Council Permissions

Leema

when I 1st applied for a 3 dog permit, not a problem, my neighbours are great :D then when I put in for an amendment to my permit from 3 to 5, the rangers came did there inspection, had to photocopy our Dogs Vic membership, they took pics of each dog, they also said they were impressed with all our sashes/rossetes hanging on the wall :D

we live on a small residentual house block, they told us we could go up to 6 dogs on the condition we inform them of the new dog before it arrives.

Yahoo 5 dog permit granted :laugh:

We have 4 medium-large dogs and a miniature pig, on a largish suburban block (about 750m3). We currently don't have council permission, but I'm not too concerned as our neighbours are just as bad as we are (one of them's breeding some kind of loud birds in the garage, someone up the road has a goat, and there's chickens and roosters everywhere around here)

It's very much a "mind your own business and don't worry about other people" kind of an area which is awesome. That said, if there was an issue, I'd have no hesitation in packing my lot up and moving anywhere I had to so I didn't have to get rid of my pets.

gee that sucks you cant get the go ahead to have dog number 4, wish you lick on the go round :)

My local council say .....

Keeping Animals

Generally residents may keep an unlimited amount of animals as pets, provided they do not cause a nuisance through containment, noise or hygiene issues.

If complaints are submitted to Council and proven, then restrictions on the number and how they are kept may be imposed as Council sees fit.

Restrictions may be considered where the following circumstances exist:

Containment — the animal is not positively contained.

This means that the property has not been provided with fencing or enclosures which will ensure that the type of animal kept on the premises are contained wholly within the property at all times.

Noise control — where animals kept on the premises are generating offensive noise as defined under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.

Hygiene — where conditions exist which would unreasonable affect the health and wellbeing of occupants, nearby residents and the animal. Such conditions may include:

Accumulation of faeces

Accumulation of stale, rotten food or bones

Inadequate disposal of faeces

Attraction of rodents and flies

The unreasonable existence of odours

Inadequate drainage causing animals to be kept or exercised on poorly drained ground surfaces

Infestations of fleas and ticks or other parasites

Unreasonable accumulations of hair, fur or skin

Where a problem is identified with the keeping of animals and it cannot be resolved through consultation, Council may issue a Notice of Intention to serve an Order. An Order is an instruction from Council to comply with restrictions imposed. Normally, the animal owner will be given every opportunity to make representation to Council prior to a formal Order being issued. In situations that constitute a serious risk to public health or safety, an emergency Order may be issued without prior notice.

If you are planning to keep animals for commercial purposes then you may be required to obtain development consent from Council.

I assume you are on a rural property in the Onka council area? otherwise - Wow - given it is Onkaparinga Council - I reckon you are really lucky to have been granted the permission for 3 dogs

Onkaprainga Council by-laws state one dog per flat/unit, two dogs per house and three for rural properties.

Onkaparinga Council will stick to this ruling and quote it to people to suit their purposes.

Onka Council is pretty "stick in the mud" about stuff and are, 'apparently', not granting any more kennel licenses in their council area.

Kennel licenses aren't transferrable in the Onka Council either. I know of a breeder who had a 5 or 6 dog license in one area and moved to a larger, semi-rural property and was then told that they could only have 3 dogs on that property.

I've had some pretty negative dealings with this council - (not over dogs) and they can be pretty nasty. My experience is not alone.

I wish you all the best in your fight - but tread carefully. This council will stick to the letter of the law - and given that 2 dogs is the maximum allowed without written permission, I'd be being pretty careful.

One of the reasons I am seriously looking at moving councils - that and the most expensive rates in Adelaide.....

Thanks for your insight, jr. We are in a residential property, a normal suburban block. I know quite a few people in Onk who have 3 dogs, and haven't had any problems getting number 3 permitted.

I don't know anyone that has 4 (on a residential block) though. :(

How many can you have in NSW?

There's no limit. Only get problems if you get neighbours complaining, I have 11 dogs at my place.

:eek: *Starts looking for a job in NSW*

yep our council's do.stupid things like base numbers on weight lol .. our council does that ...I currently have 4 adults and 4 babies lol

Thanks for your insight, jr. We are in a residential property, a normal suburban block. I know quite a few people in Onk who have 3 dogs, and haven't had any problems getting number 3 permitted.

I don't know anyone that has 4 (on a residential block) though. :(

I had no problems getting permission for 3 dogs with the Onkaparinga council, rangers came and inspected the property, and said that permission would be granted, he said they had never had problems with whippets and greyhounds, so no problems.

Good luck Leema, my friend has got a permit for 4 whippets, it might depend which ranger comes too.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!