Best Puppy Kibble For Bitch At 30 Days Gestatipn

dogmate

Hi,

Both my mentors use pedigree puppy kibble and advanced puppy kibble just wondering what others feed pregnant botches then the pups when old enough in the way of puppy kibble. I want quality not that fussed on price just want to do the best. She of course will still get meat and bones etc just wondering what kibble my vet said start her on puppy food and when there i thought yep no worries then driving home i thought hang on which one....

I don't use puppy food at all either. At 30 days I won't have changed the bitch's diet at all - nothing different here until 6 or 7 weeks depending on the bitch & how many she looks like she's carrying and at that point they will get a little more food (increasing it slowly) but the part I increase is the high quality protein.

I would never feed an in whelp bitch puppy food. Bitches in whelp need a complete diet of good quality food.

Puppy food is for rearing puppies and then it needs to be of good quality with a not to high protien intake. :)

we've got our girl on her regular food but extra calcium and extras such as rice and pasta and a bit of tin to encourage her to eat.. we havent changed her diet except the quantity and the tin as we've never fed tin but we're having trouble getting her to eat..

we've got our girl on her regular food but extra calcium and extras such as rice and pasta and a bit of tin to encourage her to eat.. we havent changed her diet except the quantity and the tin as we've never fed tin but we're having trouble getting her to eat..

I wouldn't be feeding a pregnant bitch extra calcium, additional calcium during pregnancy can quickly lead to all sorts of whelping and post-whelping problems up to and including uterine inertia & eclampsia. And IMO a pregnant bitch doesn't need to be filled up with useless filler carbs such as pasta & rice - feed her food she can digest with the least possible bulk is my belief.

Edited by Sandra777

I wouldn't be feeding a pregnant bitch extra calcium, additional calcium during pregnancy can quickly lead to all sorts of whelping and post-whelping problems up to and including uterine inertia & eclampsia. And IMO a pregnant bitch doesn't need to be filled up with useless filler carbs such as pasta & rice - feed her food she can digest with the least possible bulk is my belief.

under suggestion from our vet we were told things like yoghurt and a bit of calcium carbonate would do her some good especially for the period of gestation whilst the babies are developing their bones.

she loves her rice and pasta I'm not depriving her of things she enjoys as its one of the few things she will eat willingly. I'm sorry there's no set mind map for each bitch, each is different we're listening to our vet as well as past experience with litters.

under suggestion from our vet we were told things like yoghurt and a bit of calcium carbonate would do her some good especially for the period of gestation whilst the babies are developing their bones.

she loves her rice and pasta I'm not depriving her of things she enjoys as its one of the few things she will eat willingly. I'm sorry there's no set mind map for each bitch, each is different we're listening to our vet as well as past experience with litters.

Not saying there is smisch just saying what I wouldn't be doing.

You did say you were feeding her extras such as calcium and pasta and rice, not that pasta and rice were old favourites :D

Yoghurt, bones, milk, cheese is not the same as "extra calcium" to me - but my opinion remains the same re non-food items of calcium supplementation such as calcium carbonate (backed by my vet) :)

If it works it works - now what was the original question :laugh: