What Shampoo Do You Use And Why?

skyehaven

I use Goat's milk baby wash on my dog with sensitive skin. It's very mild and apparently Goat's Milk creates a protective layer on the dog's skin that can help protect from contact allergies. His skin is good on it, so I keep using it.

The other dog I use Vets All Natural dog wash, because it's not harsh on the dog's skin or coat.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my Poodle I am using Paw shampoo and conditioner, on the Border Collies it varies with what I am doing with them. I have recently been using Hartz. Only because I bought 6 bottles cheap!

What's the Hartz like? I saw Pet Deals (or whatever it's called) had it half price and was considering getting a few bottles to try.

Well I am a basd owner and rarely bath my dog. She swims in saltwater frequently though, which helps.

I would use Mediderm shampoo and nutriderm conditioner if I did bath her- she is atopic.

Apparently frequent bathing can help some atopic dogs, but this isn't the case for mine, she seems to do better with swimming in the sea each day rather than bathing.

When mine are showing they are bathed once a week, when not in the ring anything from two weeks to two months (depends on individual coat quantity and moults/seed season etc).

Just lately I've been using Sunsilk shampoo and am really loving it. And Pantene conditioner. Over summer I use heavier conditioner as I can get away with longer between baths - but the longer drying time means I use lighter horse ones in winter.

• 9 months later...

I love the plush puppy products.

But don't use them often at all.

I also love the aloveen shampoo and conditioner.

The smell of it is my favourite :)

and i use the conditioner as a leave in.

But I have currently been using fido's tea tree shampoo :)

Bath my poodles fortnightly most of the time. Use any human shampoo for dry hair that I use on myself sunsilk, pantene, palmolive etc. About a tablespoon diluted in a 2 litre jug of warm water. No skin problems with any of them at all & its only on them for half a minute & then they get a really thorough rinse.

Never used any flea stuff or chemicals on them as I haven't seen a flea on my dogs for about 20 years. Guess its what suits the individual dog.

My two youngsters will be 12 months old on 25th of this month, and have never had a bath in their lives. Tibetan Terriers have no doggy odour and at the moment smell quite fresh, and their coats are so shiny. They run around our huge yard, which is so dry at the moment the grass has almost turned to dust, but they have a dirt repelling coat so the dust doesn't stick to their fur. They are clipped short and just slicker brushed every now and then.

My two youngsters will be 12 months old on 25th of this month, and have never had a bath in their lives. Tibetan Terriers have no doggy odour and at the moment smell quite fresh, and their coats are so shiny. They run around our huge yard, which is so dry at the moment the grass has almost turned to dust, but they have a dirt repelling coat so the dust doesn't stick to their fur. They are clipped short and just slicker brushed every now and then.

How do you keep their nether regions clean if they never have a bath? Just wondering... My curly coated dog even though clipped short around his bottom needs a clean up around there at least once a week and I find its nicer to give him a bath weekly.

How do you keep their nether regions clean if they never have a bath? Just wondering... My curly coated dog even though clipped short around his bottom needs a clean up around there at least once a week and I find its nicer to give him a bath weekly.

They never seem to get dirty bottoms, but if they do it gets washed off or wiped off, the hair around their bums is #10 blade short, and their coats grow to about 3/4" before I they are clipped all over again. all my dogs live in the house with us, so are kept clean. The others get bathed whenever they need it. For them I use the pink Johnsons conditioning baby shampoo with a few drops of eucalyptus oil in it, the same as I will use for the two youngsters.

All Plush Puppy products.

I currently use aloveen because i read rave reviews about it. Its good and smells nice but my dog scratches even when there are no fleas.

Alot of people here recommend Fidos or Plush Puppy. Has anyone had any success with less scratching when they switch over to these? I went to the plush puppy site and there is a "Sensitive Skin Shampoo". Wonder whether this will do the trick

I don't have a hydrobath so can I still use Fidos?

Edited by giraffez

Three of my dogs get bathed weekly to fortnightly, one gets done twice a week and the short coat chi every month or so.

For the three coated, no skin problem dogs I use either Biogroom or Chris Christesen shampoo and conditioner.

The boy with skin problems gets A Malaseb bath once a week and his other weekly bath I use Pethead oatmeal and aloe shampoo.

The chi gets any of the above except Malaseb.

I personally wouldn't use Aloveen shampoo I have seen way too many dogs end up with dry itchy skin from using it, the conditioner is great.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I currently use aloveen because i read rave reviews about it. Its good and smells nice but my dog scratches even when there are no fleas.

Alot of people here recommend Fidos or Plush Puppy. Has anyone had any success with less scratching when they switch over to these? I went to the plush puppy site and there is a "Sensitive Skin Shampoo". Wonder whether this will do the trick

I don't have a hydrobath so can I still use Fidos?

I had an 'itchy' dog in the past, and he was always fine with the Fido's Tea Tree (i am not sure if that is the exact name of it, but it is tea tree and eucalyptus, green in colour.)

You can definitely still use this even without a hydrobath :)

Plush Puppy and Chris Christiansen for the most part, but I also love the Fidos Herbal Rinse.

Just recently I have been trialling the Panagenics products and have been pretty impressed.

That stuff is amazing. I use it on the Gooberdog and his coat feels so beautiful afterwards.

I'm back to using the Fido's White and Bright with the herbal rinse and he looks better than with anything else I've used.

I make my own. No soap or harsh chemicals and essential oil blends - can be used on all animals and one is even good for anxious dogs. I've only just started to sell it - works in well with the Lavender Farm. smile.gif

For maintenance baths I love Kohnkes Kleen Sheen shampoo. Another horse product. But designed for everyday use on racehorses, ph balanced and gentle. But really good for getting them clean.

For show baths I follow up with a Champion Tails Silver shampoo. But I still love Pantene conditioners...