Cruciate Ligament Torn

juice

A friend came over to me on our walk tonight to ask for advice, about his elderly husky, at least 13yrs old.

"Trin" his old girl was playing with 2 very big labs on friday ( i avoid them, pita, and over 50kgs :( ), he bent down to poop scoop and when he looked up she was wimpering and holding her back leg up.

he took her to the emergency vet, not our normal one, who did x-rays and said it was her cruciate, and would cost $3000 to fix.

she is on meds ,something beginning with P, i forgot.

she is very doddery, i have known her the last 10 yrs, lovely old chook who potters around the oval each night, she is arthtitic too.

He said he doesn't want to put her through the surgery if he can give her a pain free life without it.Can you? or is surgery the only way.

Any suggestions?

Edited by juice

Whats a brace Pers? do they have to be made to measure?

Can she be on pain relief indefinatley?

She is a sweetheart, i always say she is a "faulty husky" as she follows him everywhere offlead, loves everyone, so quiet, i am sure she doesn't think she is a husky :laugh:

My dog did one cruciate, and I had the TPLO surgery done. Then she did the second one and I opted for medical management. She was on anti-inflammatories for a fortnight to settle the initial swelling and pain. Now she is on Sashas Blend and glucosamine. She is totally sound but I do have to be careful about how much exercise she does. I also keep her lean to take the pressure off the joints.

Brace idea link

The MuttKnee Brace is intended to help and improve the quality of life for dogs that have injured their knees and surgery is not a feasible option. It is NOT a medical device.

The MuttKnee Brace is a supportive brace that stabilizes your dog's injured knee and helps to reduce the pain associated with the unstable knee joint and allows your dog to walk on all four legs again. Some dogs injure one knee and then injure the other knee as a result of unequal distribution of their weight. We are also able to make a double brace for dogs with both of their knees either weak or injured and in need of support.

Any chance they have pet insurance? Panto is 10, and I felt the same way about her having surgery, but she is so much better now with it and is like a new dog. We got 2/3 or a little over back from insurance. Together with stem cell therapy she might be a new dog altogether.

Is his concern more about putting her through the surgery or the cost of the surgery?

eta: how much are the braces? they sound great!

Edited by Panto

Sorry to hear :(

As other have mentioned they could try conservative management- cage rest initially, painkillers/anti inflammatories, strapping/support and then physio later on.

This is usually more successful with smaller, lighter dogs though.

It is unlikely to ever be completely stable without surgery. If cost is a concern, I think they could probably get it for less than what have they have been quoted if they shop around.

I have seen plenty of older dogs undergo cruciate surgery and most seem to recover very quickly. Generally with the TTA and TPLO procedure they tend to get back to weight bearing on the leg quicker.