I Visited A Pound Today.

Michelleva

Yesterday my Nana's little dog went missing. We had family out driving the streets calling him till 11pm last night, there was no sign of him. So this morning I took my Nan up there in the hope of finding her best mate. To my surprise, he was there and after paying the hefty release fee's, he was re-united with his Mum. :thumbsup:

I've never been to the pound, I haven't had the need.

All I can say is I was gobsmacked at how many dogs they had. I'd estimate they had close to 100 dogs, and we didn't even see them all. And there were a lot of pedigree dogs, like Husky's, Labs, Cav's, Poms, Staffies galore and numberous poodle crosses. Just so many dogs, it made me sad wondering how many of them will find their way back home. :cry:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I wanted to do volunteer work at a pound for a while then couldn't bring myself to it, i'd be to saddened by it all and would go home depressed :(

Muchos respectos to those who get involved in the pound environment.

And the staff acted like they didn't give a damn, almost like they are immune to it.

I was astounded by how many pedigree dogs were there. They definitely outnumbered the bitza's.

You mean pure breds? Or were they all surrendered with pedigree papers?

You'll find that people who work in a shelter situation often act heartless/like they don't care, but for most of them if they didn't care they wouldn't work there. But when you see dogs dying, being dumped, in terrible condition and thoughtless owners you get harder. Pound staff wouldn't get far if they walked around crying at every sad doggy face they see.

Edited by mixeduppup

And the staff acted like they didn't give a damn, almost like they are immune to it.

I was astounded by how many pedigree dogs were there. They definitely outnumbered the bitza's.

You HAVE to become slightly immune to it otherwise you wouldn't last longer than a month. Trust me that the staff don't work there for the money. They do care.

Edited by Aussie3

You HAVE to become slightly immune to it otherwise you wouldn't last longer than a month. Trust me that the staff don't work there for the money. They do care.

I'm sure they do, but they just seemed like robots, thats probably the only way they can cope with the situation. I know I wouldn't last a day. :cry: And of course I don't expect them to walk around crying, but they could show a little happiness that a little doggy got re-united with his owner, who is her world by the way.

I was just saddened by the whole situation.

Whats with the nit picking? They were purebred dogs, how would I know what they were surrended with. I'm just a member of the public making an observation.

I'm sure they do, but they just seemed like robots, thats probably the only way they can cope with the situation. I know I wouldn't last a day. :cry: And of course I don't expect them to walk around crying, but they could show a little happiness that a little doggy got re-united with his owner, who is her world by the way.

I was just saddened by the whole situation.

They could show it but they don't have to. The fact that they looked after her whilst she was missing and not to mention all those other dogs is much more important than if they smile when they give her back. Also who knows, they may have just done a mass euth, that gets you pretty down for the rest of the day.

Whats with the nit picking? They were purebred dogs, how would I know what they were surrended with. I'm just a member of the public making an observation.

Some people are under the delusion, that purebred dogs don't end up in pounds.

There is a difference between a pedigree dog (which comes with papers) and a dog that looks like a purebred dog. I would posit that most dogs in pounds are not pedigree dogs if only because pedigree dogs make up a very small percentage of the dog population as a whole. Hence the nitpicking.

Some people are under the delusion, that purebred dogs don't end up in pounds.

See above.

Edited by Sheridan

Guest donatella

What was the outcome of the purebred debate, that it meant the dog had papers or not? Some argued that purebred meant a dog with an identical resemblance to the breed standard and that pedigree meant a dog that came with papers to show its lineage...

There is a difference between a pedigree dog (which comes with papers) and a dog that looks like a purebred dog. I would posit that most dogs in pounds are not pedigree dogs if only because pedigree dogs make up a very small percentage of the dog population as a whole. Hence the nitpicking.

:thumbsup:

Exactly!

Guest donatella

I believe it was decided that purebreds are dogs that can be with or without papers but must resemble the breed physically. Pedigree purebred must have papers.

In which case Michelleva is totally okay to say she saw Purebred dogs today at the pound then :shrug:

Geez the smallest things people make a fuss about I swear.

IME working at a pound you do get a lot of "purebred" looking dogs.... i.e. that is obviously a Border Collie/Poodle etc whether or not it has papers.

Dogs with a pedigree were less common but I would say we would still have got at least a few a week.

Edited by Aussie3

I believe it was decided that purebreds are dogs that can be with or without papers but must resemble the breed physically. Pedigree purebred must have papers.

In which case Michelleva is totally okay to say she saw Purebred dogs today at the pound then :shrug:

Geez the smallest things people make a fuss about I swear.

I think she said pedigree, but we know what she meant and I don't see why she was pulled up on it.