Restraing Dogs On Utes

WExtremeG

For everyone who has dogs and utes- How do you restrain your dogs on the back of a ute?

We recently got a ute and want to make sure our dog is safely secured when traveling on the back- wondering what methods everyone is using? So far she was fine just going down our street, being cross-tied so that she's in the direct center of the tray- being cross-tied doesn't give her an option to move to either side of the tray, but she can put her front paws on the cab (which obviously is not good) am thinking I need to install an anchor point in the middle on the tray floor- so she can't jump up? What collar/harness should we use- I don't want anything that can potentially slip off.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb q coming up... How do I stop the cage (if I get one) from sliding about do I use rope to hold it on the anchor points on either side of the tray at the front or do I take it (the ute) somewhere to be modified? Cheers, never owned a ute before :)

Very short chain attached to the middle but as close to the cab end as possible.

If you are going to use a harness attach a back up with a collar, I've seen dogs escape from harnesses at red lights! eek1.gif

I'm also currently without ute at the moment frown.gif

For those with chains in the middle I'd advise very constant inspections. I know a lovely farming family that had their up and coming kelpie seriously injured in a ute fall as the chain on the ute tray had stretched ever so slightly over time (and un-noticed by them obviously). He fell off the side coming home after a muster on an agistment property - after dark - and had his back feet dragging for an unknown time until another motorist flagged them down and pointed it out. His feet were badly damaged and his neck badly bruised.

This chain had been carefully checked and installed so that the tethered dogs couldn't get near the side. But the individual links were later found to be stretched, adding enough length for him to fall off.

He did make a full recovery with some intensive vet and home care. But the stress was terrible. He was in pain and his owners were obviously devastated. Plus the old dog had to continue his work while the youngster was out of action for a decent time.

He is still an awesome worker and family dog now and I was very glad he fully recovered. But it was a shocking incident that left it's scars on him and the family. He came so close to being killed.

For those with chains in the middle I'd advise very constant inspections. I know a lovely farming family that had their up and coming kelpie seriously injured in a ute fall as the chain on the ute tray had stretched ever so slightly over time (and un-noticed by them obviously). He fell off the side coming home after a muster on an agistment property - after dark - and had his back feet dragging for an unknown time until another motorist flagged them down and pointed it out. His feet were badly damaged and his neck badly bruised.

This chain had been carefully checked and installed so that the tethered dogs couldn't get near the side. But the individual links were later found to be stretched, adding enough length for him to fall off.

He did make a full recovery with some intensive vet and home care. But the stress was terrible. He was in pain and his owners were obviously devastated. Plus the old dog had to continue his work while the youngster was out of action for a decent time.

He is still an awesome worker and family dog now and I was very glad he fully recovered. But it was a shocking incident that left it's scars on him and the family. He came so close to being killed.

Thankyou for this story - this is exactly what I don't want to happen ever! How scary for everyone involved- :(

I hate dogs on the back of utes :(

Why's that Aussie3- if you don't mind me asking?

I just get so scared they might fall off or get hung over the side etc. It just freaks me out :eek: Whenever I see one I get tense :laugh:

Yeah, I know what you're saying- I always see dogs without any restraint- makes me so nervous that I won't be behind them (I change lanes instead) the dogs are walking all over the tray side to side and hanging over the back :/

I hate dogs on the back of utes :(

Why's that Aussie3- if you don't mind me asking?

I just get so scared they might fall off or get hung over the side etc. It just freaks me out :eek: Whenever I see one I get tense :laugh:

Yeah, I know what you're saying- I always see dogs without any restraint- makes me so nervous that I won't be behind them (I change lanes instead) the dogs are walking all over the tray side to side and hanging over the back :/

Yes! I think a cage is the best option, it would be for me anyway :laugh:

I've witnessed a dog being thrown off the back of a ute when it went around a corner, when I was walking one day. The dog's (GSD) back feet just touched the ground and it hopped along for a few very long seconds before the driver pulled over. I was too far away to flag him or shout. The dog fell off on the driver's side and was probably seen in the side mirror, fortunately for the dog. Really made me aware of the length of chain that should be used when tethering in a ute.