Stopped A Dog Attack This Morning...

Ruin Maniac

congrats stepping in alot of people wouldnt. Hope the little dogs are doing okay. Aslong as the the owners exchanged info and you dont feel the lady was pressured into not reporting it, maybe leave it up to her. Though i can understand why you might want to report it. On a side note alot of people on this forum a very quick to say pts, just a observation.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definently report it

do not want to think what could of happened if you didnt help out.

so sad and scary for everyone involved

Hope times have changed though because 2 years ago my bullmastiff was attacked by 2 staffies , incompetant owner, staffies off leash and he had no control, he took off and i got his car rego and description and notified police and council, no one was interested:-(

My boy req. $1000 vet bill, shots etc and after hours fees.

So as a minimum the guy should pay for a check over by a vet.

A top job for going and helping her out,

This is why I haven't walked my poor dogs on the streets in months :eek:

too stressful this is SO common you have no idea!

Totally agree with you Donatella. I do walk my dogs but I now have neck problems from swivelling my head in all directions as I am constantly on guard.

Guest donatella

Totally agree with you Donatella. I do walk my dogs but I now have neck problems from swivelling my head in all directions as I am constantly on guard.

This is me! If I so much as hear a dog snarling behind the fence I pick up the pace and constantly turn my head back to make sure it hasn't busted the fence.

I live in a safe neighbourhood but I can think of 2 dogs on my street that would love to bust out of their fence and get to mine, I can hear the ferocity in their snarling and digging at the fence and trying to dig under.

I'd rather drive to a big park and walk around that. There is still the element of risk but I don't think as much as dogs being territorial on their own property.

This is me! If I so much as hear a dog snarling behind the fence I pick up the pace and constantly turn my head back to make sure it hasn't busted the fence.

I live in a safe neighbourhood but I can think of 2 dogs on my street that would love to bust out of their fence and get to mine, I can hear the ferocity in their snarling and digging at the fence and trying to dig under.

I'd rather drive to a big park and walk around that. There is still the element of risk but I don't think as much as dogs being territorial on their own property.

Yeah that's me. There are so many streets I don't go down any more because I know there may be loose dogs.

And the whole time I am trying to act casual so that my dogs will not pick up on my anxiety. :laugh:

Just wondering about the lifting by the back legs thing, I did this to Quinn once when I was trying to stop her eating a mouse she had in her mouth. I hoped if I lifted her leg and pulled her backwards she might open her mouth and drop it. She didn't, she just held on tight.

I understand that it was a totally different situation to a dog fight, but does anyone think it might indicate that not all dogs will let go when you lift their legs up?

Edited by Simply Grand

Report report. I have a reactive dog and was rushed by an extremely large dog this morning. The owner stood at her mailbox telling me to calm down he was being friendly. Luckily 2 neighbours came to help and put their bodies between , even with 3 of us it was hard to keep him from getting round to my hysterical dog. If there was a fight my dog is at risk because of their slack attitude. This attitude is going to get not only their dog but someone else's dog in trouble. Dangerous dogs are often dogs that have not been correctly managed by their owners, this ones been declared and his owners haven't changed. If they don't micromanage their dog then it will do it again. Shame for the dog but look after the next victims,

I take something to spray dogs with when i walk. I have a dog reactive dog, trainer says he is ok off lead, but he hates off lead dogs when he is on, i never let him off but we get rushed all the time. Its suprising how effective a water spray to the face is, though the owners generally get pissed off.

Id leave it up to the victim to report, if it was me id like the choice. Id be annoyed if i decided to call and someone else had done it.

Wouldn't the OP need to know where the offending dog lives to make a report and receive some council action?

I thought that maybe the fact that it was wearing a prescribed collar might, with an accurate description of dog and owner, let them know who I was talking about. Since the owner arrived so quickly (less than 2 minutes), I'd say he's nearby.

