Hip/elbow Scoring After Weaning

Inevitablue

Hi Guys,

I know that a bitches joints etc need time to firm back up again after whelping as the pelvis ect opens up for ease of birthing. Do you think getting a hip score could give a true indication if she was to be done as soon as her pups were weaned?

Edited by Inevitablue

Slightly off topic, but my bitch was scored aged 2 - 8-9 weeks after her season and those results were pretty standard and not as good as I was expecting. If I were to re x ray and score her (aged 3.5), when should I do it? She has puppies now who are fourteen weeks old.

Edited by Parkeyre

why would you get a hip score done AFTER breeding?

I agree. I know a bitch from a bloodline with very low score, who competes at obedience at a high level with no signs, who has hip scores far greater than breed average.

ETA the scores were not from the way she was bought up just genetic lottery.

Edited by Janba

For a number of reasons, the stud is 0:0, 0:0, he isn't being stood at stud any longer due to age and it's a bloodline that deserves to be preserved. I'm comfortable with my decision. I'd still use my bitch even if she comes back only rated as fair, as her trainability and temperament are second to none. I have a list of people as long as your arm for people wanting a pup from her who are aware she isn't scored yet.

I'm importing semen for her second and last litter, and I will find out her scores before that.

I'm just wondering if as their ligaments loosen for whelping that would affect the joint and the subsequent reading?

For a number of reasons, the stud is 0:0, 0:0, he isn't being stood at stud any longer due to age and it's a bloodline that deserves to be preserved. I'm comfortable with my decision. I'd still use my bitch even if she comes back only rated as fair, as her trainability and temperament are second to none. I have a list of people as long as your arm for people wanting a pup from her who are aware she isn't scored yet.

I'm importing semen for her second and last litter, and I will find out her scores before that.

I'm just wondering if as their ligaments loosen for whelping that would affect the joint and the subsequent reading?

I do not know

but am interested to read answers to your question.

Sorry can't help answer your post whelping question - but my girl was x-rayed in Norway and came back with A hips at 2 years of age - I redid them in Perth at age 2 3/4's and less than a week later she came into season and her scores were 1,1

The reason I'm asking, as I've previously discussed getting her scored with my vet, is a comment he made.

I don't advocate being slack and time getting away from me, but when he asks what scores do I want, with a chuckle and a 'huh?' from me it's got me thinking. He says they have found using different pre meds and induction agents for the xrays alters the way the hips sit in the socket due to full or partial relaxation of the ligaments. Hence me wondering if pregnancy hormones could influence it as well.

Janba, your lucky in Border Collies that there are a large number of breeders breeding and selecting for genuine performance. I don't have that luxury in my breed, so I have to gamble more than a BC breeder. Hence why I've looked o/s to help me achieve what I want to.

I do not know the answer, but I would leave as much time as possible after puppies to hip score. Obviously prior to her coming into season again, but I'd wait as long as you can.

Pregnancy hormones are linked to how laxity and some papers point to greater laxity during subsequent pregnancies (something to consider!).

Yes, the hip ligaments loosen when they whelp and can take some time to firm up again depending how active the bitch has been before and after whelping. I had one hyper girl who who never slowed down at all and managed to get her hips a good cm out of the sockets after whelping. Three months of vitamin C, swimming and walking her pulling into a harness and the hips were back were they should have been. I would wait at least 3-4 months after whelping to do hips if possible.

The main issue to be aware of when x-raying a bitch is the effect of relaxin on her ligaments. Being in season is not generally the issue (some say yes, most say no), but if a bitch is pregnant she produces relaxin, which 'relaxes' the ligaments (as an aid to birth etc). Here is some info on relaxin: http://www.biolrepro.../3/719.full.pdf

OFA recommends not x-raying until a month after weaning.

In answer to the question about the 'ideal' time to x-ray, if you get to pick your date, this is generally at least 4 months after a bitches last season (if she wasn't in whelp), and not within a month of when she is due in again.

Edited by espinay2