Maybe Is Sick :(

mixeduppup

A few days ago Maybe developed a weird sore on her nose/in her nostril. Pussy and weeping. I applied neocort twice a day but it didn't improve. I looked for any foreign body like a grass seed, but couldn't find anything. Since Thursday afternoon she has been really quiet for her, she's normally jumping around, acts like the mascot for Redbull, typical kelpie. Instead of jumping the fence like she usually does to get up the back, she's been walking through the gate, she hasn't been interested in watching the bunnies and normally begs you to throw a ball but since thursday hasn't asked once. Then yesterday evening her eyes started weeping quite badly. I put some eye antibiotic cream in them but no change and her nose has seemed to have worsened today (crusty, swollen and red on the right side nostril area). I'll be taking her to the vet on Monday morning. She's currently asleep at my feet and usually she's outside all day and won't come in. It could be a grass seed that I'm just not seeing. Any other ideas?

:( sounds as if she has a majorly painful infection .

What's her temperature?

if it's up ..I would be off to a vet if you can at all... sinus/nose/eye infections are not nice .

Do you have any non acidic vit.C ? if there is no way you can see a vet, that may help ...as will keeping her very cool and hydrated ..let her drink low lactose milk, chicken stock (no salt) , water with a tiny bit of vegemite in smoothies , with mince , egg & veggies ....

Do you have any Silver colloid ? That's good for both internal & external application -I've used it on mastitis, cat abscesses, eye infections..all sorts.

I would be keeping her cool and comfortable until you get to the vet tomorrow. Do you have any vitamin C around? It may help her feel a bit better in the meantime.

An exhibitor at a show last week was telling how his whippet had a grass seed abscess come up in the side of his face, sort of under his ear. He had several surgeries trying to clear it out. It sounded to me like it may have got in there through the back corner of his mouth but i don't know.

eta - snap on the vit C Pers!!

Edited by Alyosha

I have some non acidic vitamin C so I will give that to her. I can't get to the vet until Monday, so until then will be doing all I can. i'll keep her int he aircon until then. I've got some home made chicken stock so will get that. I have no silver Colloid

I'd be thinking to leave it alone until Monday.

if it's a grass seed abscess, and it bursts internally, you'll be dealing with a potentially major infection.

Keep her cool and quiet and hope that Monday is soon enough. She doesn't sound at all well.

If the wound is open a potato poultice is good for most infections, bee stings, bug bites, swollen spider bites, abscesses etc, anything that needs to be drained but if its up her nose that's a more difficult ask and may not be able to use it .If you can though its instant relief and works pretty quickly sucks out the foreign body and also the poison.

Edited by Steve

She's currently playing with the cat and appears happy just not herself. I think I know where the thermometer is so will go and have a search. thanks everyone

Glands under her neck and throat will tell you if its an infection too.

If the wound is open a potato poultice is good for most infections, bee stings, bug bites, swollen spider bites, abscesses etc, anything that needs to be drained but if its up her nose that's a more difficult ask and may not be able to use it .If you can though its instant relief and works pretty quickly sucks out the foreign body and also the poison.

Brilliant, just raw potatoe? thank you

You need to grate it and put it in between gauze and cover it with glad wrap - you can either hold it there if she will stay still for a few hours or wrap it around with vet wrap or similar .Change it ever few hours.