Gsd Information

emmav

Hey DOL people

I''ve been a lurker for a good long while, and I'm outing myself now. I'm the proud owner of an 18 month old desexed Kelpie x German shepherd bitch (at best guess as she is a pound pup) we are looking to add to our family and we would like a registered purebred gsd . I am in perth and although I know there are some fantastic breeders here, through my lurking I have identified a couple of breeders whose dogs remind a lot of the dogs I had back in the UK. The breeders whose dogs I admire would be Beychief, Gipfel and a couple of recent google searches gave me Rantino and jyetara. So my querie is, are there any breeders in perth that utilize similar bloodlines or do I need to go interstate - if so not a problem, and also does anyone know if jyetara still breed? because there website was pretty old, but the dogs are amazing. I apologize now for punctuation or spelling mistakes I'm typing this off my knackered iPhone thanks in advance (hopefully)

Hey there :)

Jyetara is Tina Boyd. She is not breeding any sheps atm but Rantino has some of her bloodlines :)

In Vic you could contact Macklin German Shepherds, in QLD there is Maraya German Shepherds - Mary Jefferson. Fax German Shepherds and also Vomsirius German Shepherds. In NSW the kennels that i know of are Fluermack,Maxvonchace and Sharon Markich from GSD World.

Those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head and most are Old Style breeders (some are working line) but if you go here http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/german-shepherd-dog.asp?state=&Submit=Go there are many other great working line breeders you can look at also. If you want to pm feel free, happy to chat :)

Hey German _shep_fan

Thank you so much for the suggestions I'll go and take a look at them now. I am after an "older style / working line" shep but didn't want to start a heated debate over showline / working line. I'll definitely pm you soon thank you very much for the offer - your two are beautiful by the way very much like what I'm hoping for. I'll attach some pics of my crazy lady as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I'd have another one of her in a heart beat, but she's a one in a million pound puppy special. Thanks again :))))

Hey Megan I totally agree with you It's not a decision I'm making quickly. I'll be taking a good long time to choose the right breeder and a dog that will fit in with our family. I've had a huge career change recently and that's the reason why I'm confident in taking on a second dog now. I'd love to get into Schutzhund but that's not going to happen in perth, but I'm hoping to get into obedience/ herding/ tracking or agility so the dogs will have a purpose. I'm doing a heap of research at the moment on how to put this into place but there are defiantly some working lines that would be a bit too hardcore for what I'm after so I get what you're saying :) do you have shepherds? I was so nervous posting here for the first time but it seems to be going ok haha

Thanks Aussie3 - for me it's an emotional connection to the way the older style look. I grew up with shepherds back in the uk and they are the most amazing dogs. I'll be starting the search in earnest in the new year after I get back from the uk, but as with my crazy shady lady a dog to me is for life and then some and I want to consider my options very carefully. We get married next November and hope to start a family soon after so ideally would like to get the pup settled and started on a training plan before that happens thank you for your words if encouragement and I'll keep you posted :)

Thank you both PRADA68 and WextremeG I'm sorry If I've spelt your names wrong its this cursed stupid iPhone . I'll go and check both your suggestions. I'm flying tomorrow morning so until I get to the other end I won't be able to respond, but thank you very much for your input. It is very much appreciated and German _Shep - Fan I will message you as soon as I get Internet in sunny England :)

Jyetata and Rantino both started with my lines and are very different to Macklin.

When looking for any breed, I would advise looking for a breeder who freely supplies test results of all hereditary diseases. One who will give you access to meet as many of their dogs as possible. A breeder who can look outside their kennels with an open mind and doesn't just breed with what is in their yard. Remember that a breeder that breeds for color or coat type specifically may be more forgiving of faults to continue their preference rather than use the best available dog to strive for the dog that most fits the standard.

Jyetata and Rantino both started with my lines and are very different to Macklin.

When looking for any breed, I would advise looking for a breeder who freely supplies test results of all hereditary diseases. One who will give you access to meet as many of their dogs as possible. A breeder who can look outside their kennels with an open mind and doesn't just breed with what is in their yard. Remember that a breeder that breeds for color or coat type specifically may be more forgiving of faults to continue their preference rather than use the best available dog to strive for the dog that most fits the standard.

This and This.

The GSD has a very long list of health problems and for many there are no tests, so any breeder who claims to test for every health issue is telling a lie. The OP might consider getting a Rescue GSD, as there are many wonderful GSD's looking for a forever home.

I personally would look past a dog who's parents hadn't been hip or elbow scored. Seen it too many times with friends who've bought byb or shelter dogs who had gotten hip displasia or arthritis in the joints young, and subsequently were laid to rest early despite all the best effect and drugs to keep them alive comfortably :(

I agree with all the possible testing but just please be aware (as I'm sure you are) that things can still go wrong. I have a lovely working line boy from a wonderful breeder who did everything she could and unfortunately he has severe hip dysplasia (first diagnosed at 10 months)so total hip replacements here we come :(

I would personally avoid 'working lines' mixed with pure pet lines. A working x Macklin, why would you do that?

Decide what you want temperament wise as well and personally, I would go visit the parents and see their temperaments. There is not enough emphasis on temperament in this country compared to what you would have seen in the UK, and you might be used to something quite different. Weak temps and crossing show line dogs working dogs is becoming more common and for some people it's doing them no favours at all.