ChuckAndSteve - part of me does want to leave it up to the victim to make the report for many reasons, but largely because I don't want to force her to be involved, but if she doesn't make it at all and it happens again I'm certain the situation could be far worse. Again, there are people who walk their dogs here that would be extremely vulnerable if caught up in a dog attack. Beside us are two very elderly people with a partially blind maltese (who is adorable but reactive), and up the street are two kids under 10 with a couple of bouncy JRTs. Admittedly I am also concerned for my future puppy, and for my housemate's (who we are going to see for the first time today).

I know where the victim lives. I might leave it a while and go to see if she and the fluffies are okay and ask her how the follow-up went. The owner of the aggressive dog was putting emphasis on how it was an accident, and how lovely his dog is normally and he was being apologetic, but I do feel as if she was put under pressure on the spot not to talk to the ranger. I had asked her if she had wanted me to call an authoritative body in the first place and she'd said yes and that she would wait for them to arrive. She only changed her mind after speaking with the owner but did still take my details once he was gone.

Edited by Ruin Maniac

Why do people continue to claim that a DA dog will maul small children for heavens sake. DA & HA two different issues. :mad

I don't think anyone is suggesting that, I think it's more that a fragile owner would be less likely to deal with a full-on attack on their dog.

Also it is highly likely that a DA dog will redirect its aggression to a human if interrupted in its aroused state. This doesn't make them HA, but the danger is still there, not to mention the risk of accidentally getting in the middle of the attack.

Why do people continue to claim that a DA dog will maul small children for heavens sake. DA & HA two different issues. :mad

Agreed.

A lot of assumptions in this thread..

You don't know why the dog was declared dangerous in the first place (we're talking Victoria after all, might have more to do with the way he looks than what he has 'done'..)

You don't know that the owner wasn't out looking for the dog - hence the reason why he was on the scene so fast

You don't know how the dog slipped out the door

Why presume that the owner doesn't care/won't pay the vet bills?

When did anyone suggest that the owner of the aggressive dog wouldn't pay the vet bills? :confused:

Whether or not he does, the fact is his dog was off-lead and rushed at a woman and her two dogs from behind and proceeded to bite and tear at them. Which, to me at least, is an indicator that the collar was probably not prescribed because of the dog's appearance alone. It was a very aggressive attack.

The owner of the aggressive dog had said that they were keeping the dog inside the house while the new fence was being built and it slipped past as someone opened the door to go into the back yard. It was not tethered or crated, but in the room where a door leads to the outside and probably wanted to go out because it was used to using it. Unfortunately, it also decided to take a walk.

I can't guarantee he wasn't out looking for the dog, however. Though I do think he lives around here.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that, I think it's more that a fragile owner would be less likely to deal with a full-on attack on their dog.

This precisely.

I am not at all trying to suggest the dog is going to go on a murderous rampage through the neighbourhood eating all elderly people and children in sight. I do have good reason to believe it would attack their dogs if they were walking them. I don't think it's rocket science to assume that they would struggle more than the average person to escape that attack, defend their animals and defend themselves if they did anything like what I did and the dog redirected its aggression as you yourself suggested it might, SecretKei. I don't think that's an unreasonable concern.

EDIT: I might also add that I have stated once already in this thread that I've had more positive experience with bull breeds than bad ones (just the other day I had some cuddles with two friendly, obedient and sociable Amstaffs who were out on a walk with their equally as lovely owner). This has nothing to do with breed bias.

Edited by Ruin Maniac

Ruin Maniac, did you get the phone number of the victim yourself? A nice call to the poor lady and her dogs to see how they're doing might be a nice gesture. You could also ask if she's spoken to council in regards to the other dog involved.

I wouldn't like to see the other dog destroyed over this either, however, if it's not going to be properly restrained/fenced in, there's always the chance another attack may occur and prove fatal next time. This lady was lucky the OP heard the commotion and stepped in; I'd hate think of what may have happened if she didn't. :(