Ticks!ticks!ticks!

dogbesotted

Guys just a question I just pulled a tick off rogue but he nocked me and I dropped the bugger.. He is barking ok little bit of heavy breathing but he vomited this morning i thought he ate too quick but now i wonder if its from the tick and I just found vomit in his run.. The tick from what I saw was half engorged i think blue /grey in. Colour . Had a good hold of him and left quite a mark when I got it off.. .. Should I take him to the vet just in case or would the signs of paralysis tick be more noticeable .. He went for a bushy walk this morning ..

I would go to the vet. The blue/ grey color is not good and the vomit is not a good sign either. Better get the vet have a look before you have to go to the after hour emergency clinic. Although when I took mine it was just before 6pm, he was already grunting and very slow, but they told to go back home with him and keep an eye on him until it get worseicon_smile_mad.gif (they did not want to work overtimeconfused.gif). Back home I was not sure what to look for, but kept asking him to come to see How he was walking. Still not sure. Tried to sleep on the lounge with him on my lap until it was too much, at about 3am, I drove him to the Emergency clinic where the vet treated him immediately.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was unsure with the vomit but wasn't sure if they did that with any tick.. I'll just go to the vet otherwise I'll be worried sick ..:-)

Just straight to the vet. Hope everythings ok :crossfingers:

Edited by stans mum

That's great dogbesotted, at least he is showing improvement.

Hope he doesn't have another tick. With one of mine, although she was obviously envenomated, I could not find the tick, the vet couldn't find it either, so she was clipped to the skin. No tick. He treated her anyhow. The next day, he found it - in the depression beside the point of the hock ..... it must have been too small to see before. The buggers here are so nasty they can kill when they are tiddlers.

Mystiqueview, you must be my neighbour!!

Fingers crossed for HHH's recovery.

Haha.. If you are up around Samford Valley way.. quite possible

Thinking of you. I know the pain of dogs at the vets on a drip.

Even with my guys still on Proban. We are pulling two-three ticks per day off each dog here. They are checked morning and night without fail. They are mostly nymphs and unfed adult females we are getting.

We are in high tick country where I am. Our vets do not rely on any of the products as they are seeing case upon case of tick paralysis from animals with all sorts of treatment.

Nothing is 100% effective against them.

My neighbour, who works for a pet supply company, told me the other day that they were some news going on that something had been developed and should be on the market mid-year next year.thumbsup1.gif Don't know more, but hope it is right and very effective. Can't wait.

Did not find any this year, but had one dog treated last year and don't want to go there again.

Good luck and quick recovery to the poor affected dogs.

I had heard rumour of a vaccine being developed but it is still a few years off yet and still requiring necessary testing etc before it can be released.

We were sent home he isn't showing any signs but I have to monitor him anyway just incase..

Bit of a rush as it was almost 6 but he does seem fine... Hope he stays that way..

Guys just a question I just pulled a tick off rogue but he nocked me and I dropped the bugger.. He is barking ok little bit of heavy breathing but he vomited this morning i thought he ate too quick but now i wonder if its from the tick and I just found vomit in his run.. The tick from what I saw was half engorged i think blue /grey in. Colour . Had a good hold of him and left quite a mark when I got it off.. .. Should I take him to the vet just in case or would the signs of paralysis tick be more noticeable .. He went for a bushy walk this morning ..

I would go to the vet. The blue/ grey color is not good and the vomit is not a good sign either. Better get the vet have a look before you have to go to the after hour emergency clinic. Although when I took mine it was just before 6pm, he was already grunting and very slow, but they told to go back home with him and keep an eye on him until it get worseicon_smile_mad.gif (they did not want to work overtimeconfused.gif). Back home I was not sure what to look for, but kept asking him to come to see How he was walking. Still not sure. Tried to sleep on the lounge with him on my lap until it was too much, at about 3am, I drove him to the Emergency clinic where the vet treated him immediately.

Gosh these things are horrid :(

We went to Byron Bay for a holiday last year around this time and spent a few days up in Nimbin. My OH found a tick crawling up his shirt and then the next morning I had to rip one out of his neck :mad

Some German guys at the hostel we were staying in were in tents (we had a cabin) and they were getting up every monring COVERED in the things. Horrible.

Thinking of all the affected hounds and hoping for quick recoveries

Guest donatella

:eek:

I don't let mine anywhere near bushland, i'm too scared, especially in SEQ, the bloody ticks around here just seem to be quadrupling.

I,m glad to say my girl has improved today. She has eaten 2 meals and kept them down. There is still some heavy breathing but I think she has turned the corner.

I,m a bit worried now as I found a large dead tick on one of my gsd,s today. I had washed and rinsed with Nucidol on Tuesday so looks like I killed it then.

This is the first time in over 13 years I have had paralysis ticks on my animals, grass ticks abound here but feed and drop off. I wonder if the increasing Roo population has anything to do with it.

We were sent home he isn't showing any signs but I have to monitor him anyway just incase..

Bit of a rush as it was almost 6 but he does seem fine... Hope he stays that way..

That's what I was told. The vet did not see any physical sign but I knew he was not the same hyper he used to. In the afternoon, my OH came back from a walk and said that he found him a lot slower than he used to. That's when I remembered I saw him licking one of his paw a lot the day before. I had checked but found nothing. I checked it better that afternoon and find the little nasty deep inside between two "toes". During the evening and the night I checked the internet for the sign I was supposed to expect as I was mainly waiting for him to be unstable on his hind. That's when I read somewhere that it could be the last sign before it gets very bad, that I did decide to go to the UQ Clinic. I just knew he was not the same bouncy JRT he usually is. We only had them for 2 to 3 months and there was no way I was going to be too late.

