Idiot Neighbour

mantis

The block of units I live in, most of the neighbours are really nice & we get on really well. But there is one neighbour who is a know it all & thinks he is better than everyone else & rules don't apply to him

Since I adopted little Cougar, all the other dog owners only walk their dogs on lead, when I am walking Cougar, until they all get to know each other. But the idiot refuses to leash his dog, even when I asked him politely to have his dog on lead, if he sees me walking Cougar. He not only told me to get stuffed & he would do as he pleases, he started taunting Cougar, by playing with his dog outside my unit., when I told him to stop, he again told me get stuffed.

The other neighbours are angry with him as well, because they know that I only have the dogs best interest at heart & I am scared that if his little dog runs up to my dog barking & growling like she does, Cougar might react & his little dog could be hurt.

I decided that the only way to make him take responsibility for his dogs behaviour, was to ring the Council & inform them of him never having his dog on lead, plus the fact his dog isn't registered, desexed, or microchipped.

The Ranger paid him a visit monday afternoon & he bragged to other neighbours that he told them to get stuffed & he will do as he pleases. Yesterday afternoon, I get a phone call from the Ranger saying that he made a complaint about me having a vicious dog, that I let wander off lead. I was gob smacked, the Ranger told me not to worry, as he knows I'm a responsible owner & he was just doing it to get even. The Ranger said that they are continuing their investigations into him & will let me know the outcome of any prosecutions against him.

Why is there always one rotten apple? I'm so furious, especially as he is still not leashing his dog, which I told the Ranger.

OK, vent over. :laugh:

Did the ranger at least make him register his dog? I am not sure about Vic but here in WA, it is not mandatory to have dogs desexed or microchipped.

Annoying people will always be annoying! I would try to avoid him and his dog.

I would say they will, but they are still investigating him over having his dog off lead as well.

It's a bit hard to avoid his dog, as he sometimes leaves her outside on her own, for over an hour. I wait until he goes out to walk Cougar, but I have to keep a watch, so as soon as see his car, I quickly take Cougar inside.

It's so bloody unfair on her, that she can't be walked except when the idiot is out. :cry:

That does make it up a bit hard :mad

Is she a nice dog, maybe put her back in her yard when he is out? Not sure what the temperament is of your dog and his, but is there a way that they can 'learn' to be 'friends', if you know what I mean :laugh: ?

That does make it up a bit hard :mad

Is she a nice dog, maybe put her back in her yard when he is out? Not sure what the temperament is of your dog and his, but is there a way that they can 'learn' to be 'friends', if you know what I mean :laugh: ?

Unfortunately, he lives in one of the three units with no courtyard, so can't do that. My girl is OK with the other dogs, but they are always on lead, where as his dog runs up & barks & growls at other dogs, so I am not sure how my dog would react to that, the reason I am so worried.

The Ranger said that if my dog hurt his dog because she got in my dogs face, that it would be the owners fault, but I couldn't bear his little dog getting hurt, because she has a moron for an owner.

There's always one isn't there...

It's difficult when neighbours have dogs with no manners, my neighbours have constant barkers, they're such cute little dogs (Cavs), but the noise is so annoying sometimes I want to throttle the owners.

Can you carry Cougar past the dog? If it's only a little dog, then even if it jumps it won't be able to reach Cougar when you're carrying her. Cougar will then know that she is adequately protected by you from being harassed by the dog.

Im a bit confused in trying to figure out what your situation is. Is it just when he is walking the dog or does the dog roam all over your property? Is your dog reactive - or are you just playing it safe?

If his dog is roaming I'd be inclined to just pick her up and take her to the pound or RSPCA or call them to collect her.

It sounds like you are a bit frustrated over the whole situation. Time to take a step back and see what your options are. You can't control his behaviour, and whilst it would be nice if everyone is considerate that wont ever be the case. In my opinion, reporting him to the council for a minor offense is just going to aggravate the situation, and the response so far has been that he has in turn reported you for your dog and I imagine he will now step up his behaviour towards you and your dog rather than backing off and falling into line.

The way I see it is to turn it on its head and make it positive. Him mucking about with his dog presents a really good training opportunity for your dog. You can start indoors and slowly build up to where you and your dog are doing some high quality work on your doorstep whilst he is playing with his dog in your yard. Good practice for the other times where other strange dogs may come running up to you whilst you are out walking. You may even inspire him to train his dog ;).

