before anything happened.

He was play fighting with another human, not his dog.

I have play fought with many dogs over many years and never has it even looked like turning to anything serious, same as my dogs play fight and never have I had those turn into real fights . I have had the occasional foster/visiting dog playing and seen a change in the dogs and stopped it well before anything happened.

He was play fighting with another human, not his dog.

ok I read that sooooo wrong lol , well that is a stupid thing to do , now I understand why ppl saying it attack him and not friend, depends on the bond the friend has with the dog .

I looked after a dog for sm1 once quite often , he always taught it stupid behaviour that was dangerous , when it was with me I shaped that behaviour to reduce the inevitable . well the inevitable happened, when that person and I had a run in about the dog and argued about his stupidity . He told the dog to sick me and gave me a shove and the dog went in to protect , but it protected me and not him , he was the one that got bitten .had he not taught the dog to attack when told, i would not have taught the dog to wait til there was physical contact , unfortunately for him it chose me as the one to protect . also luckily he saw the error of his ways and that his way was the wrong way and the dog lived happily ever after lol

I took it as he was play fighting with his mate i.e the dog.

Nope, two people fighting, dog attacks its owner.

Think about why a dog would do that peeps.

The dog simply chomped down on the nearest available flying limb.

I took it as he was play fighting with his mate i.e the dog.

Nope, two people fighting, dog attacks its owner.

Think about why a dog would do that peeps.

The dog simply chomped down on the nearest available flying limb.

Twice? And then tore at it? That's not typical of any accidental bite I've heard of.