I hope you found the tick early enough and it is all going to be good.

Yeah I was unsure with the vomit but wasn't sure if they did that with any tick.. I'll just go to the vet otherwise I'll be worried sick ..:-)

Always a good move. Best to get it checked over than to let it get worse.

The problem with many cases of tick poisoning, is people find the first one or two, but fail to find any possible remaining ticks and the animal is still getting poisoned.

Don't forget by nature they also attack muscle (including heart/lung) and it is important to keep the dog rested and calm for two weeks after a tick poisoning. If there is any sign of poisoning, please keep them rested.

I don't let mine anywhere near bushland, i'm too scared, especially in SEQ, the bloody ticks around here just seem to be quadrupling.

You can get them in the inner city suburbs of Brisbane. They do not need to be in "Bush" to get a tick.

Native animals are natural hosts to them. So if you have possums, flying foxes, crows, magpies, bandicoots etc, you can still get ticks in your area.

And as far as Advantix, Frontline Plus, Preventic and Kill-tick collars. They only assist in prevention. I know of people who have found ticks UNDER a new-ish tick collar. For those who have found "success" you may be lucky. There are plenty who follow the instructions carefully for all the tick preventatives and still end up with their pets at the vet on a drip.

Would it be too much to put a tick collar on aswell as using advantix 2 weekly? The vet suggested we use one also. Chemicals chemicals..

Since the tick fell onto our lawn hubby was paranoid about it jumping on him again so put another advantix treatment on.. He had his last treatment last Thursday ( could if sworn it was sat lol ) was that a bad idea ?? I'm a bit worried about overdosing him with it I hate chemicals as it is ..

Hope everyone that comes across ticks has a good outcome... Scary things ticks...

You can get them in the inner city suburbs of Brisbane. They do not need to be in "Bush" to get a tick.

Native animals are natural hosts to them. So if you have possums, flying foxes, crows, magpies, bandicoots etc, you can still get ticks in your area.

And as far as Advantix, Frontline Plus, Preventic and Kill-tick collars. They only assist in prevention. I know of people who have found ticks UNDER a new-ish tick collar. For those who have found "success" you may be lucky. There are plenty who follow the instructions carefully for all the tick preventatives and still end up with their pets at the vet on a drip.

I,m glad to say my girl has improved today. She has eaten 2 meals and kept them down. There is still some heavy breathing but I think she has turned the corner.

I,m a bit worried now as I found a large dead tick on one of my gsd,s today. I had washed and rinsed with Nucidol on Tuesday so looks like I killed it then.

This is the first time in over 13 years I have had paralysis ticks on my animals, grass ticks abound here but feed and drop off. I wonder if the increasing Roo population has anything to do with it.

Hope she is better this morning.

I live in a very high tick area here on the Central Coast, one street from the beach in the middle of suburbia but my vet cannot beleive the amount of tick cases he has had this year :(

I was in my vets a couple of nights ago - my vet said they have been inundated with tick cases, it's far worse this year than normal but also that the tick poison seems to be stronger, they are losing animals more quickly.

I asked if the animals coming in had been properly covered with tick protection and she said that although the owners had sometimes given their animals tick protection that they hadn't been vigilant in repeating at the right time.

My friend lost her indoor cat on Saturday - a few days before the little cat had escaped into the garden, she checked but didn't find a tick and then suddenly the cat was unwell so up to the vets and on a drip for 3 days but then she suddenly became worse and died. Very sad as she was a beautiful natured girl and rescued from the pound last year.

Another friend in the same area just had a tick on her little dog and the dog spent 5 days on a drip in the vet, touch and go. To my amazement my friend had not given her dogs tick protection ...

Georgie is fine this morning, she has her voice back :laugh: but is a bit tired which is understandable. These ticks are a bit of a worry as we have a large cleared grassed area and my dogs do not go into the bush.

mo4g, I had a cat treated many years ago, he was much worse and took awhile to recover.Recently someone I know couldnt/wouldnt afford to get their dog treated at the vet and that dog took 6 days to get over it.

I think you have used enough Advantix for now, sometimes ticks dont drop off but are still dead.And yes in my experience ticks do get under tick collars.I think a daily checking over is the go for me now.

I was in my vets a couple of nights ago - my vet said they have been inundated with tick cases, it's far worse this year than normal but also that the tick poison seems to be stronger, they are losing animals more quickly.

I asked if the animals coming in had been properly covered with tick protection and she said that although the owners had sometimes given their animals tick protection that they hadn't been vigilant in repeating at the right time.

My friend lost her indoor cat on Saturday - a few days before the little cat had escaped into the garden, she checked but didn't find a tick and then suddenly the cat was unwell so up to the vets and on a drip for 3 days but then she suddenly became worse and died. Very sad as she was a beautiful natured girl and rescued from the pound last year.

Another friend in the same area just had a tick on her little dog and the dog spent 5 days on a drip in the vet, touch and go. To my amazement my friend had not given her dogs tick protection ...

My dog had a canula put in and the anti tick serum was administered slowly over an hour. She had the purified anti tick serum because of her age and her damaged throat. Also I nursed her the whole time and bought her home afterwards as she stresses out at the vets.I used to think they used a trip but apparently not.