Vegetarian Dogs?

poochiemama

I too am disgusted by the factory farming industry and that's why I don't eat red meat. .

is factory farming a problem with cattle? Whenever I worked in pastoral areas of NSW all I saw was miles of cattle hanging out in paddocks. Seemed a pretty good life to me but I'm not clued in on these things so genuine question.

I'd like to feed the dogs more roo, especially since we have a friend who goes shooting, but they just don't like it :grimace:

Edited by Weasels

Guest Labradork

I too am disgusted by the factory farming industry and that's why I don't eat red meat. .

is factory farming a problem with cattle? Whenever I worked in pastoral areas of NSW all I saw was miles of cattle hanging out in paddocks. Seemed a pretty good life to me but I'm not clued in on these things so genuine question.

I'd like to feed the dogs more roo, especially since we have a friend who goes shooting, but they just don't like it :grimace:

I'm sorry, it's a long story and it's too weird and complicated to explain...and I don't think anyone would understand.

You just have to do what is right for you :)

Edited by Labradork

No hanging out in paddocks on a feedlot.

main.jpg

No hanging out in paddocks on a feedlot.

main.jpg

Oh :( So what is the difference with the enterprises I was seeing? Which is more prevalent in Aust?

often beef cattle/sheep are 'finished' in a feedlot ..for 6 weeks or so , after spending their growing on pasture/rangelands.

Other times, they can be weaned into a feedlot .....

'grain fed' usually means feedlotted .

Feedlot cattle are fed an unnatural , grain rich diet ..with little roughage , so their digestive system does not work as it should , and to avoid problems they are fed additional chemicals to 'assist' digestion of all this grain based food (which makes for rapid growth and more fat in meat)

Most feedlot cattle are in large pens with no shade ..and they walk/sleep on accumulated dung .

Breathing this dust is not so healthy ...cattle can get lung problems.

It's not a wonderful life .

I was watching a program today where one property feedlots 5,000 cattle !!!

Edited by persephone

Cows/sheep/horses cause a lot of environmental damage as hooved animals are not native to Australia. They are also very energy intensive to raise when you look at how many people you can feed from one cow. I couldn't really imagine a dog killing a cow so am not sure beef is an essential part of a dog's diet. Roo/rabbit would probably be a better source of protein, and better for the environment and the animal probably had a more natural life in the wild.

My dog in PNG when I was growing up was feed mackerel and rice and vegetable scraps. Very healthy all her life, rarely saw a vet and even survived eating rat poison.

And factory farming is not something you just read about on the internet - it is real. Pigs and chickens in particular suffer greatly in the quest to increase profits. Very sad :(

I do have to admit to being stunned that anyone would even consider feeding an animal, that has essentially evolved as a predator and therefore mostly carnivorous, anything other than what that animal is designed to eat? Why do we humans feel it OK to inflict our lifestyle choices on our pets, who rely on us to feed them?

If your dog is eating factory farmed animals and it bothers you, what's wrong with the range of free range meat available these days?

Humans don't poop in the backyard and sniff each others bums and dogs are not vegetarian. :doh:

Cows/sheep/horses cause a lot of environmental damage as hooved animals are not native to Australia. They are also very energy intensive to raise when you look at how many people you can feed from one cow. I couldn't really imagine a dog killing a cow so am not sure beef is an essential part of a dog's diet. Roo/rabbit would probably be a better source of protein, and better for the environment and the animal probably had a more natural life in the wild.

My dog in PNG when I was growing up was feed mackerel and rice and vegetable scraps. Very healthy all her life, rarely saw a vet and even survived eating rat poison.

And factory farming is not something you just read about on the internet - it is real. Pigs and chickens in particular suffer greatly in the quest to increase profits. Very sad :(

Yep. No animal is safe these days, it's just the way we farm.:(

Of course, other than free range, which, although no perfect is a lot better.

I am vegan but I feed my dogs meat as I don't feel it's my place to dictate what they eat to that extent. Plus they love it too much and I love them so I don't want to deprive them of their nommy bones.:laugh:

Having said that I have met vegetarian dogs who were healthy and happy, it takes a lot of work and research though.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your responses. I am going to continue to feed raw for now. But it's not about 'imposing' my lifestyle on the dogs... I think it's our responsibility to ask questions about what we are feeding our dogs, be it kibble, raw, meat , whatever.

I lived in India on and off for a decade and believe me, scores of dogs are vego over there, scrounging and living on scraps from the rubbish. The rubbish doesn't contain much meat or protein scraps because a majority of people are vegetarian. They certainly can live on a vegie diet even scrounging (which obviously yours wouldn't) but they really didn't look very well.

Many of the caatle I sold/sell go straight to slaughter from the paddock.

I have sold cattle into feed lots.

Wild rabbit and roo are freely available to purchase down here. Locally shot and butchered straight into the freezer. There are otehr options you just have to be prepared to looka nd maybe go out of your way a bit/pay more to get options that are the more ethical choice for you. I think if you wish to feed a dog a vegatarian diet then you should look at getting a vegetarian pet.