Looking For Info On Buying Dog Clippers

pipsqueak

A friend has a maltese cross poodle. They live in an area where there are few groomers. Is it possible for a "normal" (ie., non-groomer) to learn to clip their own dog? They dog want to keep the coat ultra short - just slightly short and a little bit shaggy.

If it is possible, what sort of clippers/blades should they be looking for? How much are they looking at spending. They are a bit freaked out at the thought of using clippers, as they are fearful that they might cut the dog - how much of a possibility is this? The dog is very used to being handled, is normally trimmed with scissors, but has been clipped a few times.

If they're after a "shaggy" look, then just use scissors and forget the clippers.

http://clipperbladesharpening.webs.com/groomingscissors.htm

You can buy comb attachments to clippers, for longer fur, but these only cut thru fur that's immaculately clean and totally knot-free!

(I don't use them on my poodles).

Clippers are good for around the face, tummy, backside etc.

Something like these: http://clipperworld.com.au/clippers/wahl-km2-two-speed-p1.html

PLUS blades. You'd need a #10 to go quite short on a poodleX.

Not likely to cut the dog with a #10.

Human clippers and any pet ones under $150 are a waste of money.

They won't cut the fur properly (if at all), making it miserable for both you and the dog.

If they want to do a longer cut, the thing to remember with clippers is that it has to be free of knots and well combed out for the blade to go through. The blade has to go under the knots and won't easily (or if at all) clip through them.

It is easier to clip a clean and well combed out coat. IF it is diry/matted, they will have to go the short route and shave it off (or spend the time to wash and comb it all out first).

They are better off getting a decent set of clippers than a cheaper set. More power and better cutting action and will be easier to use. An Andis 2 speed is my personal choice (Clipperworld has a good range of clippers and accessories)

In these types on clippers, a #10 blade is what you would use for sanitary areas and feet etc. This cuts it fairly short.

If you were doing a short clip on the dog, you would usually use a #7 blade (or a #10 if they are very matted).

For slightly longer, you would use a #4 or a #5.

You can also use a #10 blade with a snap on plastic comb. This way you can make the cut longer too. The snap on combs definitely need a clean and well brushed out coat to be effective.

Yes, a 'normal' person can learn to clip their dog, though may never be as proficient or fast if they don't get the regular practice. What can take 10 to 30 minutes for a pro groomer can take two hours or more for someone who is not proficient. You should get faster with time though.

You CAN cut or burn a dog with clipper blades, so you have to take your time and stop to let the blade cool down if it gets too hot (pro groomers usually have multiple blades and switch between them so they stay fairly cool on the dog). Main danger points are around skin folds, ears, legs and underneath.

Grooming on a table will make the job a bit easier and less back breaking (as a rule though a sore back is a given).

There will be plenty of instructionals on the net on how to clip a dog, so perhaps a google search will turn up a few useful things.

Besides the clippers they will also need to buy a good pair of scissors for the feet/face .

Nail clippers & ear pluckers.

Clippers come with a #10 blade normally so they will also need to buy additional blades .

Yes they can cut the dog whether it be with the clippers or scissors & the risk is higher with an untrained dog & nervous groomer.

It can be done but people need to be prepared to educate the dog otherwise it is a waste of money buying the gear because the owners give up.We see plenty more that give up .

Generally we tell people to get it done professionally at first for 12 months & then if they wish do so from there as the dog has manners & understands the clipper sounds .

If this isn't an option then they need to work on there plan on handling the dog on a table first & foremost & training it to the clippers(if it hans't been groomed yet ??) Some go total feral the first time & this can really make or break the experience of being groomed.

We tell anyone who wishes to do it themselves to work on a 4 weekly schedule for as long as possible,it is easier to skim over a well maintained coat than clip an over grown dog (this is when injuries may occur if they don't understand the sensitive areas & how to hold clippers & the area)

Thank you for all the replies. The dog has been groomed a few times by a groomer, it is just exceedingly difficult to get an appointment. The owner has worked hard on handling the dog since it was a puppy - it is used to being handled all over, used to sounds of hair dryer, etc, and was taken to the groomers so it would be used to the sounds. The coat is well maintained - brushed daily, and combed out about every other day, so it is not matted. It gets the occasional knots, but these are dealt with as soon as they are found. And, the owner understands the importance of a clean dry coat if the dog is to be clipped, they are probably just a bit hesitant about their ability.