Im a bit confused in trying to figure out what your situation is. Is it just when he is walking the dog or does the dog roam all over your property? Is your dog reactive - or are you just playing it safe?

If his dog is roaming I'd be inclined to just pick her up and take her to the pound or RSPCA or call them to collect her.

It sounds like you are a bit frustrated over the whole situation. Time to take a step back and see what your options are. You can't control his behaviour, and whilst it would be nice if everyone is considerate that wont ever be the case. In my opinion, reporting him to the council for a minor offense is just going to aggravate the situation, and the response so far has been that he has in turn reported you for your dog and I imagine he will now step up his behaviour towards you and your dog rather than backing off and falling into line.

The way I see it is to turn it on its head and make it positive. Him mucking about with his dog presents a really good training opportunity for your dog. You can start indoors and slowly build up to where you and your dog are doing some high quality work on your doorstep whilst he is playing with his dog in your yard. Good practice for the other times where other strange dogs may come running up to you whilst you are out walking. You may even inspire him to train his dog ;).

I wouldn't take his dog to the pound, because everyone here knows he wouldn't pay to get her out.

We have a big communal area where we all exercise our dogs, he is the only one who won't leash his dog. I can't risk taking her out when his dog is there, because he won't call his dog back, he thinks it's funny, that his little dog rushes other dogs. The guy is a moron, I'm just thankful he only has a small dog, if he ever owned a big dog, well I don't even want to think about what would happen.

I wouldn't take his dog to the pound, because everyone here knows he wouldn't pay to get her out.

She might end up in a better home....

So - is your dog reactive? Mine have been rushed by little fluffies and terriers. They usually change their mind when they get closer and realise that the odds are against them. I'm sure most dogs have some self preservation instincts. How has Cougar been with the other neighbours dogs? That might give you an idea on how she is likely to react.

She might end up in a better home....

So - is your dog reactive? Mine have been rushed by little fluffies and terriers. They usually change their mind when they get closer and realise that the odds are against them. I'm sure most dogs have some self preservation instincts. How has Cougar been with the other neighbours dogs? That might give you an idea on how she is likely to react.

She is fine with the other dogs, they do bark at her, but only because they are excited, Cougar doesn't bark back, just keeps walking & sniffing. The dog in question has charged a kelpie who was visiting & if it hadn't been on a lead, the little girl would have been in trouble.

The only time I have seen my dog react, was when a Cattle Dog came to visit, she went totally ballistic, luckily she was inside at the time, it really shocked me as she hardly ever makes any noise. I'm guessing that because she came from Mildura, that maybe she had a bad experience with a Cattle Dog there.

If you're in a body corporate, can't you complain to them. If all members vote that dogs must be on lead, etc, within the grounds then wouldn't he have to comply?

This - if there is a body corporate there may already be something in the rules about leashing dogs or a decision can be made to make it a rule. Unfortunately in a small shared space, sometimes people don't think about being considerate just what they've always done or what they feel like doing. Good luck in sorting it out.

Edited by conztruct

I second the water pistol, or a big stick.

You may find its all show, i often get little dogs charging upto my 3, they generally only get so close before they back off, one did run behind us and try and bite one of mine on the back leg ( little shit, being walked on a road by a guy offlead, did it again the next day too!), but he got a swift kick.

You have to live there, so i would try and see what happens, once it gets used to you it may get easier, perhaps it would be easier to try when the dog is there and not the guy.

I second the water pistol, or a big stick.

You may find its all show, i often get little dogs charging upto my 3, they generally only get so close before they back off, one did run behind us and try and bite one of mine on the back leg ( little shit, being walked on a road by a guy offlead, did it again the next day too!), but he got a swift kick.

You have to live there, so i would try and see what happens, once it gets used to you it may get easier, perhaps it would be easier to try when the dog is there and not the guy.

I lived here for 15 months, but went to somewhere else for 6 months. I was the resident doggy sitter before I got Cougar, so all the dogs know me well. The little girl of the idiot, used to come & bark at my door, when he left her outside in the cold & rain, while he visited a neighbour, because she wouldn't let the dog into her unit. I would take her in & dry her & wait until the idiot came looking for her to take her back to his unit. Gawd I hate this man. :mad

I just have to hope that the Ranger can actually get him to do the right thing. Seeing as he is willing to lie to get his own way, I don't dare contacting the Office of Housing, who knows what lies he would tell them.

Anyway, I got told by one of the other neighbours, that he is going away touring for awhile, it would be great if he never came back. :laugh: