How Do You Teach Focus?

IMO there isn't a "one thing" that you teach that gets great focus, rather a series of things that teach your dog that focusing on you = rewards come. Here's what I do (well, try to do):

* ToT (with the criteria being looking at me). I also do a mini-ToT: hold food away from me, arm outstretched to the side. They'll focus on the food. Say nothing at all. Eventually they'll look at you wondering what is going on, give an instant "yes" and give food from the other hand. I then eventually expect a longer focus.

* Build up a good playing relationship with your dog, starting at home and eventually moving to other locations when you have great drive and focus. When you're the most interesting, wonderful person to play with they just won't be interested in other dogs. The problem is that most owners are b o r i n g and dogs do get more fun if they ditch the owner.

* It's Yer Choice: I think it is explained on this forum too. Once I have them showing restraint I add looking at me to be part of the criteria. The trick is not to push this too far. You want your dog to be controlled but very keen. If you extend the waiting time too long your dog will become disengaged and they'll learn "switching off and relaxing = I get treats".

* LAT or a deflection (kiss kiss noise and then a treat) is great to break sniffing or staring. However, if you're using this often when you're working you need to examine your relationship with your dog because they aren't focused on the job.

Hi PME,

Agree with megan 100% & very well said. There is no one thing but lots of different things that lead to really firm grounding for a strong relationship & IMHO that is key to getting them to focus on you.

You do all of the above & you end up being "IT" the best thing on the planet . And their heart as well. Play in so underestimated I reckon. Especially Tugs or fetch or something like

that where the dog has to focus & you are the one controlling the game. When I play with my 2, they are completely 100% focused on me. I started this from a young age & now when we are out walking I seem to

be able to just have their focus so easily, on or off lead. Also I make sure I am slightly unpredictable, so it keeps their attention, change things up on a daily basis. It keeps them thinking, Better watch mum

don't know what she will do next. While out walking I might suddenly turn around or something. They have even turned that into a game now & turn around & bark at me without me asking.

The TOT, look at me was another thing I introduced using food. Works wonders, especially with Stella. I just say"look" & she spins around so fast & totally focuses on me.

You spend lots of time with Hamish & that is another point that can be over looked but so very important. I spend hours with mine everyday & I am sure it pays off long term. Good luck Pretty miss Emma.

Hope I was of some help. Sorry for the lengthy post. I 'm sure you will get people with far more experience than me that will have tonnes of other ideas no doubt :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Start with the basics! what is your dog most driven for? Learning how to play a game with them that keeps them engaged and teaches them the rules of engagement is important too. How we handle ourselves makes a big difference too. Look at something like playing tug, there are a lot of things we as handlers can do that can turn our dogs off tugging and decrease drive or put them off the toy.

Building their drive and focus and teaching them how to play with you without distractions present is really important, once you have that foundation you can make their focus more durable by adding distractions and teaching them buying into the distraction means a loss for them.

I have just brought Flirt Poles for my 2 from Santa.

Hope they love them. They should as they both love tugs. Sonny loves scent work the most though. He loves playing "find it" doesn't matter where we are either. He's just completely focuses & is on a mission until whatever I have hidden is found. It's all about finding what makes them tick.

Edited by BC Crazy

A few things to add...

As handlers, we need to be prepared to give as much (or more) focus to our dogs as we are wanting to receive from them. The habit many handlers have of delivering a single reward & then disconnecting from their dog even for a few seconds promotes lack of focus in dogs.

Rather than deal with distractions as they come up, it is better to set them up so that the handler is expecting the distraction & has some control over it.

Extended focus needs to be trained gradually and needs to be continually rewarded. We tend to skip from rewarding every 1-2 steps in the beginning & then once the behaviour is starting to look good, we think we only need to reward at the end of exercises. It is always good to go back to foundation engagement exercises...even with mature, obedient & trained dogs.

Edited by Vickie

Great post Vickie :thumbsup:

Handlers not giving dogs focus drives me crazy as does under rewarding.

Particularly in agility training you see the dog take an off course obstacle (handler error) and the handler throws up their hands and/or exclaims in disappointment. Terribly confusing for the dog. I stuff up a LOT (ask anyone!) but I curse myself with a laugh in my voice and body language, celebrate with my dog for doing what I inadvertently told him/her too and reward with a treat/tug.

:thumbsup: TSD and Vickie. Handler focus on/engagement with dog is sooooo important. I always remember Suzanne Clothier saying years ago at a seminar - "Always be available to your dog" - such good advice - and if you can't, then park the dog somewhere where s/he can chill out - on a mat, a crate, in "park".

There's an interesting discussion going on in a Rally forum at the moment about the dis-engagement that some obedience/Rally handlers show - really noticeable in Rally where handlers are allowed, and encouraged to talk and interact with their dogs.

Hmmm - TSD - when we've had an oops on course, I'm usually busy apologising to Kirra for bad handling as we get ourselves going again. :laugh: In some ways, I see an oops of some sort as an opportunity to really gun the rest of the course - try 'risky' manoeuvres I might not have done if we were still on a Q .. things like - more distant sends to weaves, and so on - so we end up having great fun.

I think one of the hardest things to learn for many dog owners is how to interact with your dog - it's not something that generally comes naturally to many people, and every dog has a different 'style' of play they enjoy so you have to learn different ways to make it work for that dog. How I'd keep my beagle engaged is different to how I'd keep the Mal engaged with me. What has been said above about how engaged the handler is, is so true, especially when we want our dogs to learn that it's not just the reward itself but sharing in the experience with us that is also rewarding.

Was watching a Michael Ellis clip worship.gif the other day. He was talking about the fact that teaching behaviour once you have engagement/focus is really easy. Teaching them without it can be very hard and can do a lot of damage to the behaviours and relationship.

So true!

So often people try to get focus because training is not working, rather than using focus as a starting point. These are the ones you see begging their dogs to stay or play with them during training. It's bloody hard work!

I think many issues people have in training come up because they missed building the right foundations on focus and engagement in the beginning. The command is just the exercise the dog does to earn the reward, teaching a new behaviour is definitely easier when the dog's focus, engagement and understanding of how to gain the reward is solid.

Hope they love them. They should as they both love tugs. Sonny loves scent work the most though. He loves playing "find it" doesn't matter where we are either. He's just completely focuses & is on a mission until whatever I have hidden is found. It's all about finding what makes them tick.

G'Day

I would be most grateful if you could please give me a link or contact for buying flirt poles

Thanks so much !!!!

K9pro sells a really one. Not designed for gripping but really razzes the dogs up.

ETA: they have two: a traditional one and a very colourful one. I have the latter and love it.

Edited by megan_

G'Day

I would be most grateful if you could please give me a link or contact for buying flirt poles

Thanks so much !!!!

Make your own. It's only a stick, a string and a rag ;-)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4895957_build-flirt-pole.html

G'Day

Thanks so much !!!!

Hi CC, am on hols atm sorry for slack response back. I got my flirt poles from K9 Pro. Both mine loved them & it really gets them focused :).