I have learnt (gradually) to do my dogs myself over the past few years.

Their first few clips from me were truly horrendous. But I got better in time.

There are some great youtube clips on clipping your dog. They give a really good visual demonstration of how to do it - much better than we could describe here.

So tell your friend to do some web surfing, watch some videos, and just remember that most of the videos assume that you've already done the full brush-out, then bath, then blow dry. So while they don't show that bit, it is nevertheless essential to getting a nice even clip.

If you don't mind it looking a bit rough, the blow dry bit is optional (but the clippers don't work on a wet coat - the dog would still need to dry off first, but air drying would be ok). If you want it to look nice and smooth and velvety, yes you need to blow dry first and it is quite time-consuming.

Spend some time thinking about an appropriate surface to groom the dog. It takes a while, and can be very hard on your back. So find a table top that is a comfortable height, get a good non-slip surface happening and excellent lighting. And make sure you are careful with sharp scissors and clippers - safety first!

I'm learning! Fortunately, most mistakes do grow out! :)

The dog is still in one piece, I'm glad to report. :thumbsup:

i'm with noisy on this ['allo miss mina :D]

i got from santa last year a wahl kit quite like this! and even tho it's taken me, well 12 months to become comfortable using it, it's much more than just a trimmer.

i have 2 x-breed swfs: bella, a wire coated JR/xMalt and byron [rescue], malt/x-?-but vet thinks a tibby! both are single coated breeds and both have long growth, with bella suffering bad hair days every day of her wee life. just in the last week/10 days and with my wee wahl trimmer, i took about 2 to 3 inches of length off each. it's compact and precise to handle feet, eyes and butt BUT it also handled the expanse of their 7 or so kg bods and not once [read: NOT ONCE] did i need to stop to allow this wee battery-operated gizmo to cool down [i did check however periodically]. i started at about 2:30 pm and [including grinding their nails] i'd finished both by a little after 5 with not a drop of blood spilt [of course i've heard the horror stories so i am mindful and awfully cautious].

my tool and it's brilliant btw, appears to be exactly the same as that in my link; it's a wahl so reputation precedes it. my pack didn't come with that comb tho and i did have to buy my own batteries.

the poodle coat is not all that different to my dogs' coat so essentially [and we're not talking show class jobs here], the application wouldn't be all that different. my stumbling block was learning how to properly use the tool and getting comfortable clipping my dogs. happy days and 45 bucks a pop saved :D *woohoo*

Hi S&F! :D

Like most things, the right tools make a huge difference.

I have the Wahl 2-speed electric AND the TWO battery trimmers. Some blunt ended scissors and some trimming scissors. Between them, the job gets done eventually. :laugh:

I definitely recommend the nail grinder. I took a few weeks and got mine used to the nail file before going to the grinder and she's fine with it. It was a two person job to do the nail clipping.

When I first wanted to groom my own dogs, I read the advice on this site a lot of people made it sound really difficult and scary. It nearly put me off and then I thought if they can do it surely I can because I'm usually pretty good at most things. It's not hard or scary at all if you are co-ordinated! If you're clumsy then you might have a problem I guess. I did a good job when I groomed my cavs for the first time (it didn't take 2 hours as someone suggested it might, not even close) and now after a few years I'm great at it and fly through it (and that's only after probably doing 20 grooms). I've never even come close to nicking the dog. If the dog is well-behaved it'll be a breeze for you. I use a 7 blade on my cavs, I like them short, it means I have to do it less often. I use the Wahl 2 speed clippers. You're friends will be great, just tell them to have confidence!!

Edited by Akay

Guest donatella

Let's be honest, you don't need a Bachelors degree, just instructions, the right tools and plenty of practice.

I home groom now because I couldnt find a groomer to meet my needs. As others have said the first few times are a bit hit and miss but you get better and it's hair so it grows back.

I found watching vids online helpful too, actually seeing the process rather then read about it.