Stopped A Dog Attack This Morning...

Ruin Maniac

Why do people continue to claim that a DA dog will maul small children for heavens sake. DA & HA two different issues. :mad

I was going to say that as well, as if a dog doesn't know the difference between a dog & a child.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people continue to do the OMG it attacked a dog, what if it was a kid???

because it's called redirected aggression- it can happen

The post people are replying to, makes no mention of redirected aggression. They said, what if a small child was running ahead of it's parents, no mention of another dog.

This type of stupid comment, is what gets peoples upset.

Edited by mantis

For future reference, if you ever need to break up a dog fight: http://leerburg.com/...kupdogfight.pdf

Grabbing an aggressive dog by the collar is extremely dangerous, I'm glad you weren't injured.

Another good article is this one (an oldie but a goodie): http://www.lgd.org/l...ry/dogfight.htm

Having been bitten years ago by one of my own dogs (accidentally) when trying to break up a fight by grabbing a collar, since then this is a method I have tried to employ.

Sometimes not easy to think clearly when faced with the situation, but it is certainly best to take your time and think how to do it rather than wading straight in (doesn't mean you are acting slowly, just that you are acting with precision).

Luckily I have rarely needed it but it has worked well any time I have used it.

And the recommendation of a cup or glass of something 'soothing' and a good blubber as you get over the adrenaline rush can be good advice too!

To the OP. Good on you for acting in the situation and I am certainly glad you came out unscathed. I too would report it. As a witness I would make a report on any attack where another dog (or person) was injured. I am not going to conjecture about why the attack happened, or why the dog was wearing the collar, or whether or not anyone else will report it and whether there were 'extenuating circumstances' that I don't know about. That is not my role as a witness.

But what you saw as a witness - a description of the people/dogs involved, what you heard and saw, what you did - eg you saw the dog attacking the two others, you pulled the dog off, the dog was wearing a dangerous dog collar, you noted blood from the dog that had been attacked etc is all you can report. What is then done or not done with that information is out of your hands, just as whether anyone else reports it is out of your hands.

Edited by espinay2

The post people are replying to, makes no mention of redirected aggression. They said, what if a small child was running ahead of it's parents, no mention of another dog.

I don't believe it is a stupid comment. Yes, DA and HA are two different things, but dogs not contained properly in their yards can, if escaped, become overly excited and if children were running down the street could start jumping around them and unintentionally hurt them.

Anyway, this has been done to death in so many threads.

RM did a good job in frightening circumstances and those dogs need to be reported.

I don't think you should report it, I think you should leave it up to the victim, or at least find out the full story. For all we know, the dog may have been contained inside, in a room that did not lead directly to the outside, but the tradies may have let him out. I understand a person's responsibility to keep their "dangerous dog" contained (the dog IS in Victoria, it quite possibly only sneezed at someone to be declared dangerous)

However, I know from first hand experience, that tradies don't always pay attention to things like that. For example, there have been several occasions where I have had all the dogs inside with me because they needed access to go in and out the back gate. However, they were also going in and out the front door, and not bothering to close it properly after themselves, on several occasions I had to go get either one of the dogs or the pig off the front porch after they'd pushed the flyscreen open because the tradies had failed to shut it properly.

Can it be reported but in such a way that the guy only gets a warning? He might be more careful in future and that is really all that you want. Perhaps paying the vet's bills might be sufficient.

I once had trouble with a neighbour who thought it was funny that his loose dog would challenge my large on lead dog whenever I left my house to go for a walk. He thought his dog was being so tough. I reported it to the ranger who had a talk with him and I was never bothered again.

Yes it can, hence the reason that children should never walk dogs alone. It's an accident waiting to happen. In fact I think it may even be against the law in some circumstances??

But not in the context suggested of a toddler running down the street ahead of their parent. That's the specific objection, not that redirected aggression is not possible.

There is nothing about this particular incident that implies HA. The opposit if anything, since he let a stranger grab him by the collar and pull him off in the middle of a frenzy.

