Vegetarian Dogs?

poochiemama

I've fed my dogs raw for the last year and on the whole, they've been doing well (although they could lose some weight). But recently I've found myself increasingly appalled by what I'm reading on factory farming of animals and animal cruelty in the meat industry. It's really made me think twice about eating meat. I can't bear the thought of puppy mills, and I thought to myself that many animals are treated just as badly in meat industry.

Anyway I'm turning vegetarian and now am wondering about whether I should feed dogs vegetarian too. But I wouldn't want to deprive them of anything. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

I'm a vego but my dogs aren't. im sure this question has been asked a few times on DOL. Perhaps do a search in here or in the health section :)

One of our cavs has a liver problem atm because of some toxin buildup issue, now i'm paranoid that perhaps its her diet i've been giving her over the years. (Altho they think its come on recently). But who knows*sigh*. I've personally never particularly trusted any meat products at the best of times..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I just found this in the health section, I'm going have a read of it myself because the poster says about their dog has liver problems too!

http://www.dolforums..._1#entry5482790

Im sure there are a few other threads too on the subject, ive just done a quick search in here and in health section for a couple of them..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

you should see my thoughts on this in the other thread, but IMO feeding a dog (a carnivore - however opportunistic they may be) on a vegetarian diet, just because you don't want to kill another animal (and not for any specific medical reason which may predispose an individual to a specific diet which may not be normal or even possibly healthy for the average dog) is not the right thing to do. If you are worried about factory farming, by all means seek alternative sources of meat to feed your dog (not really that hard to find!). And seek ways to give thanks to the animals that give their lives so you can keep an opportunistic carnivore as a pet. And as a former vegetarian let me say I have no problem with you eating a vegetarian diet yourself for whatever reason. But please think VERY hard before you go down the vegetarian path with your dog as it is not a natural way of life that you would be subjecting them to, and IMO may be just as bad as subjecting an animal to life in a feedlot being fed unnaturally on lots of grain as in the same way you are making them eat a diet that is not natural to them, however 'well formulated' it is for your purpose.As always, JMHO.

Edited by espinay2

but IMO feeding a dog (a carnivore - however opportunistic they may be) on a vegetarian diet, just because you don't want to kill another animal (and not for any specific medical reason which may predispose an individual to a specific diet which may not be normal or even possibly healthy for the average dog) is not the right thing to do. If you are worried about factory farming, by all means seek alternative sources of meat to feed your dog (not really that hard to find!). And seek ways to give thanks to the animals that give their lives so you can keep an opportunistic carnivore as a pet. And as a former vegetarian, let me say I have no problem with you eating a vegetarian diet yourself for whatever reason. But please think VERY hard before you go down the vegetarian path with your dog as it is not a natural way of life that you would be subjecting them to, and IMO may be just as bad as subjecting an animal to life in a feedlot being fed unnaturally on lots of grain as in the same way you are making them eat a diet that is not natural to them, however 'well formulated' it is for your purpose

Very Well Put.

I agree.

Choose free range meats...

And kangaroo. No feedlots or factory farming there.

Feral Goat ..

Depending on where you are situated, you may also be able to source wild rabbits ..?

Absolutely pers.. Ziggy gets loads of roo now..it is probably his favourite food.

He gets the human grade stuff only because I don't think it smells as strong as the pet stuff you can buy..

Guest Labradork

I was a vegetarian for many years but, for dietary reasons, I now eat fish and free-range chicken (organic where possible).

I too am disgusted by the factory farming industry and that's why I don't eat red meat. Free-range and/or certified organic usually guarantees better standards.

I used to feed my dogs a raw diet but touching/handling raw meat grosses me out too much, so now I feed mostly dry food (Holistic Select).

I believe that dogs are obligate carnivores, which means they can eat vegetables to survive but their bodies are optimised for meat protein. And I wouldn't deprive my dogs of what I believe is their natural/intended diet.

Edited by Labradork

I've fed my dogs raw for the last year and on the whole, they've been doing well (although they could lose some weight). But recently I've found myself increasingly appalled by what I'm reading on factory farming of animals and animal cruelty in the meat industry. It's really made me think twice about eating meat. I can't bear the thought of puppy mills, and I thought to myself that many animals are treated just as badly in meat industry.

Anyway I'm turning vegetarian and now am wondering about whether I should feed dogs vegetarian too. But I wouldn't want to deprive them of anything. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

Id love to swap my dogs, at least minimise their animal product intake but havent had the time to invest in the research. So if you do swap can u let me know how u go??

Dont go reading up about all the chemicals and what they do to your vegetables then you'll stop eating all together.

There's more to suffering then a pair of brown eyes and lashes. Your dogs shouldn't have to suffer an unnatural diet because of what people read on the internet. Worry about your own dogs health BEFORE anything else.