But not in the context suggested of a toddler running down the street ahead of their parent. That's the specific objection, not that redirected aggression is not possible.

There is nothing about this particular incident that implies HA. The opposit if anything, since he let a stranger grab him by the collar and pull him off in the middle of a frenzy.

Exactly & the OP said that he was really friendly, after she stopped the attack on the dog. To me that shows that it would not suddenly chase down & hurt a child, or human.

Who cares how the bloody dog got out. If you own a declared dog you have to make sure it can never ever be loose again. It attacked two dogs, which could have ended very very badly except for the fact the OP intervened. Dog needs to be PTS and owner fined massively. I couldn't care what breed it is. People are making stupid assunptions, oh we don't know why it was declared, maybe the poor thing sneezed. What rot. It's a declared dangerous dog, let the powers that be do their job and decide on the dogs fate. They will have all the info, not a bunch of zealots on an internet forum.

We do not know what the dog would do or would not do. All we know is what the dog did in that one incident. From that incident we know that the dog attacked two other dogs while running loose and unaccompanied and did enough damage to draw blood. Based on that fact alone, and NOTHING else, this is a reportable incident. Anything else is irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether to report something or not.

Edited by espinay2

dangerous dog - not contained - loose in the street

that's enough to report without mentioning you actually saw it attack some dogs as well.

I have a friend who did not report a certain dog the first time that it attacked her dogs because the owner begged her not to, and more recently it's happened again. But because she didn't report the first one - she's got less leverage to get that dog properly secured.

Yes it can, hence the reason that children should never walk dogs alone. It's an accident waiting to happen. In fact I think it may even be against the law in some circumstances??

I don't agree that children shouldn't be allowed to walk a dog alone- where do you draw the line- we (everyone capable elderly included) should be able to walk our dogs safely without some morons dog running loose.

I believe the law is for no child under the age of 18 to walk a declared dangerous dog- not just any dog.

My bad- yeah, unlikely in that event- I meant redirected onto the handler (child or not)

Who cares how the bloody dog got out. If you own a declared dog you have to make sure it can never ever be loose again. It attacked two dogs, which could have ended very very badly except for the fact the OP intervened. Dog needs to be PTS and owner fined massively. I couldn't care what breed it is. People are making stupid assunptions, oh we don't know why it was declared, maybe the poor thing sneezed. What rot. It's a declared dangerous dog, let the powers that be do their job and decide on the dogs fate. They will have all the info, not a bunch of zealots on an internet forum.

We do not know what the dog would do or would not do. All we know is what the dog did in that one incident. From that incident we know that the dog attacked two other dogs while running loose and unaccompanied and did enough damage to draw blood. Based on that fact alone, and NOTHING else, this is a reportable incident. Anything else is irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether to report something or not.

that's enough to report

^^^ All those above. :thumbsup:

that's enough to report

^^^ All those above. :thumbsup:

+1

+ another 1 to the above.

It's not the tradies responsibility to keep someone's dog contained, especially a declared dangerous one. It's up to the owner to do whatever they need to do to keep the dog contained, no matter what.

My vet in an earlier life used to say that when tradies were around was the most dangerous time for dogs. When I was having renovations a couple of years ago, I tried not to have to leave the house when they were here. If they had to leave the side gates open for ease of moving materials, the dogs were shut in a bedroom; if they had to have the front doors open for ease of movement, the dogs were shut out on the deck. Only if 100% unavoidable did I leave the house and spoke to every tradesmen checking that they didn't have to use the side gates or the front door. Even then, the whole time I was out, I was sick with worry. Only happened a couple of times - that was enough. :(

"Dog needs to be PTS and owner fined massively. I couldn't care what breed it is. People are making stupid assunptions"

Thats a pritty big assumption aswell with absolutely zero knowledge of the dogs hystory we have decided it needs to be PTS anyways hopefuly the little dogs are fully ecovered and the lady wasnt to upset from the obviously scary situation.